Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ol' Fuj Goes to War Eagle

Given recent organizational changes at work, given that my wife left me... again (she was up here for a visit last weekend and returned home to Louisiana on Monday), and given the recent crappy weather that followed a certain member of the forum as he came south for a vacation, I've been unusually grouchy, curmudgeonly, irascible etc. and was desperate for a ride today. I sensed that Ol' Fuj was ready as well. He's been cooped up in the house all week. I thought about riding south over Mt. Gaylor but got the impression from Ol' Fuj that he wanted to go somewhere he'd never been before. So, we headed east out U.S. 412 toward War Eagle Mill. The outbound leg was great. We had a mild to moderate tail wind, and the traffic on 412 had not built up to its normal level yet. We turned north on Ark. State 303 and got into the Ozarks.

Fuj was ready for a break, so we stopped above the War Eagle River valley. Just beyond the guardrail is a precipitous drop (200 or 300') to the river, and the valley is visible below. It's a peaceful place and a beautiful view.

Fuj is posing on the right for the shot. There has been a mill in that location since 1838. It was washed away by a flood in 1848 and later rebuilt. It was burned (by design) during the Civil War to keep Union troops from using it. It was rebuilt in 1873. It burned (by default) in 1924 and was rebuilt again. It is a working mill. I buy corn meal there and give it to my mom. She says it's like the meal they had when she was a youngster. She always makes cornbread with it when I pass through on the way to Louisiana, yum!.

The bridge was by by the Illinois Steel Bridge Co. in 1907. The deck consists of some rather large wooden planks.

Between what's left of the old dam and the mill is an undershot water wheel, 18' in diameter. That's what drives the mill. By the way he was mugging for the camera, I could tell Ol' Fuj was enjoying the trip.

Here's a shot of the wheel taken from the bridge.

This is a shot of the dam. As I understand it, it has deteriorated over the years. To restore it at this point would probably require environmental impact statements, acts of congress, bribery, and years of lawsuits.

This is the front of the mill. There are two of the old mill stones mounted in the rail around the front porch. In the mill, one stone is stationary, and the other rotates, as I understand it. The geese are there all year and are spoiled by all the people who feed them. They walk around checking out the visitors and honk to their hearts' content.

I'm not much of a photographer, and my photo of the actual mill inside was too dark to see anything. There is a rather large belt (about 10" wide) that comes from the pulley on the water wheel up through the floor of the mill and connects to a large flywheel. There is a big manual clutch on the flywheel which allows the miller to start the wheels and gears inside.

Fuj and I decided to stop for one more photo of the valley as we climbed out.

After the pastoral beauty of the river, the valley, the mill, the geese, and the Ozarks, the inbound leg turned out to be the ride from h-ll. We had sustained headwinds at 17 mph and gusts to 35. I had to use the little ring on level ground at some points just to make headway and stay upright.

We stopped on the U.S. 412 bridge over Beaver Lake for this view of some bluffs. Beaver Lake is one of a few reservoirs on the White River. The water was a bit muddy today. Given the wind, I suppose that's par for the course.

Ol' Fuj and I climbed 2,148' today, half of which was into the *#!@$ wind. When we got back, my 58-year-old legs were screaming. Fuj was doing just fine.

I wore the new wind tights I bought last weekend when my better half was here. They worked well. I should have bought these last year!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    After the pastoral beauty of the river, the valley, the mill, the geese, and the Ozarks, the inbound leg turned out to be the ride from h-ll. We had sustained headwinds at 17 mph and gusts to 35. I had to use the little ring on level ground at some points just to make headway and stay upright.
    What a great place to ride. Thanks for the pictures.

It's great to know I'm not the only one who has had to use that little ring in headwinds With temperatures in the teens, winds 25-30 MPH and gusts up to 50, I won't be riding tomorrow
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride and pics, doc. Enjoyed the history lesson too. Thanks.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love rides to historic towns & places, along rivers, under bluffs. Your pics make me really miss those rides.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pictures and report. I like to ride through historic areas also. I think you are mistaken about not being a good photographer, those are good shots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You picked a great day for it. Arkansas weather was just great today!

Though I wish you didn't take so many nice pics. Now everybody is going to want to move here!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great ride, thanks for sharing. Nice pics!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    What a great place to ride. Thanks for the pictures.

It's great to know I'm not the only one who has had to use that little ring in headwinds With temperatures in the teens, winds 25-30 MPH and gusts up to 50, I won't be riding tomorrow
    You may have a headwind- but circular route and the Tailwinds are great. Don't fancy the temperature though.

Did a ride today and only 10mph winds forecast. Someone got it wrong. Not only smaller ring- but the lowest gear on the bike up the 5% slopes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics and story! Sounds like a fun ride, except for the headwind part. I enjoyed reading your post.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice scenery. I was afraid the title meant you were giving the bike to a kid on his way to school at Awwbern.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed reading your account and especially seeing the pictures. Ol' Fuj' seems like a nice friend. I'm 56 and have a new friend - New Surly. I'm looking forward to taking a long tour with him this summer and having him become Ol' Surl'.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great account, great pics, you deserve some pie!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love riding in the Ozarks, especially with a guy like you and a classy bike like 'Ol Fuj.... Let's get together soon. Great report and great pics.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Very nice scenery. I was afraid the title meant you were giving the bike to a kid on his way to school at Awwbern.
    Oh, no That would be frowned upon in these parts... we're just a few miles from the Univ. of Ark... probably considered some sort of felony!