Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clipless pedals that stay level?

I've been riding clipless pedals since September, and like them. Mine are a Look style, by Nashbar. The only problem is that when I'm disengaged, say at a stoplight, and I start rolling again, I have a heckuva time trying to re-engage the cleat. The heavier rear half of the pedal points down, and It's hard to kick it into a level position to click in. Sometimes it flips over, bottom side up, and sometimes my cleat misses. Often, I'll just put the foot down on the pedal without clicking in, so I can get through the intersection quickly. Then I'll play footsie with the pedal to get it lined up with my cleat. Does anyone have recommendations on clipless pedals that stay level when you're not using them?
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact
    1981 Raleigh Super Record
    Trek 4900 MTB
    My blog: "Bike Noob" http://bikenoob.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Bebops stay in whatever position they are in when I unclip and they're two sided so there is no upside down.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practice.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Look Keos hang with the thicker heavier side down so that when my foot kicks across the pedal it catches the front of the pedal and the cleat engages. I usually don't even have to look to clip in.

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As BluesDawg says, "Practice".

Once I stop at a light I make sure the foot still clipped in is a few degrees past TDC (top dead center). That gives me maximum speed after push-off and gives me a little more time to clip in the other foot. I will admit, however, that clipping in with a Keo (or other Shimano-style) pedal is trickier than my old Crank Brother's Candy Cs that had no up or down.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heavier rear end of the pedal drops down and turns the pedal into a big loop. You slide your foot over the loop and the nose of your cleat catches in the loop as you push down on the pedal you hear the cleat click into the pedal.

Having the pedal sit horizontally would be like recessing the cable of an aircraft carrier; the tail hook wouldn't be able to grab it as the plane landed.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are lucky that the pedal always hangs tail down. Once you have mastered the move of pushing the nose of the pedal down while clipping in it will always be the same and you will be able to do it without looking.

For those who are unlucky enough to have the pedal stop in random places it is necessary to look or touch the pedal with the foot to determine where it is and then do whatever is appropriate to right it and clip in.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rainycamp,
    My earlier answer may have seemed flippant , but it is really what is needed. As several others have suggested, your pedals are doing exactly what they need to do to make it easy to click in. What remains is for you to understand how to take advantage of the ready position of the pedal and place the front of the cleat into the upward pointing front of the pedal at the upper part of the crank rotation (near the 12 o'clock position). After you've done it correctly a few thousand times, you won't even be conscious of it anymore.

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could switch to Eggbeaters.
    Hockey

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egg beaters here too.... just stomp and go. Speedplays awful easy to get into as well....
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Hockey
    Yeah. That's what I do when I'm not on my road bike. The right tool for the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned by another, Speedplays are pretty much stomp and go. SInce I started using them I don't even think about clipping in. Keep in mind that not everyone likes Speedplays. The model I use has unlimited float. While I (and my knees) like this, there are those that describe it as pedaling on an ice cube.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad6mj View Post
    My Bebops stay in whatever position they are in when I unclip and they're two sided so there is no upside down.
    Bebops rule.

My Bikes
    Giro 26, Giant FCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crankbrothers Quattro. These have solved it for me.
    Giant FCR1 2008

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano M520's were never a problem and I got the A520's on the Boreas. Not a problem one sided and I just engage the top of the pedal- Push forward and I'm in. And If I'm not- I get through the junction- take my foot off and try again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't kick it too hard when you're clipping in. Easy does it.

BFD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get in the saddle, stay seated, then clip in. Staying seated seems to make me more steady for clip in. Then go!

My Bikes
    Ones with two wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    As mentioned by another, Speedplays are pretty much stomp and go. SInce I started using them I don't even think about clipping in. Keep in mind that not everyone likes Speedplays. The model I use has unlimited float. While I (and my knees) like this, there are those that describe it as pedaling on an ice cube.
    Agree, agree and agree. Once you get over the float, you and your knees will love 'em.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the welcome advice. I solemnly promise to practice, practice, practice.
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact
    1981 Raleigh Super Record
    Trek 4900 MTB
    My blog: "Bike Noob" http://bikenoob.wordpress.com

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainycamp View Post
    Thanks for all the welcome advice. I solemnly promise to practice, practice, practice.
    Or you could learn to trackstand.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey
    +1
    Or try Quattros, the road version of Eggbeaters.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I have found that it only takes a while to get used to the "ice cube" effect.

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Yeah. That's what I do when I'm not on my road bike. The right tool for the job.
    Yes, But...

Quattros or Candies...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Yes, But...

Quattros or Candies...
    I've been trying to decide if the different little faux platforms they put on various Crank Bros. pedals make any difference at all. I can't feel any difference between riding eggbeaters and Smartys. I don't see how the Quattros would be any different. In the end you are still attached to that little pedal with that little cleat. Fine for offroad and short rides, but nothing like the large contact area of a Look cleat or similar where the cleat itself provides the supporting platform.

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I've been trying to decide if the different little faux platforms they put on various Crank Bros. pedals make any difference at all. I can't feel any difference between riding eggbeaters and Smartys. I don't see how the Quattros would be any different. In the end you are still attached to that little pedal with that little cleat. Fine for offroad and short rides, but nothing like the large contact area of a Look cleat or similar where the cleat itself provides the supporting platform.
    Well, my Quattros are fairly well scuffed, as are the bottoms of my shoes. Perhaps it's a function of what shoes you have.
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast