Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I KNEW This would Happen (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/387350-i-knew-would-happen.html)

cranky old dude 02-11-08 06:38 PM

I KNEW This would Happen

So my back has healed well enough for me to ride, but I'm not
riding. Haven't ridden since Jan 31st. No excuse seems to be too
feeble....too cold, too windy, too dark, too bright, gotta feed the
cat, too dangerouse out there.

It never fails, if I spend a couple weeks off of the bike it's extremely
difficult to get "Back in the Saddle" again. I know I'll do it, I just don't
know when....soon, I hope, since the year was off to such a great start
with 350 mild winter miles in January alone. I know that the following
statement is an affirmation of my being an old coot but...
I hate it when my routine gets interupted.

doctor j 02-11-08 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 6147794)
No excuse seems to be too
feeble....gotta feed the
cat

So THAT's why DG got a cat:D

jppe 02-11-08 07:26 PM

Don't force it-obviously it's just not meant to be right now. Start back with a short pleasure cruise. The true motivation will come back in no time.

Beverly 02-11-08 07:40 PM

I find it hard to get out there in cold weather. Hang in there....spring is just around the corner!!

Lauraspark 02-11-08 07:44 PM

Yep, I've been off the bike for awhile...too cold, too windy, too dark. I'm working on an attitude adjustment.

Beverly 02-11-08 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lauraspark (Post 6148244)
I'm working on an attitude adjustment.

Me, too. I'm going to Florida for a few days:)

rodrigaj 02-11-08 09:57 PM

Get on the trainer and try high cadence cycling. Its fun and gets you back on the bike.

Rick@OCRR 02-11-08 10:28 PM

I rode a century on Saturday. Seemed to work for me!

Rick / OCRR

The Smokester 02-11-08 10:34 PM

Dude. Glad you are back. Been wondering how you were doing.

stapfam 02-12-08 07:15 AM

You have got used to sitting back in the afternoons and getting on with the gardening or some other activity. Comes a bit hard to turn it around and go out and do some physical work. Far better to wait for that day when the sun is shining- The route you pick will have no uphills and a tailwind all the way. The there is the temperature of course- Don't know how warm it is where you are but it is far better to ride in 65 degs than the 40 we have over here.

Only problem is that "Hell" and "freezing over" comes to mind if you are going to wait for those perfect conditions. So stop posting about not riding- and then waiting for the replies to come in. Get togged up and start pedalling. Within 10 minutes you will wonder what the fuss was all about.

BSLeVan 02-12-08 07:25 AM

The fact that you're thinking about it is a good thing. I agree that for most of us some down time is a good thing every now and again. I'm also wondering how you would feel if you force yourself to get out and ride. If you're anything like me, getting started and the first portion of the ride won't be much fun. However, I find that my sense of accomplishment/self-worth/etc. always goes up at the end of the ride. The inner battles always seem to be the hardest ones.

Ken Brown 02-12-08 08:25 AM

January 31 was my last time on a bike too. Our streets are way to messy from all the snow he have got this month. I finally dug my car out but my street is so bad it is treacherous to drive on, let alone cycle.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e.../IMG_0129a.jpg

BSLeVan 02-12-08 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Brown (Post 6150926)
January 31 was my last time on a bike too. Our streets are way to messy from all the snow he have got this month. I finally dug my car out but my street is so bad it is treacherous to drive on, let alone cycle.

Ken, I love your fair city from June to September. Your photograph is a clear reminder that I never want to move further north than where I am already!

Floyd 02-12-08 09:13 AM

+1 on that picture reminding me that I don't like cold weather. We have cold here in Western Kansas too but not the white stuff. However the cold has kept me mostly off the bike. Supposed to get warm enought this week to get some exercize.
peace

Timtruro 02-12-08 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Brown (Post 6150926)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e.../IMG_0129a.jpg

Expecting more snow here in Boston tonight and into tomorrow. Been in the low teens with wicked wind chill two days in a row now. Why do we live here?

BigBlueToe 02-12-08 07:39 PM

I'm sorry. We had a three-day weekend this week (next week too!) and I went for two rides, Saturday and Monday. It was almost too hot (poor me!) It got up close to 80 degrees, with bright sunshine and clear skies. There was a bit of a wind yesterday, but by the time I got ready to ride home it had shifted and I had a glorious tailwind all the way back. Wonderful!

After that opening you might not want to hear my opinion. I've had many off-the-bike periods where it was hard to muster the get-up-and-go to get off my duff and ride. But every time I finally got around to it, I always loved it and thought, "I'm such an idiot that I didn't do this sooner. I know how much I love it." It's happened enough times that I remember. When I had some free time I tell myself, "Get out and go for a ride. You KNOW you'll love it." And I always do.

urban rider 02-12-08 07:43 PM

I agree, I have been off my bike and now I don't know how to prepare for a morning commute. I am so ashamed. I hope my fellow commuters don't see me.

bkaapcke 02-12-08 08:53 PM

Wife and I went up to a Calistoga Spa for an attitude adjustment. Came back ready to scrap a 35 year marriage. OH-OH! Gotta watch those 'tude adjustments. bk

Artkansas 02-12-08 09:57 PM

Well, the weather was freezing cold riding back home. But just barely... Last night there was a memorable 3 hour thunderstorm. The thunder was actually in my dreams as well. I don't remember including reality in my dreams before. Quite impressive.

Camilo 02-14-08 08:00 PM

summer = biking; winter = skiing.

BlazingPedals 02-14-08 09:10 PM

Camilo is seeing things more like the way I do - cold weather was invented to give me time off the bike to pursue other activities. Besides, don't you need a rebuild/upgrade season, too?

wink 02-15-08 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6148441)

I have been in Florida for eight years and right now is to windy and to cold 36.:(Will only get up to 76 today.

Wink

w2brdbkr 02-15-08 06:41 AM

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that seems to be making excuses not to ride.

yesterday we got snow but it should be all off the street by today. Next week I hope to pick up my new bike so I should be more then welling to start riding.

I "hate" wind but I hope with the new road bike it will be easier then my hybrid.

Spring is around the corner.

Tom Bombadil 02-15-08 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6148441)

That's a latitude adjustment.

jppe 02-15-08 03:12 PM

Ken-my Previa would desert me if I treated it like that!!!!! That is a lot of snow!