Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Social Security Riders (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/386879-social-security-riders.html)

JoeMan 02-10-08 11:00 AM

Social Security Riders

What's been the general experience of over 62 bike riders taking on long distance touring -1000 miles plus?

Retro Grouch 02-10-08 12:31 PM

I guess that I don't understand the question. What does being 62 have to do with it?

I'll admit to never having bicycled that far on one continuous trip but I don't see why that would be any different than taking 3 350 mile trips on consecutive weeks. I have an acquaintance who decided to fly to Alaska, bicycle until it stopped being fun and then hop a Grayhound home. He said got to Key West before it stopped being fun.

solveg 02-10-08 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 6139971)
I guess that I don't understand the question. What does being 62 have to do with it?

I'll admit to never having bicycled that far on one continuous trip but I don't see why that would be any different than taking 3 350 mile trips on consecutive weeks. I have an acquaintance who decided to fly to Alaska, bicycle until it stopped being fun and then hop a Grayhound home. He said got to Key West before it stopped being fun.

!!!!!!! COOL !!!!!!!

JoeMan 02-10-08 01:53 PM

62 has to do with it because that is the age many people retire. Many men that I work with who are near 62 are not capable of much physical exertion. The question is focused on how many 62 + riders are taking long touring trips. I see you know one. That seems like a beautiful ride to me. I hope this reply helps you understand.

Digital Gee 02-10-08 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMan (Post 6139587)
What's been the general experience of over 62 bike riders taking on long distance touring -1000 miles plus?

Over 62 bike riders in one peloton for 1,000 miles? That's a large group! I see a photo op. :D

(I'm teasing. I know what you really meant by "over 62.")

Retro Grouch 02-10-08 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMan (Post 6140318)
62 has to do with it because that is the age many people retire. Many men that I work with who are near 62 are not capable of much physical exertion.

A good cycling friend of mine just turned 70. He and his wife take several bike trips each year. They own a very high end titanium, take apart tandem. Individually none of the trips are 1,000 miles but they certainly exceed that distance every year. My wife and I, neither of whom is particularly athletic, will be doing about a 400 mile (fully supported) bicycling trip with them this summer. We'll be riding with another woman who is in her 70's. I have yet another acquaintance who has made a business of leading Elder hostel bicycle trips.

The reason for my comment was because, to the people who take these trips, it's really not a big deal. Just do it!

Deanster04 02-11-08 05:08 AM

I ride with a lot of riders who are my age or older. Quite a few do tours in Colorado such as the Bicycle Tour of Colorado or Ride the Rockies. These rides are usually 400 +/- 50 miles all in one week. I'm 64 and plan on riding til I drop. If you plan a 1K trip and are reasonably healthy it shouldn't be a problem. When I finally retire I plan on doing "credit card camping" meaning that I will go for the bed and shower every night and hope to even do a cross country trip. Do a lot of research on equipment, food, health, and training and you won't have any problems.

Beverly 02-11-08 07:22 AM

62 has to do with it because that is the age many people retire. Many men that I work with who are near 62 are not capable of much physical exertion. The question is focused on how many 62 + riders are taking long touring trips. I see you know one. That seems like a beautiful ride to me. I hope this reply helps you understand.

Age is not the determining factor in undertaking a long distance cycling trip. The most important factor is physical condition. I know people in their 30's and 40's who aren't capable of much physical exertion.

Many of the people I ride with are retired. We don't let age keep us from doing longer tours. We're currently planning on a bike trip around Lake Erie (700+ miles), XOBA (Across Ohio) and TOSRV. TOSRV is 210 miles in 2 days.

n4zou 02-11-08 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6144090)
Age is not the determining factor in undertaking a long distance cycling trip. The most important factor is physical condition. I know people in their 30's and 40's who aren't capable of much physical exertion.

Exactly, cycling is very low impact. I can barely walk due to arthritis but I can cycle 80+ miles a day, day after day, for weeks. it's just a matter of building up to it and maintaining that level. Starting in March and running until November I'll be a tour guide on a Rail Trail. I get up at 3:00 AM and cycle 38 miles to the trail head parking lot where I will meet a bus load of cycle tourists and take them 38 miles to the end of the rail trail where the bus will meet them. Last year I did this every weekend between March and November.

BILLB58 02-11-08 09:12 AM

I am 61, and commute 25 mi. R/T 98%+ of the time, and have for the last 3 years Completed a short tour from Jacksonville to Cape Coral this past October....403 mi. in 4 days. I have 2 more short (300 Mi) tours scheduled this spring/summer and will leave San Diego on the Southern Tier starting at the end of Sept. this year. I would do more but can't break away from my office enough. I am certainly not as fast as some, but I certainly am faster than many.

I pass most other riders......all except for two 8 year olds that I see on my way home many evenings......they come out to race me down the block......I downshift so my feet seem really fast pedaling and hold just behind them so they win.......think they are on to me though as they have mentioned that they have seen me coming across the river on Veteran's bridge going a whole lot faster....for now they still are happy to win!

(Thier father's put lights on their bikes so they could ride in the early evening when I come by....often their parents are at the end of the block waiting to see them "win"!!!)

Age just means we have more experience.

oilman_15106 02-11-08 11:11 AM

Sooo, you are going to take all the Social Security money before I get there?

countersTrike 02-11-08 11:59 AM

Social Security cut my assistance income off completely for having too many trikes- considered them vehicles (added up to more financial property than I was allowed); so I had to get rid of all of them and re-apply- which worked. I saw Social Security and thought "Uh Oh!" Be very careful.

countersTrike

lighthorse 02-11-08 12:26 PM

JoeMan,
I turned 62 last year and rode from my home in Melbourne, Fl. to Eugene, Or (just over 4000mi). It was my second solo unsupported cross country ride in three years. As long as you do some training prior to departure, all will be well. And the experience will be more than worth the training invested.

treebound 02-11-08 12:49 PM

I read the OP as maybe asking two questions:
1. physical ability and requirements due to age.
2. financial issues such as receiving monthly checks and maintaining a bank account while living on the road with no direct mailing address.

For #1 I'm not that old yet (but on some days I feel like I am), for #2 I'd suggest looking at some books on live-a-board boating and RV lifestylers who hit the road when they retire and no longer have a permanent address.