Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any Bell (ding-dingers ... not helmet) Users?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 08:42 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I asked the Road Cycle forum on recommendations for a nice bell ... that would look good and have a nice sound to let pedestrians know I'm approaching from behind.

I got a couple of good leads, and even some more liberal approaches ranging from air-horns to flame throwers. Since the intent is to politely acknowledge an oncoming bike to walkers ... and not to annihilate the walkers ... I thought I'd ask the 50+ gang the same question.

Know of any nice bells that I can check out?
Old 06-03-07, 09:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...p?p=IBDBS&tn=0
Old 06-03-07, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.jitensha.com/eng/bells_e.html

Also, try this one. It's a single dinger and not really loud, but it works well with pedestrians. I use it on my hybrid for park trail rides. It sounds so out of place that people look around like "Wot the heck is that" and smile when they see you.
Old 06-03-07, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite is an old fashioned ding-dong bell, it must be 3-4" diameter. Never a bell on the road bike, and no one pays any attention to the cutsie bells that are about 1" or so. There is also a large spinner that sounds a bit like an old fashioned telephone ringer, but i don't like those. You have to hunt for them, and I think they are all made in China now...

Mostly i use my voice, I call out pleasantly and politely and if in a group, I tell the pedestrian how many bikes to expect. Works far better than even the bells I use.
Old 06-03-07, 09:40 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought that model Incredibell and had to return it. It won't fit modern diameter bars. Here's the one I bought to replace it. Not as nice but fits.

https://www.mirrycle.com/cleverlever.htm

The Mirrycle website has a lot of bell choices.

I bought the bell for an easy group ride I was leading on a bike path a few months ago. I originally planned to take it off after the ride, but I ended keeping it on, as I've been riding some local bike paths frequently on easy training rides. I think it works a lot better than shouting "on your left". Before I got the bell, for a while I was shouting out "beep beep". That works too.
Old 06-03-07, 09:45 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my bells. Pedestrians seem to equate a bell with a bike and move to the right. Not loud enough to startle them, and they usually smile as I pass. Doesn't do anything for the pod people, of course. Need a truck air horn for them, I am afraid.
Old 06-03-07, 09:51 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Well, yeah, me and Mrs. Road Fan use bells! First reason is that here in Ann Arbor, MUP users are much smarter than I am. If I yell "On yer left" they will conclude I need them to move to their left and graciosly allow me to pass on the right. How did they know?

So we are trying bells. She tried a two tone 4 inch Bermuda bonger, and it is just too big and clunky, even for her Breezer.

Now she uses the cute little INcredibell, and people do notice if they do not have earbud in their ears.

I use an antique Raiche ding bell, similar ot the Jitensha and VeloOrange ding bells, on my quill stem. Very French. People can't hear it too well, but then I sayh "Good Morning! Two passing!" and that seems to help.

Needing a new one for a road bike, I'd look at the VeloOrange site.

Road Fan
Old 06-03-07, 10:00 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the combination bell/compass that Nashbar sells is very handy if you have a poor sense of direction like I do...

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ety%20Products
Old 06-03-07, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
. . . MUP users are much smarter than I am. If I yell "On yer left" they will conclude I need them to move to their left and graciosly allow me to pass on the right. How did they know?
Originally Posted by waldowales
I like my bells. Pedestrians seem to equate a bell with a bike and move to the right. Not loud enough to startle them, and they usually smile as I pass. Doesn't do anything for the pod people, of course. Need a truck air horn for them, I am afraid.
+1. I've found a bell to be the most effective (and polite) method of letting people know I'm approaching from behind on a MUP. It seems to be less confusing to them than any form of verbal notification. I use this one:

https://www.mirrycle.com/incredibellXL.htm

And for the "pod people", or when I'm riding on the road and need to make my presence known to a cager, I use this:

https://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/..._Code=megahorn

Last edited by waffenschmidt; 06-03-07 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-03-07, 11:03 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Incredibell. Got mine at REI.
Old 06-04-07, 05:54 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I have an Incredibell on my beater and a 3" "ding dong" bell on the tandem.

Somehow, while the bigger bell seems appropriate for a tandem, it doesn't get anything done that the smaller, less offensive sounding, Incredibell won't do.
Old 06-04-07, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I removed my old bell from my other bike and mounted it on the Dahon. It need to be replaced since it doesn't really sound like a bell, more of goose being choked to death. It is not as loud as it did originally ringing like a true bicycle bell. So I use bell when I approach from behind or turning a corner on a bike path to alert others a bike is coming. I sure need a new one and thanks for the variety shared by the members here. It's poilte to warn pedestrians when you are approaching, they smile and greet you mostly or I say, "Thank you" after I pass.

Last edited by wrafl; 06-04-07 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 11:33 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the one I use. You can just see it on the stem:
https://i12.tinypic.com/53ovuwi.jpg
Old 06-04-07, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wrafl
it doesn't really sound like a bell, more of goose being choked to death.
I'm thinking there must be a good story about how you came to know what a goose being choked to death sounds like.

I also might be interested in having a bell that makes that sound.
Old 06-04-07, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking there must be a good story about how you came to know what a goose being choked to death sounds like.

+1. That's a good one.
Old 06-04-07, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I knew somehow I would get questioned by the authorities about that post. All I know, it doesn't ring at all other than producing a sound which is a cross between a duck call and a goose getting choked or chased. How's that? The bike path I regularly ride, circle a small man made lake, about 2.5 miles around where geese habitate and geese police visit the lake once a week to chase them away. You read it right, there's a geese police contracted by the town around here. I know I'll get crucified by everyone so whether you believe it or not, it's true we have a geese police force.

https://www.geesepoliceinc.com/dogs.html

https://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pd...3550&id=901p53
Old 06-04-07, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by wrafl
I knew somehow I would get questioned by the authorities about that post. All I know, it doesn't ring at all other than producing a sound which is a cross between a duck call and a goose getting choked or chased. How's that? The bike path I regularly ride, circle a small man made lake, about 2.5 miles around where geese habitate and geese police visit the lake once a week to chase them away. You read it right, there's a geese police contracted by the town around here. I know I'll get crucified by everyone so whether you believe it or not, it's true we have a geese police force.

https://www.geesepoliceinc.com/dogs.html

https://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pd...3550&id=901p53
I love it! I'm so glad that I asked. So do you happen to own any Geese Police stock?
Old 06-04-07, 04:20 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about an Incredibell? https://www.mirrycle.com/
Old 06-04-07, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love it! I'm so glad that I asked. So do you happen to own any Geese Police stock?
I would have owned some stock if I was accepted to be the Geese Police Chief. I didnt qualify since I'm not good with Kayak.
Old 06-04-07, 04:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
If I yell "On yer left" they will conclude I need them to move to their left and graciosly allow me to pass on the right. How did they know?
Road Fan
You too? I finally gave up on that approach. Now I just say "Behind you" and let them pick what side they want to go, then I go on the other side. Sometimes they are paralyzed by the choice. Left? Right? Left? Right? So, they pick neither. Jeez, folks, it's not that hard to figure out. Just MOVE!
Old 06-04-07, 04:27 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Forgive the intrusion by the "whipper-snapper" On my flat bar bikes I use a Mirrycle Incredibell Brass Duet (in chrome).
However, this came up in another bell thread:
Japanese Bell on a Headset Spacer

This will certainly be part of my next build.
Old 06-04-07, 06:28 PM
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Incredibell
Old 06-04-07, 06:32 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this one on my Rivendell Glorius. It's very pleasant sounding, but sometimes I have to holler at folks anyway.
Old 06-04-07, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I both use the Incredibell. Once before I had the bell I caught up with a couple riding slowly, one on each side of the 12' wide bike trail. As I approached from behind I slowed down and said, "I'm coming between you". The lady who was on the left, let out a shriek and ran completely off of the right side of the road while holding up both feet. I stayed behind them and somehow she veered back onto the trail and got behind her husband. As I passed I apologized for scaring her and her husband said "maybe if you had a bell you wouldn't scare people!" After not saying what I was really thinking, I replied, you are right I will get one, and he was correct. Now when I ding my Incredibell people move over and usually smile and wave.
Old 06-04-07, 07:04 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
I bought that model Incredibell and had to return it. It won't fit modern diameter bars.
Originally Posted by jcm
That's the one I use. You can just see it on the stem:
https://i12.tinypic.com/53ovuwi.jpg
Who's On First? The duel-dinger that BluesDawg recommended was a cool choice, but began thinking it would be too small to fit.

The duel-dinger apparently will mount on a widget with diameter between 21.7 mm and 24 mm. But then, how can it be mounted on a stem, with the assumption that the stem's outer diameter is quite a bit wider than 24 mm??

Soooo, would the duel-dinger fit on the vertical quill that the stem sits on? I'm not sure what the diameter of road quills are. I Don't Know's On Third...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.