User Tag List

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merino Wool Jerseys (or comfortable merino shirts)

I don't know why these are not offered as much as synthetic jerseys, when you figure that some of the synthetic jerseys are way more expensive than merino wool jerseys. I've already checked "Sierra Trading Post", but I think Tom Bombadil has bought all their good wool jerseys already. Perhaps next year we'll see "Bombadil Trading Post" on the internet ...

Also, what are the ancient Chinese secrets on the best way to wash wool cycling jerseys. Use Woolite detergent only ... use cold water only ... don't sweat while wearing jerseys ... etc?

In the absence of merino wool shirts designed as cycling jerseys, are there non-cycling wool shirts that wear well while riding bikes?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did get one Merino jersey from the Sierra Trading Post blow-out sale. They had them for several weeks.

Here's a source for discounted merino wool jerseys:
    http://www.portlandcyclewear.com/cat...57/3599711.htm
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tom! It is time for me to stock up on some short sleeve jersey's and all the one's I've seen in bike shops around here - 135 to 165. With the prices at Portland Cycle Wear I'm going to have some jersey's done to match my hair - salt and pepper and labeled:

The Real Fred

Their prices are better than the synthetic, which I find breed smell. I'm going wool. The washing thing I'll just have to figure out.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One could purchase a Merino wool short sleeve with an embroidered "50+" or even a two line "BikeForums" and "50+" for $42 (jersey) and $13 (customizing) for $55 total, from the Portland Cyclewear site. That is, if you select one of the remaining 2007 jerseys.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd buy a BF 47+ if they sold women's jerseys....

I don't think I've ever seen old style women's jerseys. I loved the ones on Sierra Trading Post and really wanted some.

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A war story: A few months ago, I got a nice wool skullcap, that was warm and comfortable. It got mixed with the regular clothes in the regular clothes hamper, and now it's a wool paperweight.

My Bikes
    09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merino wool

Geeze, and here I am sittting on two pair of each that are only 35 years old (lol)
    Wool 'was' the great wicker of sweat and insulator of warmth (on those cold rides) but the cost and requirements (wash/dry)doomed em after synthetics came in.
    For the average rider the house brands from Performance or Nashbar can be had for as low as $19.99 and are a cold wash,hang dry setup that work quite well.
    The wool always required cold water in a gentle cycle or soaking in woollite then gentlly squeezing out and laying on a towel. Todays cyclist appreciates (if not needs)the simplistic care required by synthetics.
    I'd google and type in merino wool and see what comes up as far as outlets.
    btw the 35y.o. wool stuff...It 'fit' when I weighed 70lbs less than I do today.lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried MEC.ca and typed in merino in the search box and a bunch of jersey's came up for what seemed like reasonable prices. I have one of their shirts and have washed it a few times with my regular routine with no problems.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Nikwax wool wash available at REI. Rivendell sells Kookaburro which is similar in that a bit of lanolin is included to help maintain the natural wicking properties and, neat lay of the fabric. Although most everyone says machine washing is Ok, I still do mine by hand. Not a problem - let it soak 10 minutes then squeeze a few times then rinse. Run them on the spin cycle in the washing machine to extract the extra water then, lay them flat on the carpet, or bed, to dry.

Ibex has a sale on right now. The "Breezer" and "Chase" short sleeve jerseys are outstanding for summer wear. They don't stick so much to the skin and dry very fast. The long sleeve (Amparo) jersey is first rate too. The "Shak" series are not cycling specific but, are form fitting, very stylish, and work well for cycling. They are slightly heavier which, for Fall/Winter/Spring cycling is a good thing. No pockets in rear though. I can't emphasize enough how nice the Shak jersey looks though, especially the full zip version.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try your local thrift shop for merino wool lightweight sweaters I can usually find at least one and or a regular old Pendleton shirt, not merino wool but those things are really warm. This kind of stuff can be had for 3 or 4 bucks if they are having a half off sale and normally not over 12 bucks any time I've been looking.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Cottonwood Heights, Utah (Salt Lake City suburb)
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9, Co-motion Americano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boure has wool bike clothes.

http://www.boure.com/wool.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have posted this before, but several years ago (at least on the West Coast), merino wool polo shirts and long-sleeved polos were briefly popular. Last fall I was in a thrift shop looking for a bookcase for a spare room, and I happened to stroll through the men's clothing. They had six or eight of those woolies in XXL priced from $3 to $5. I bought a couple of long-sleeved ones to ride in, and I'm shocked at how little difference there is in weight, quality and feel between those and my Rivendell WoolyWarm jersey. I got a deal on that when I bought my Rambouillet, but I think I still paid about $60, and they're $85 in the catalog.
    They even LOOK like jerseys--only difference I can see is the lack of a rear pocket and a little collar it would be easy to turn in and sew down, if I cared.
    As for washing them, Grant petersen has a whole treatise on that at www.rivbike.com. He says agitation causes the wool to shrink, too (not just too much heat), and recommends putting it into a sinkful of cool water with Woolite, letting is soak a few minutes, then gently rinsing and squeezing (never wring it), then air drying. You don't have to wash them after every ride, especially if they're not next to your skin.
    After rinsing, I lay mine flat on a towel, roll them up and walk on 'em. Squeezes all the water out and they dry overnight.

Specialized Sirrus LTD
    My Bikes
    Secialized Sirrus Ltd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased two Nike merino wool long sleeved golf shirts on ebay for $30. each. I wash them in cold water, gentle cycle, with Woolite detergent inside a Woolite zippered laundry bag. Merino wool is much warmer in cold weather than any polyester fabric.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wash mine with all my other stuff, and have had no problems. Except I lose socks, but I don't think there's a connection here.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Kookaburra. I'm a knitter, and I was taught never to use Woolite. It's a lot harsher than it seems. Go to any yarn shop, especially online, and you'll find a nice selection of wool washes that you don't even need to rinse. http://www.knitpicks.com/Knitting_Su...00512&key=wash

Warm water + agitation + wool = shrunken felted thingie

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of those that was not into cycling when "Natural" fabrics were all you can get. I have always been Synthetic material on Cycling gear. Have to admit that iIhave several jerseys that are for "HOT" weather only as they have no warmth to them- But many years ago I got onto "Roubaix" material. Developed for the Paris- Roubaix race which is not always held in the best of weather conditions. Fairly warm but wicks away moisture and it is slightly waterproof. Mind you- at the cost of these jerseys now- I ought to start looking around for some Old stock Wool jeseys. Just to help the wallet along.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan