Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I KNEW This would Happen

So my back has healed well enough for me to ride, but I'm not
    riding. Haven't ridden since Jan 31st. No excuse seems to be too
    feeble....too cold, too windy, too dark, too bright, gotta feed the
    cat, too dangerouse out there.

It never fails, if I spend a couple weeks off of the bike it's extremely
    difficult to get "Back in the Saddle" again. I know I'll do it, I just don't
    know when....soon, I hope, since the year was off to such a great start
    with 350 mild winter miles in January alone. I know that the following
    statement is an affirmation of my being an old coot but...
    I hate it when my routine gets interupted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    No excuse seems to be too
    feeble....gotta feed the
    cat
    So THAT's why DG got a cat

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't force it-obviously it's just not meant to be right now. Start back with a short pleasure cruise. The true motivation will come back in no time.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it hard to get out there in cold weather. Hang in there....spring is just around the corner!!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Flatlander
    in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've been off the bike for awhile...too cold, too windy, too dark. I'm working on an attitude adjustment.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauraspark View Post
    I'm working on an attitude adjustment.
    Me, too. I'm going to Florida for a few days
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get on the trainer and try high cadence cycling. Its fun and gets you back on the bike.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode a century on Saturday. Seemed to work for me!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude. Glad you are back. Been wondering how you were doing.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have got used to sitting back in the afternoons and getting on with the gardening or some other activity. Comes a bit hard to turn it around and go out and do some physical work. Far better to wait for that day when the sun is shining- The route you pick will have no uphills and a tailwind all the way. The there is the temperature of course- Don't know how warm it is where you are but it is far better to ride in 65 degs than the 40 we have over here.

Only problem is that "Hell" and "freezing over" comes to mind if you are going to wait for those perfect conditions. So stop posting about not riding- and then waiting for the replies to come in. Get togged up and start pedalling. Within 10 minutes you will wonder what the fuss was all about.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that you're thinking about it is a good thing. I agree that for most of us some down time is a good thing every now and again. I'm also wondering how you would feel if you force yourself to get out and ride. If you're anything like me, getting started and the first portion of the ride won't be much fun. However, I find that my sense of accomplishment/self-worth/etc. always goes up at the end of the ride. The inner battles always seem to be the hardest ones.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    January 31 was my last time on a bike too. Our streets are way to messy from all the snow he have got this month. I finally dug my car out but my street is so bad it is treacherous to drive on, let alone cycle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    January 31 was my last time on a bike too. Our streets are way to messy from all the snow he have got this month. I finally dug my car out but my street is so bad it is treacherous to drive on, let alone cycle.
    Ken, I love your fair city from June to September. Your photograph is a clear reminder that I never want to move further north than where I am already!
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on that picture reminding me that I don't like cold weather. We have cold here in Western Kansas too but not the white stuff. However the cold has kept me mostly off the bike. Supposed to get warm enought this week to get some exercize.
    peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post

Expecting more snow here in Boston tonight and into tomorrow. Been in the low teens with wicked wind chill two days in a row now. Why do we live here?

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry. We had a three-day weekend this week (next week too!) and I went for two rides, Saturday and Monday. It was almost too hot (poor me!) It got up close to 80 degrees, with bright sunshine and clear skies. There was a bit of a wind yesterday, but by the time I got ready to ride home it had shifted and I had a glorious tailwind all the way back. Wonderful!

After that opening you might not want to hear my opinion. I've had many off-the-bike periods where it was hard to muster the get-up-and-go to get off my duff and ride. But every time I finally got around to it, I always loved it and thought, "I'm such an idiot that I didn't do this sooner. I know how much I love it." It's happened enough times that I remember. When I had some free time I tell myself, "Get out and go for a ride. You KNOW you'll love it." And I always do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I have been off my bike and now I don't know how to prepare for a morning commute. I am so ashamed. I hope my fellow commuters don't see me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I went up to a Calistoga Spa for an attitude adjustment. Came back ready to scrap a 35 year marriage. OH-OH! Gotta watch those 'tude adjustments. bk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the weather was freezing cold riding back home. But just barely... Last night there was a memorable 3 hour thunderstorm. The thunder was actually in my dreams as well. I don't remember including reality in my dreams before. Quite impressive.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    summer = biking; winter = skiing.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camilo is seeing things more like the way I do - cold weather was invented to give me time off the bike to pursue other activities. Besides, don't you need a rebuild/upgrade season, too?

My Bikes
    EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I have been in Florida for eight years and right now is to windy and to cold 36.Will only get up to 76 today.

Wink

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that seems to be making excuses not to ride.

yesterday we got snow but it should be all off the street by today. Next week I hope to pick up my new bike so I should be more then welling to start riding.

I "hate" wind but I hope with the new road bike it will be easier then my hybrid.

Spring is around the corner.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    That's a latitude adjustment.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken-my Previa would desert me if I treated it like that!!!!! That is a lot of snow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast