Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   One for Retro Grouch (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/387430-one-retro-grouch.html)

RockyMtnMerlin 02-11-08 10:06 PM

One for Retro Grouch

Here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...s_Retro_Grouch

fthomas 02-11-08 10:10 PM

Wow, that is good looking! Cost???? If I have to ask I can't afford it!

RockyMtnMerlin 02-11-08 10:53 PM

Yep, the articles coming from the show seem to indicate that all the bikes/frames on display are pretty pricey. But, they do look really nice and I'll bet they would last a lifetime if taken care of.

Louis 02-11-08 11:53 PM

I had to read the information before I realized it was carbon fiber. Very retro and very beautiful.

Retro Grouch 02-12-08 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 6149962)
I had to read the information before I realized it was carbon fiber. Very retro and very beautiful.

I had to read the text to be sure it was really a carbon frame too. I loved the lugwork. With all of those lightweight components I wonder what the whole bike weighs.

RockyMtnMerlin 02-12-08 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 6150495)
I had to read the text to be sure it was really a carbon frame too. I loved the lugwork. With all of those lightweight components I wonder what the whole bike weighs.

I did not see it on Rue's website but if you really want to know:
TEL: 480-452-7395
E-mail: questions@ruesports.com

Retro Grouch 02-12-08 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin (Post 6150908)
I did not see it on Rue's website but if you really want to know:
TEL: 480-452-7395
E-mail: questions@ruesports.com

Doesn't matter. I'm thinking that if they didn't post the weight where it's real easy to find it's probably not a super light weight. That said, I'm sure that it weighs a lot less than what I'm riding now. Total vehicle weight would be reduced even more since I usually carry my wallet with me when I ride.

RockyMtnMerlin 02-12-08 09:53 AM

Guess it might be a one of a kind for the show - at least initially. They do not list it under standard or custom frames. Earlier article on this year's handmade show have indicated a bunch of builders are showing these type of bicycles, despite having never shown them before. Last year there were a lot more fast road bikes shown (or at least that is what I perceived looking at the pics).

bobbycorno 02-12-08 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 6150495)
With all of those lightweight components I wonder what the whole bike weighs.

???? Are we looking at the same bike?? That's just old cheap Campy stuff - Triomphe or Victory. Nothing special, and definitely not light.

Scott "old enuf to remember when that stuff was new" Peterson
Bend, OR

Retro Grouch 02-12-08 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by bobbycorno (Post 6152651)
???? Are we looking at the same bike?? That's just old cheap Campy stuff - Triomphe or Victory. Nothing special, and definitely not light.

Scott "old enuf to remember when that stuff was new" Peterson
Bend, OR

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

It was bad enough to find that a bike named after me was built from carpet fiber but to think it was a lightweight to boot might be too much to bear.

GeraldChan 02-13-08 08:03 AM

Pretty bike!

But the front brake is mounted on the wrong side to be truly retro.

Sometime during the mid-70's the US Product Safety Commission insisted that all bike be fitted with the right lever controlling the rear brake. Prior to that the "normal" way for racing bikes was for the right lever to control the front brake.

My first high end bike was set-up in the Euro-style by an Italian ex-racer who owned a bike shop in my hometown of Stockton, CA. All 4 of my bikes are configured in the classic configuration.:D

I too am old enough to remember buying Campy NR parts new in the tan colored boxes with the World Champion stripes.:)