Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin 305's in the Twilight Zone

Just too, too wierd.

We did our usual Saturday ride this morning and when I put my Garmin 305 on the bike it was locked up. I was able to quickly get it going again by pressing the right combination of buttons but the battery was just too drained to use it.

I figured the fellow I was riding with would bring his Garmin so while I would not have my HR info I'd at least have all the other information. He rolled up to my house a few minutes later and his Garmin had done the exact same thing this morning.

Okay.......what are the chances of that????? We both thought we had kept it plugged in and had a good charge but I guess not.

I grabbed the GPS Garmin that I use for my car and thought I'd take it as it at least gives overall time, avg speed, total miles, etc. Well, the battery on it didn't even last 1/2 the ride.

All I know is we did about 85 miles, did lots of hills and my legs feel it more than I have any other time this year!!!!

We were guessing the Garmin Geeks spiked up the software for today's date as maybe they got a little bored.......

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope its not a common fault- as I have just got the garmin out for its first ride tomorrow.Set uop the cadence sensor on the TCR today and Decided that garmin do not understand how bike frames work. That was not easy to get the spacing right for the crank arm magnet and to get the wheel sensor set up- I now have the Arm pointing upwards. Still it appears to be working- but tomorrows ride is Offroad so just set the mount up on the MTB.

I might be able to prove that the highway dept. have got it wrong and that sign that says that the awkward hill in my area that says it is a 12%- Is actually a 30 % er that is signed wrong. I know it is not but I did get a shock the other night when I found out that some of the "Gentle" slopes in my area are steeper than I thought they were- And that Pimple on the MUP is almost a mountain.

With the luck I have with electronics- I just hope that you are having a Glitch in the Technical race.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GPS60csx worked fine during my short ride home from the LBS, so it wasn't a universal Garmin problem. I put in fresh batteries yesterday, so I would have been ticked if they had gone bad today. It did seem to record a very low average speed, and of course that couldn't have been my real speed, could it?

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope your problem doesn't come to this, but my Garmin is on its way to Kansas for warranty repair for the 3rd time in 6 months.

On my first ride with my Edge 305, I got caught in a real downpour (what my Grandad used to call a toad strangler) and it took on water and died. I talked to Garmin and at their instruction, returned only the head unit. Garmin sent me a whole new unit plus cadence sensor, so now I have cadence on both bikes.

Recently I dropped it and shook the battery loose (you could hear and feel it rattling around inside). It still worked fine, but after talking to the fine folk at Garmin, I returned it for repair.

When it came back, the elevation function was wacky, often off by over 1000 ft and once showed me climbing a 124% grade, so off it went again for repair, for the 2nd time in as many weeks.

Every time before I've had the unit back in about a week and I remain quite happy with my Edge 305 and with Garmin service, but I am coming to not really trust the reliability of the unit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the temperature. Batteries drain faster in the cold. Heading out soon with my 305. I have made it my practice to download after each ride and leave it attached the computer for the hour or so it takes to recharge through the usb port.

Stapfam, each bike is different. My cadence sensor sits nicely with the speed sensor arm down on my Seven, but when I installed one on my wifes Specialized Roubaix I had to move the arm to an up position. Took me a while to figure it out. I'm not crazy about the tie wrap mounts as they often slip when I transport the bikes on the car, and I need to check the adjustment before I start the ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learnt a valuable lesson this morning--If you want to record the stats of a ride-Besides switching it on- Actually start the damn thging. 25 miles offroad and I spent time yesterday setting the garmin onto the MTB. Didn't start the thing so no stats.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW - Mine (both of them! - the original and the warranty replacement) have had problems. The original would just stop functioning in mid ride. I called Garmin and they suggested some additional solutions and it worked okay for another couple of weeks. Then it died again and they said send it back. Got the new unit and it has worked well. But, I sure don't see how anyone could get advertised 10 hours of battery life out of it. Seems like mine is on the short end of the charge indicator after about 4 hours and once it shut off (the new one) after about 5 hours of use. Never had THAT problem with the old one. This charging problem was while the bike was on the trainer, so temp should not be a factor.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Learnt a valuable lesson this morning--If you want to record the stats of a ride-Besides switching it on- Actually start the damn thging. 25 miles offroad and I spent time yesterday setting the garmin onto the MTB. Didn't start the thing so no stats.
    Do you have cadence on the MTB Stapfam? I think that is always a reminder for me if it's not recording to hit the start button. Or of course looking a the distance or ride time as well to see what the in ride stats are. You've now learned. I suspect it won't happen again though!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    What was the temperature. Batteries drain faster in the cold. Heading out soon with my 305. I have made it my practice to download after each ride and leave it attached the computer for the hour or so it takes to recharge through the usb port.
    I had it inside beside the computer and thought I had it charging. I suspect the 305 was on and just drained down........I have my rechargeable cord that is connected to 120volts beside the PC and usually just switch it to the power cord after downloading the data via the USB. From experience now I can say my "process" works 49 out of 50 times......

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    FWIW - Mine (both of them! - the original and the warranty replacement) have had problems. The original would just stop functioning in mid ride. I called Garmin and they suggested some additional solutions and it worked okay for another couple of weeks. Then it died again and they said send it back. Got the new unit and it has worked well. But, I sure don't see how anyone could get advertised 10 hours of battery life out of it. Seems like mine is on the short end of the charge indicator after about 4 hours and once it shut off (the new one) after about 5 hours of use. Never had THAT problem with the old one. This charging problem was while the bike was on the trainer, so temp should not be a factor.
    I've done rides longer than 7 hours and mine still has a good strong 1-2 bars left. Must be something in the high altiudes you're in??????

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have a feel for how long the batteries in the 305's will last under normal use? Just curious when it I might expect to see much shorter run times and have to return the 305 for battery replacement. I'm guessing 3-4 years????

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I've done rides longer than 7 hours and mine still has a good strong 1-2 bars left. Must be something in the high altiudes you're in??????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Anyone have a feel for how long the batteries in the 305's will last under normal use? Just curious when it I might expect to see much shorter run times and have to return the 305 for battery replacement. I'm guessing 3-4 years????
    I've had mine 2.5 years, and it still seems strong. My average ride is 1-3 hours, but I've gone over 8 without a problem so far, except when I've forgotten to charge it. I did buy one of those external battery packs for it but have yet to use it. My biggest battery problem has been the one in the cadence sensor. When storing the bike make sure that the wheel and pedal magnets aren't in proximity to the sensor, because that little battery will go dead in less than 2 weeks.