Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The evil eBay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The evil eBay

Was just lurking..........

Found some tires in my model and with my color and at an incredible price.........pushed the button. Mine.

Lurking some more.........

Ran across my dream bike set up exactly as I'd like and in the color I always wanted. But I have 3 college tuitions and no money. I've emailed the seller and even the stem and bars are the perfect size........ Did history on the seller and it's terrific..........Rightnow the price is pretty sweet......Auction ends tonight..........

Hopefully I'll get tied up this evening and not able to lurk before the auction ends.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be sure to snipe bid instead of bidding early. Early bidders just disclose their interest and drive the price up.

Good luck!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just walk away... just walk away. I do it with cookies all the time.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll expect you here then instead. Okay?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck.

I was planning to snipe bid on a very interesting lugged frame that was sitting at $100. I forgot until 5 minutes after the auction closed. It went to the lucky first bidder. Maybe you'll get a similar break.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I rarely do snipe bids. I figure what I'm willing to pay for a bargan and bid it. If someone else wants it........oh well, there's next week. If they don't then I get it for 1 bid over anyone else who didn't want it much.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I ever submitted an ebay bid with more than 10 seconds left was when I did it with my cell phone. I was paranoid about the phone's slow browser and bid with 20 seconds left.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
    Be sure to snipe bid instead of bidding early. Early bidders just disclose their interest and drive the price up.
    In our business we routinely bid online on properties of six to seven figure value. IMHO sniping is both a skill and an art.

To put in your full price beforehand only drives up the price and lets the other guys know what they have to beat.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been 4 times when I wasn't going to be around at the end of a bid & put my bid in 3-4 days in advance, and was the winner. Twice no one else even bid on the item and I got it at the minimum bid.

Of course I've lost some using the same system. I've seen some bids go from $200 to $900 in the last 10-15 seconds.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought all the PC people were using sniping software now....

For a long time there wasn't an equivalent for the mac, but I suppose there is now.

Anyway, I just figured I didn't have a chance against robots any more....

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just lost a bid for a hoist to store your bikes in the rafters of your garage.

I bid $2.50, with a max of $2.75. Someone else got it for $3.00

Whew, I was afraid I was going to win and then I would have to install the darn thing.

Lucked out again!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Trek 7.6 FX, Trek 7.5 FX WSD, Trek 800 Antelope (circa 1990), Iron Horse MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Thine Own Self Be True

Your priorities are a bit askew. A few years in the day- to-day work force ("Do you want fries with that?") might actually help your young scholars better appreciate the value of higher education. In other words, bid high/bid often!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I thought all the PC people were using sniping software now....

For a long time there wasn't an equivalent for the mac, but I suppose there is now.

Anyway, I just figured I didn't have a chance against robots any more....
    Sniping is a fee-based third-party service. All you need is a browser, a user name, password and PayPal...A Mac will work fine.

I use BidNapper but here are many others. Their servers are continually pinging eBay and measuring the latency. There is no way a human can beat them for last (nano)second timing. Plus, you don't need to sit there with your finger on the mouse.

Bidding the normal way just telegraphs interest and invites attention and competition. Decide what you are willing to pay, activate the Bidnapper (or whatever) and wait for the email to tell you whether you won or not.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Sniping is a fee-based third-party service. All you need is a browser, a user name, password and PayPal...A Mac will work fine.

I use BidNapper but here are many others. Their servers are continually pinging eBay and measuring the latency. There is no way a human can beat them for last (nano)second timing. Plus, you don't need to sit there with your finger on the mouse.

Bidding the normal way just telegraphs interest and invites attention and competition. Decide what you are willing to pay, activate the Bidnapper (or whatever) and wait for the email to tell you whether you won or not.
    And what happens if you have two sniping 3rd party services sniping at each other - ot three - or four of them?

Do they tie?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why sniping will beat you. Bid what you are willing to pay. Snipers have to top your bid to win. If they do then OK, you didn't want to pay that much. If they don't then you win.

Don't be afraid to walk away from a bid when it gets too high.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I don't understand why sniping will beat you. Bid what you are willing to pay. Snipers have to top your bid to win. If they do then OK, you didn't want to pay that much. If they don't then you win.

The only problem with that approach is you increase the likelihood of the price going higher than your top price. Last second bidding is an art and can be fun. Sniping programs take the fun out of it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thought for people who are happy about winning an auction:

Congratulations...you just paid more for something than anyone else thought it was worth!

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sniping on eBay aside, those Nashbar and Performance sales are nearly as evil as eBay.

I have a Nashbar flip/flop fixed rear hub ($29.95!! How could I resist!?!), a frame pump bag, and other goodies I really didn't need on the way.

Looking at some nice MTB rims (no bids yet!) on eBay too...to lace up with the Deore hubs I got on eBay a couple weeks ago.

And I'm not even 100% sure I'll even like mountain biking.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The only problem with that approach is you increase the likelihood of the price going higher than your top price. Last second bidding is an art and can be fun. Sniping programs take the fun out of it.
    While the first statement is unprovable and/or false, the highlighted statement is the key point.

All the previous arguments about exposing what you are willing to pay just don't exist unless you have hacked Ebay.

What maximum bid has been placed is not exposed until someone outbids it... just the same as if I bid my maximum at the exact instant that someone else bids. How does this raise the final price? With all of the sniping, I agree that the price goes up at the last minute due to all of the snipes hitting... but either way, the highest bidder wins.

Y'all are the reason that Ebay's latest ads are pushing the thrill of the win. Me, I look to get items I want at a good price. The few times I remember sniping, I ended up paying more than I wanted because of the thrill of the hunt.

The only real down side of the proxy bid (from the perspective of getting a good deal) is that it could tie up the funds you are willing to spend on an item you are waiting for the auction to end, and you are unable to jump on another item (i.e. buy it now or a new listing with a shorter duration).

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge View Post

Congratulations...you just paid more for something than anyone else thought it was worth!

I had never thought of it quite that way, but you are absolutely right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post

Well put. As a beginner on scambay I got caught up in the "I am going to win this item at all costs" and it did cost me. Put in a bid at the price you are willing to pay. Delete the item from your watch list. If you win it, you pay what you think it is worth. That is the definition of a market.

There are lots of ebay buyers that overpay for stuff all the time. You do a search and bidding has exceeded the price of the exact item which is offered as a buy it now? Definition of stupid. Often paying more than retail when the shipping cost is included. If the item is uber rare maybe that is a different issue but more common items will come up again.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    While the first statement is unprovable and/or false, the highlighted statement is the key point.

All the previous arguments about exposing what you are willing to pay just don't exist unless you have hacked Ebay.

What maximum bid has been placed is not exposed until someone outbids it... just the same as if I bid my maximum at the exact instant that someone else bids. How does this raise the final price? With all of the sniping, I agree that the price goes up at the last minute due to all of the snipes hitting... but either way, the highest bidder wins.

Y'all are the reason that Ebay's latest ads are pushing the thrill of the win. Me, I look to get items I want at a good price. The few times I remember sniping, I ended up paying more than I wanted because of the thrill of the hunt.

The only real down side of the proxy bid (from the perspective of getting a good deal) is that it could tie up the funds you are willing to spend on an item you are waiting for the auction to end, and you are unable to jump on another item (i.e. buy it now or a new listing with a shorter duration).
    I appreciate the entusiasm of your response, but you missed my point entirely.

Last minute bidding without the cheater programs is good sport and doesn't have to lead to higher bidding on your part. When it works it leads to getting things as cheaply as possible. When it doesn't work, you don't get the item.
    Where it comes into play is when you find an item you want that has few or no bids on it. You watch it until the end of the auction. If it makes it to the last minute without the bids going up, you wait as long as you dare and then throw in your bid. If it works, nobody else bids higher and you get it cheap. If others do bid at the end, you only get it if the bid you made is higher than theirs. If you bid too early, other buyers notice the bid and may test your bid by bidding progressively higher until they eventually go higher or decide to bow out. This raises the price. As a seller, I like it when this happens. As a buyer it means the opportunity to get a real bargain is gone. This situation is increasingly rare, but when it works, it works.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By definition, you have defined the WINNER'S CURSE.

But it is a far cry from the definition of GAMBLER'S RUIN.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your point is? The others may have thought that it was worth much more than that. But they didn't have the bucks just then. Money talks, BS walks.

Demand curve met supply curve. It's high school economics.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    most have two wheels, but some have one or three
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too long ago Ebay changed their bidding policies for last minute bidding and now the auctions can run longer than the set closing time if there is activity, unless that changed again. Helps the seller get a few more dollars, helps Ebay get a few more dollars, and whacks the sniperbot users by driving the price up a bit higher until everyone's max is reached except the last one. You pay, then you pay some more.

I've bid early, won some, lost some. I've snipped in the closing minutes of an auction, won some, lost some. Thinking about it I don't think I've bid on or sold anything in well over a year or two on Ebay. Craigslist is what I've been using lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast