Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Taking advantage of good weather!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 03:24 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We don't get a lot of good riding weather in February and the temperatures are taking another nose dive this weekend. It was hovering around freezing this morning and the winds were in the 10-15MPH range. Wind is a very important consideration for this ride as it's nothing but flat farm land with no trees or buildings for windbreaks. The cornfields provide a little shelter from the wind in the summer but those are gone this time of the year. We had tailwinds on the ride to the restaurant but fought those pesky headwinds on the return trip. Speeds of 15-17MPH turned into 10-12 on the return

Four of us met and rode a total of 30 miles. We had one flat but it wasn't on my bike We even had the luxury of a SAG wagon on the ride. Two friends who were meeting us at the restaurant tagged along in their van. It really helped to have a floor pump available for that flat.

All except the fellow in blue will be riding TOSRV in May and we're trying to get some miles before this event. I just hope we get some warmer and less windy weather for future training rides.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-08-08, 03:39 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yep, February in the Heartland generally sucks for riding. I was able to get out for ten mile rides Tuesday (when it was in the upper 50's!!) and again this afternoon (in the 40's). On the first ride, I was chased/bothered midway by 3 dogs - had to walk and sternly and repeatedly say "No!" to get away from them. Have never had dog problems in that area. Today I had my Halt! with me and, of course, no doggies.
How do folks in Ohio get in shape by May for TOSRV? Takes me all Spring, Summer and part of Fall to get ready for the Hilly Hundred.
Old 02-08-08, 03:43 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Brrrrrr! No wonder you're all bundled up!

Nothing like seizing the moment -- glad you got your ride in and that you have no frostbite to report.
Old 02-08-08, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez, you all look like you could rob a few banks. I'd forgotten how much of one's face the balaclava can cover.
Old 02-08-08, 04:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Geez, you all look like you could rob a few banks. I'd forgotten how much of one's face the balaclava can cover.
Those Ski Masks are perfect for winter riding. Now if I acn get one to cover the nose and still breath into the headwinds- It would be ideal.

Winter and cold weather riding are not a problem. You just have to wrap up and keep pedalling.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-08-08, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Excellent. I still haven't braved the weather yet this year, but I've been riding the trainer. Wish I lived down your way, maybe I'd be a little more motivated.

Is that John on the left?
Old 02-08-08, 04:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's 32 here now, feels warm. Unfortunately we just had a big snowstorm and everything is covered in ice & snow. Hard to walk on the sidewalks.

I've been hoping to get out a bit, but am not about to try it on ice. Cars weren't even making it up the hill in front of my house the past two days.

I do have a question for you, what is that green'ish like substance that is covering the ground behind you? I thought the entire world was covered in white.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-08-08, 05:13 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I do have a question for you, what is that green'ish like substance that is covering the ground behind you? I thought the entire world was covered in white.
It's probably some form of Fungus. Comes from having too much damp and not enough sun.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-08-08, 05:19 PM
NadaKid

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No can do good weather here.
Old 02-08-08, 06:27 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Those Ski Masks are perfect for winter riding. Now if I acn get one to cover the nose and still breath into the headwinds- It would be ideal.

Winter and cold weather riding are not a problem. You just have to wrap up and keep pedalling.
You can't tell from the picture but my balaclava has the nose piece and mesh in the mouth area for breathing. I didn't pull it up over the nose until after we started the ride. The nose piece is open under the nose making it easy to breath and keeps the glasses from fogging.

Mine is similar to this one. I bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods.

https://www.blueiceclothing.com/produ...vawindpro.html

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-08-08, 06:32 PM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Excellent. I still haven't braved the weather yet this year, but I've been riding the trainer. Wish I lived down your way, maybe I'd be a little more motivated.

Is that John on the left?
Left to right - John, Dick, Beverly and Henry. You'll get to meet all of them on XOBA this year.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-08-08, 06:38 PM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
It's 32 here now, feels warm. Unfortunately we just had a big snowstorm and everything is covered in ice & snow. Hard to walk on the sidewalks.

I've been hoping to get out a bit, but am not about to try it on ice. Cars weren't even making it up the hill in front of my house the past two days.

It's called grass - do you remember that

Fortunately we don't get too much snow. We've had quite a bit of rain lately and lots of flooding.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-08-08, 06:41 PM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BRRRRRR!!! Hope it melts soon and you can get in a ride.

Originally Posted by wayne pattee

-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-08-08, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly
Left to right - John, Dick, Beverly and Henry. You'll get to meet all of them on XOBA this year.
Can't wait. I was going to ask you if John was coming back this year...glad to hear that he is.

BTW we had about an inch and a half of wet new snow on the ground this morning. I guess my more northern location was the reason.
Old 02-08-08, 06:49 PM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Yep, February in the Heartland generally sucks for riding. I was able to get out for ten mile rides Tuesday (when it was in the upper 50's!!) and again this afternoon (in the 40's). On the first ride, I was chased/bothered midway by 3 dogs - had to walk and sternly and repeatedly say "No!" to get away from them. Have never had dog problems in that area. Today I had my Halt! with me and, of course, no doggies.
How do folks in Ohio get in shape by May for TOSRV? Takes me all Spring, Summer and part of Fall to get ready for the Hilly Hundred.
We try to get into shape with headwinds and hills There are no hills on the route we did today but you can always count on headwinds. We have several dams in the area that were built after the 1913 flood in Dayton. The dams are now part of the Metro Parks and the areas around them are quite hilly. They make great rides for getting in shape.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-08-08, 06:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a comp day from work today, since they were promising good weather - I'm not too far South of you guys. I did a few odd jobs around the house and didn't get on the road until noon, when it was up to about 40 F or so. This was my first chance to ride in over a month. I have been doing 30 miles, but after a month off my butt was kicked after 22.5 miles. At least my Brooks B17 still felt good!

I didn't have to bundle up as much as you guys did. I wore a pair of cycling shorts with a thermal base layer and a pair of wind pants over that, and a long sleeve jersey with a wind/rain jacket over that. I am usually comfortable down to the mid 30's with just a regular helmet with a rain cover to block the vent holes, and a headband to cover the ears.

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi cycling gloves that are pretty useless if it's any colder than it was today, although today it was about right.

As long as I was in sunshine I was OK, but if I was in the shade it got pretty nippy.
Old 02-08-08, 06:58 PM

Hey Wayne, you can't remove snow with that old shovel, the handle's all bent....
Old 02-08-08, 07:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish I could sympathize, but we have at least twice that much snow here right now.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-08-08, 07:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Bev-I can greatly appreciate the wind issue. I don't mind riding in 30 degree temps but the wind can be a real pill. At least you had 3 nice sized fellows to ride behind-but knowing you, you were probably out front pulling most of the time!! On rides like that you'll find me perched behind the biggest rider I can find!!
Old 02-08-08, 08:02 PM
NadaKid

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Wayne, you can't remove snow with that old shovel, the handle's all bent....
Thats a 50+ snow shovel.
Old 02-09-08, 05:08 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Thats a 50+ snow shovel.
Yup, LOTS easier on the back. I moved from Northwest Indiana, at the bottom of the Lake Michigan pipe to St Louis. That first Thanksgiving my next door neighbor marveled at my snow shovel collection. He couldn't understand why anybody would have 8.

I was trying to figure out why he shoveled all of the snow from around the car before he swept the snow off of the top of the car.
Old 02-09-08, 06:41 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Have I told you how much I hate the trainer. Well this is why I keep it.............I hate the cold even more. My hat is off to you but I cannot bring myself to ride in this weather.

In return I will not be complaining when it hits 100 this summer!
Old 02-09-08, 11:52 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Went to the LBS this morning- and pm was out in the garden. That green stuff is part of the lawn I cut last week but while there- Took a pic of the hardy cyclamen- Cyclamen Coum that normally bloom in April. And the Iris but I even think they are early aswell.

Trouble is- I have some work to do on the bike for tomorrow and My back aches.

Have heard that spring has arrived early over here. Proof is in the garden but not in the weather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
green.jpg (49.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg
green cyclamen.jpg (55.1 KB, 3 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 02-09-08, 12:11 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly

Thanks, Beverly, I thought you'd be the petite one without the moustache!

Congratulations - I had a one hour upper body workout shifting 60 feet of very wet snow. It's in the 30s here in Ann Arbor, but very sloppy surfaces. grrr

Road Fan
Old 02-09-08, 05:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Try not to hate me too much. This was the scene this afternoon as I struggled to keep up with my son and his friend riding by the lake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.