Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High pressure frame pump?

Over the past year I've had two Blackburn frame pumps fail. The first was about ten years old and just wore out. The second pump, less than a year old, the spring mechanism that holds it to the bike isn't working. I guess they don't make them like they use to.

I thought I had read someplace about a frame pump of some type that enables the rider to reinflate high pressure tires to their required inflation. Something that is very hard to do with a standard frame pump.

Anyone know what pump this is?

THX

TC
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remain highly satisfied with the Zefal HP-X. I also have a pretty decent Mt. Zefal on my mountain bike.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Topeak Road Morph.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    The Topeak Road Morph.
    I think a few other folks have praised that one, as well.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Zefal HP-X I have one that's ~ ten years old.

If your bike doesn't have the nub under the toptube headtube /---- you can fit it from rear QR lever to seattube seat cluster or BB to seat cluster.

Also, I've moved up to slightly larger cross-section tires as I'm not at my old racing weight.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zefal HP-X works for me. I've never tried to go above 110 psi, but it handled that with no problem. Could probably go higher.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the Zefal HP OK, but mine didn't fit well on my touring bike as outfitted, so I used the Topeak Mountain Morph on the touring bike (it was shorter than the Road Morph and fit better on the bike in question). After having to keep the tires inflated on three bikes all summer on the TransAmerica, I am a big believer in the Topeak Road or Mountain Morph pumps.

At home the floor pump is the one that gets used and the frame pump only for flats on the road. On tour I had to use the frame pump all of the time. If you are just going to fix a flat once in a while it is less of a big deal, but if you need to use it everyday it is.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    ... At home the floor pump is the one that gets used and the frame pump only for flats on the road. ...
    That is my system, as well.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Topeak Road Morph works like a floor pump. That's why its so good.

should know better
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Quantum, all DA'd out; 80's Japanese Summit Comp Pro TR--the dark and wet bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Topeak is head and shoulders above any other frame pump I've used. The built in pressure gauge is a great feature in a frame pump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Topeak Road Morph G. The G means it has a built in pressure gauge. It works as a floor pump but doesn't have to if the ground is soft or uneven.

I also have a "Wrench Force" frame pump on another bike which goes to high pressure very well.
    http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...C2%2C280%2C311

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This frame pump will mainly do duty on a 25" trek 520. Its has a very long top tube. That's one of the reasons i bought the bike. Ocaasionally I may use the pump on my Lemond Zurich. The 59 cm Lemond's top tube is shorter than that on the 520. Its equipped with its own frame pump, another Blackburn. I tried to make due with switching one pump from bike to bike and of course got caught with a flat and no pump far from home. each bike having its own pump eminates the "dah" factor.

I'll check out the pumps mentioned.

My one size fits all including mountain bike tires/valves floor pump gets the biggest workout.

THX

T
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    Trek 1000c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My zefal is 15 years old and still works great. Doesn't fit the current bike though which makes me miss my nishiki all the more.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HP-X comes in different sizes to fit different sized frames.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Zefal HP-X works well for me, too. I've got two of them plus four HP's.

In my workshop I use my trusty 25 year old Silca floor pump.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom cotter View Post
    I thought I had read someplace about a frame pump of some type that enables the rider to reinflate high pressure tires to their required inflation. Something that is very hard to do with a standard frame pump.
    The laws of physics can't be violated no matter who makes the pump.

Think of the pump's barrel diameter. If it has a section area of 1/2 square inch and you want to inflate your tire to 100 pounds per square inch, you are going to have to push the plunger with 50 pounds of force. That's a lot to do with 1 hand while you're trying to stabilize the chuck against the valve stem with your other hand.

That's why so many people like the road morph. It works like a floor pump so you can use your upper body weight to help push and it has a hose so you dodn't need to stabilize the valve stem.

I've got a couple of Zefal HPX's and I like them fine but I have to brace the wheel and my left hand against a tree or sign pole or something to get the last few psi into the tire. My artist's side won't let me buy a road morph because they are clunky-looking and ugly. 7 or 8 years ago I started carrying CO2 on my tandem and on my Klein. It's so fast and convenient to use that, if you don't have too many flats, I think that's the way to go.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a road morph and my only concern with it is the low volume of air at each stroke. Takes a long time to put air in but at least I can get pressure in. On the MTB's I use Blackburn Mammoth's and they are good but getting to 90 psi is about the pumps limit- My limit is lower.

There is a reason Why Frame pumps used to be popular. They work. With the modern design of frames though- It is not always possible to fit to a modern bike. Can't get a frame pump to stay put on either of my bikes but Take your bike to a Good road shop and get them to find the one size that fits your bike. Providing you don't leave it at home- You will have a pump for life- Or at least as long as you have that frame.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

should know better
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Quantum, all DA'd out; 80's Japanese Summit Comp Pro TR--the dark and wet bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put 120psi in with my Road Morph, but then I'm 6'2", 235#. You do have to use the little flip out foot and use your upper body to go above 90 psi, but it can be done. Another thing I'd note is--don't bother with knockoff versions of the Road Morph. Had a Nashbar one that worked great--about 10 times, then stranded me.
    As far as frame pumps go, just replaced the Blackburn on my steel bike with a Road Morph because the Blackburn bit the dust (luckily after getting just barely enough pressure in the tire to get home). For me the Morph is easier to use and definitely easier on valves than a frame pump--YMMV.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never taken advantage of it- but Blackburn have a lifetime warranty on their pumps. Reason I never took advantage of it----is that I always seem to lose mine on the trails. The pump works fine but after a year or so of bouncing around- The frame bracket breaks losing the pump at the same time.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

should know better
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Never taken advantage of it- but Blackburn have a lifetime warranty on their pumps. Reason I never took advantage of it----is that I always seem to lose mine on the trails. The pump works fine but after a year or so of bouncing around- The frame bracket breaks losing the pump at the same time.
    Had zero luck with Blackburn customer service on an issue with my Delphi computer (speaking of which, anybody got a recommendation for a computer that does cadence, doesn't cost and arm and a leg, and works in wet weather?), but maybe I'll give it another shot with the pump. As far as your magic disappearing pump, three words: Velcro pump straps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeh. I forgot to mention that I had a Zefal for at least 20 years and no problems. Good to hi pressures (100 psi for me). Gave it away along with the bike 6 months ago.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I remain highly satisfied with the Zefal HP-X. I also have a pretty decent Mt. Zefal on my mountain bike.
    +1 -- Had an HP-X for years before I sold it with one of my road bikes.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I remain highly satisfied with the Zefal HP-X.
    +1 -- I had an HP-X for 15+ years before I sold it with one of my road bikes.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topeak Road or Mt.Morph. The Mt.Morph is a bit lighter/shorter.
    With either model, 100 pump strokes gets in 100 lbs of pressure in a 700x25 tire.
    Can easily got up to 120 psi. *Almost a pleasure* to get a flat!
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good luck with a Topeak Mountain Morph. I've used it both on my mountain bike with Schrader valves and on my road bike with Presta valves. It will inflate the road bike tires to 120 psi.

Due to my ham handedness I broke the original frame mount. I contacted Topeak to buy a new mount. They sent me a new mount without charge and threw in a new hose as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast