Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-08, 11:27 PM   #1
dendawg

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sometimes it just blows

and blows and blows. Forecast was for upper 40's to low 50's with winds gusting 10-20mph. Decided to get out and ride the greenway path along the Hudson. With winds coming out of the SW I decided to head into them for the start of the ride, then have them at my back for the ride north, and into them again for the ride home. Well they were more swirling then just one direction, and seemed a lot stronger than the weather channel forecast. A couple of gusts nearly blew me over. By the end of my 24 miles I was near bonked. Only good thing was my new shoe covers kept the toes warm, and the new gloves did the same for my fingers. Next time I decide to ride along the river I'll heed the small craft warnings. Temps are dropping again for the weekend so it looks like I'll put the bike back on the trainer again.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 02:28 AM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Except for the trainer- sounds like me- You certain you haven't changed location to the UK?

Weather all this week has been good. No rain- winds below 10mph and warm in the sun. Thursday- it got colder. Friday colder still. This morning and tomorrow 30degrees and a 20mph wind. Perhaps the trainer is a good idea.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 06:34 AM   #3
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sucks when it blows.

Local college racer got blown off his bike by a gust of wind and broke a bone in his shoulder last week.
Old 02-16-08, 08:24 AM   #4
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Actually the wind does not bother me as much as the cold. I don't like cold. However I do get out and ride unless it is below 40... Keep on riding and enjoying
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 09:34 AM   #5
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Cold you can dress for. Wind is just not fun at all.
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 11:01 AM   #6
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well they were more swirling then just one direction, and seemed a lot stronger than the weather channel forecast. A couple of gusts nearly blew me over. By the end of my 24 miles I was near bonked. Only good thing was my new shoe covers kept the toes warm, and the new gloves did the same for my fingers. Next time I decide to ride along the river I'll heed the small craft warnings. Temps are dropping again for the weekend so it looks like I'll put the bike back on the trainer again.[/QUOTE]

Right on, I live in the northeast and had the same experience on a 27 mi. ride a couple of weeks ago. The wind was brutal along the ocean. Started out at 19 degrees this mornin and is about 30 now, with wind. Don't have a trainer but my wife thinks I should get one. right now using the stationary bike at the gym, but it is just not the same.
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 11:25 AM   #7
dendawg

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
Don't have a trainer but my wife thinks I should get one. right now using the stationary bike at the gym, but it is just not the same.
At least on the trainer you can shift gears, and in the living room I can watch or listen to whatever I like. And I can always stop for the bathroom or more water. Just no scenery or cooling breeze. I splurged last year on a computrainer so it can simulate actual rides I have done
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 12:42 PM   #8
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
At least on the trainer you can shift gears, and in the living room I can watch or listen to whatever I like. And I can always stop for the bathroom or more water. Just no scenery or cooling breeze. I splurged last year on a computrainer so it can simulate actual rides I have done
I used to use a fan to blow air on me when I ran on the treadmill. Still do the same when I (rarely) use the trainer.
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote