Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Our first double century

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Our first double century

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 08:11 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Our first double century

Our first Double Century of 2008!

My wife (Jackie) and I just completed (Feb. 16th) our first double of the year. A lot of our club members from OCRR (Orange County Rebel Riders) were along (see "Rebels" below). This is the report I wrote for the club website, slightly modified for bikeforums.net / Fifty +. Also there were a lot of younger bikeforums.net riders (and workers) on this ride. For photos, see the Butterfield thread in the SoCal forum.

Rebels on the Butterfield Double Century
Butterfield Double presented by Planet Ultra, Feb. 16th, 2008

The Season is Upon Us
The start of the 2080 Double Century Season was upon us, officially, at 5:30 AM on Saturday Morning Feb. 16th. At that cold, foreboding and otherwise “0-Dark-Thirty” hour, Rebels Jackie Burneson, Roseanne Giorgio, Tom Parkes and Your Faithful Scribe, departed the La Quinta Hotel on Sand Canyon near the 5 Freeway, in the People’s Republic of Irvine. There was a later start at 6:45 AM (for faster riders!), at which time Rebels Chuck Chen, David Slaton, Andrew May, occasional Rebel Dr. Jerry Brown and David Wu departed. This would be Andrew’s first-ever double century! It should be noted that David Wu was riding a bike with “all the gears” as opposed to the fixie (one gear ratio only) which he rode on the Grand Tour Highland Double in 2007.

Before the Start
Pre-Double, in fact the evening before, Jackie and I met Brandy DeLuca and George Vargas (from bikeforums.net) at dinner (Knolwood), plus saw The Very Famous Ron Smith Jr. (also bikeforums.net) at registration. At the Hotel check-in we met Paul from Ventura, who would be trying his first double ever, and Xenia from Grover Beach who was riding her first Butterfield ever. Double riders are a friendly lot, and we tend to meet lots of new folks, even when standing in line to register at the hotel!

Early Rebel Starters
When Jackie, Roseanne, Tom and I began the double, at 5:30 AM, the temperature was in the low 40's, but once we started climbing (esp. San Joaquin Hills) we warmed up a bit. By that climb, however, I had dropped Jackie and her friend (and Action Figure) Roseanne, plus Tom and totally coincidentally hooked up in a four-rider pack with Xenia and Paul (see Hotel, night before, above) and Wes, celebrating his 64th birthday on the Butterfield double (this would be his 10th double).

Rebel Friendly Route
The route followed a lot of Rebel-normal roads, so it was University to Jamboree to San Joaquin Hills, then down Newport Coast (very chilly descent, yes) left on PCH and left again to climb Laguna Canyon. Slight headwind there (which is unusual), then right on El Toro, right again on Aliso Creek (another warming climb), and several turns later, Crown Valley to a left (south) on PCH.

Missed Green Lantern!
Xenia, Paul, Wes and I stayed together until Dana Point, where we missed a turn onto Green Lantern and accidentally by-passed the first (Mini) checkpoint (mile 39.0). After a short consult with the route-sheet, we backtracked our way back to it, adding about 3 "bonus" miles. Once there, Jon (WhiteCarabonDude from bikeforums.net) greeted us, along with his attractive female companion. Maybe his wife, maybe girlfriend, maybe just another checkpoint worker . . . I never thought to ask! Xenia, Paul and Wes were impressed that I knew the roads so well, but hey, I ride around this area a lot, so I'd better know them. Still, we missed Green Lantern in Dana Point, so my knowledge does need some detail work! Also, at this Mini-Checkpoint (water and energy bars only) I introduced them to Tom Parkes, and they were dutifully impressed that this would be Tom’s 105th official CA Triple Crown Double Century!

Checkpoint #1 at mile 57.4
All was good as the day warmed up, through Dana Point, San Juan Cap, and San Clemente and onto the bike trail. The first real checkpoint was at San Onofre (which would be the light pick-up later that day) ably staffed by ex-Rebels Elise and Paul Haussler, and True-Rebel John Long . . . and someone else I didn't know. Here it was warm enough that I took off my glove liners, balaclava and jacket, but it was still cool enough (mid 50's?) that I kept the knee warmers and arm warmers on. Saw David Slaton, Tom Parkes and Dr. Jerry at this checkpoint as well, Dr. Jerry telling me he’d already had one flat tire! Also saw MaddMike and Brandy from bikeforums.net, though I didn’t recognize Brandy in her cycling gear! Everyone was still fairly jolly at this point, with the day warming nicely and not too many miles (57.4) on their legs.

What Happened to Wes?
Leaving Checkpoint #1 we couldn't locate Wes, so Xenia, Paul and I took off for Checkpoint #4, which was also the lunch stop. We followed the “usual route” taking the optional path through Camp Pendleton, then through Oceanside to the 7.4 miles of bike path. Paul and I were trading off pulls here, into a slight headwind, keeping the pace right around 15-16 mph, which seemed to be the “comfort zone” for Xenia. Exiting the bike path, we were quickly routed onto Old River Road, a charming route, really, with the countryside quite green from the recent rains.
From there the route took us to Hwy 76 (thankfully for a very short ½ mile!), before dropping us onto another lovely road, i.e. Camino Del Rey, for an easy 5.3 miles into the lunch stop (and Checkpoint #2) at mile 87.7.

Conversations at Lunch
Here Phil (bikeforums.net) was manning the "funnel food" i.e. Sustained Energy, Hammer Gel, Endurolites, etc. plus I also saw Rebels Chuck Chen, Andrew May, plus David Wu, Frank (Garfield) Neal (OCW), and had great conversations with few others . . . but have no idea who they were, really. One guy had a lovely Rivendell bike, so we discussed the Rivendell bike philosophy as demonstrated by Grant Petersen, etc. Paul and I discussed the differences between SRAM and FSA crank-set spindles, and other “bike guy” subjects which (fortunately for you!) I will not detail at this time. Lunch itself was the (usual for Planet Ultra) Subway Sandwich, but these seemed tastier than usual for some reason (Jackie says “better buns!”).

This Year’s Fashion
That done, it was (pretty immediately!) climb, climb, climb up around, but not actually into Fallbrook. I did see a “Welcome to Fallbrook” sign, but we stayed away from downtown Fallbrook, certainly. Xenia was a bit slower on the difficult climbs, so Paul and I stayed behind and let her set the pace. It was either that or ride ahead and wait, and we thought following was the better choice. A few Thousand Feet up and down, then a long descent on Mission, back to North River Road, the Oceanside bike path, and Mini-checkpoint #2, with Jon (again) and his lovely female companion. This was at mile 121.1 for those of you keeping track. I saw Chuck (CA Triple Crown Guy) Bramwell here too, modeling the (new!) CA Triple Crown red arm warmers. I told him he looked quite fashionable. He laughed and said, “You have to keep on top of these things!” as he (no doubt) noted I was wearing “last year’s fashion” yellow CA Triple Crown arm warmers.

Back Via the 5 Freeway
I took off from this Mini-checkpoint leaving my Camelback laying on the water coolers, but fortunately discovered my loss when I was but a few hundred feet down the road. Xenia and Paul were kind, and waited while I retrieved the Camelback. Then it was back to Oceanside and eventually on the 5 Freeway shoulder (remember we had taken the Camp Pendleton option traveling south), to Checkpoint #3 (same as #1) at mile 135.8. Here we fitted our lights; I had Elise fill my Camelback with Sustained Energy and Expresso Hammer Gel, and before long we were off . . . headed for the final checkpoint in Trabuco Canyon. I also re-fitted my balaclava, glove liners and jacket, since the air temp had started to fall off a bit by this point, most likely low 60’s deg.F.

Attack!
All was good through San Juan Cap, up through San Juan Creek, La Novia, Ortega Highway (slight stop for Xenia and Paul to lube their Speedplay cleats which were not releasing easily), then my “Attack” on Antonio Parkway; essentially a ten mile climb with two little "resting area" descents. Not an attack in the classical racing sense, but I kind of let it loose, after pacing myself to Paul and Xenia’s speed all day. Pretty much hammered to the top, passed a bunch of riders, . . . then waited at the top for just over ten minutes for Paul and Xenia to catch up. Xenia particularly expressed that she was glad to have me along, not just because I knew where all the turns were, but for my pre-profiling the climbs for her. Darkness had fallen somewhere in the early miles of Antonio, so lights were on, flashers were on, and hopefully no absent minded driver would miss seeing us!

Cathe and Wick at Checkpoint #4
From Antonio, there was a right onto Santa Margarita, then a quick left onto Plano Trabuco. That done, there was the twisting downhill switchback descent in Trabuco Canyon and the joy of finally rolling into the final checkpoint, Checkpoint #4, at mile 167.5. By this time it was getting cold again (about 7:30 PM), 57 deg.F at the school near the top of Antonio and probably high 40's in Trabuco. Rebels Cathe and Wick Waltmire (Cathe checking riders in, Wick cooking), plus Lee (scvroadie on bikeforums.net) were holding down Checkpoint #4, with warm Cups-O-Soup very much welcome (salty but good!). Plus, I spoke with Dante for a few minutes (he loves his fleece leg warmers!), David Slaton, Cathe and Wick and (countless) others, and I was (secretly) really wanting to hug the propane heater!

Can You Say “Brutal”?
We stayed there probably too long (half an hour?) and when we, i.e. Xenia and I went to leave we couldn't find Paul! Looked around several minutes, but we didn't even see his bike, so we figured he'd taken off without us. Not like him . . . but whatever. He sure didn't seem to be there! The next challenge was the Trabuco Canyon / Live Oak climb, one of those nasty ones that gets really steep near the summit. I told Xenia we'd take it at her pace, so I stayed behind her, yet after the appropriate struggle (we agreed the word “brutal” described the climb) . . . we did in fact ride over the summit. Xenia said, "At least the climb warmed us up!" which indeed it had, just in time for the frigid plunge down to Santiago Canyon. We then faced another (warming!) climb up a mile and a half from Cooks Corner! 12 miles later (mostly descending with three short climbs) it was left on Jamboree, again mostly downhill (one climb) to Portola. Another rider joined us along here, and accompanied us to the finish. Nice guy, but no idea who he was!

The End of the Road
Portola has slight up and down inclines, not really hills or climbs certainly, then 3 miles later a right turn on Sand Canyon and we were on the last bit home (well, to the hotel). Much rejoicing, all in the spirit of "My that was fun; glad it's over!" The total ride distance was supposed to be 193.9 but with our backtrack at the first Mini-checkpoint, plus taking Camp Pendleton on the southbound leg, we ended up with 199.8 miles. Deb Bowling (one of the owners of Planet Ultra) signed us in. Xenia's husband was there to meet her (fresh from a Dart Tournament on the Queen Mary), plus I saw Dante, spoke with David Wu (about his friend who had attempted the double on a fixie, but had experienced knee problems). I saw Rebel and SAG worker Kriss Okubo in the lobby shortly thereafter, and she said Jackie and Roseanne were at Jamboree and Portola, so about half an hour away.

Paul Re-appears!
Shortly, and along in here somewhere, Paul finally pulled in, looking a bit ragged (he'd had stomach problems) but he was happy to finish! Kriss gave him a big hug for finishing his first double! This really surprised him, but when I told him that Kriss was my wife’s best friend, he was okay with it! Then it was off to our hotel room for the hottest shower ever (I really needed restore some body temp!). Looking like the proverbial cooked lobster (probably) I dressed and went down to the hotel lobby to await the arrival of my lovely wife and her Action Figure companion (that would be Roseanne). Talked with Deb and Brian Bowling for awhile (congrats to Deb on her quote published in Bicycling! magazine) plus talked with Lee, Paul and Elise and anyone else who popped through the door.

Jackie and Roseanne
Eventually, and at long last, Jackie and Roseanne arrived, mostly frozen but still able to function, so that was good! Back in the room, Jackie told me that she wanted to eat at Denny's but by the time she was out of the shower I was mostly asleep. So she went to Denny's alone (what a mean and selfish husband I am!) while I slept. She said the guy at Denny’s told her she looked tired! Fortunately there were some other late-finishing double riders there too, and they’d already told him the full story of the ride.

Thank You and Thank You!
Thanks to Deb and Brian for another great Double, thanks to Xenia and Paul for the company, and hopefully we'll see you all again at the Solvang Double! Thanks to the bikeforum.net checkpoint workers, (Phil, Lee, Jon) plus the Rebel checkpoint workers (Kriss Okubo, Cathe and Wick Waltmire, Paul and Elise Haussler (well, they used to be Rebels!) and John Long, OCW worker Frank Neal, ADO worker Ron Hansen and in fact, thanks all the checkpoint and SAG workers!

Rick Burneson / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 02-19-08 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-17-08, 08:25 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Whew!
Old 02-17-08, 08:48 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I did a 4 a.m. - to - 4 p.m. double back in 1972, when I lived in Los Angeles, but I have not attempted one since. You have earned my respect!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-17-08, 10:50 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Thanks for sharing. I did a 4 a.m. - to - 4 p.m. double back in 1972, when I lived in Los Angeles, but I have not attempted one since. You have earned my respect!
John,

If you did it then, you could do it now! Not in 12 Hours maybe, but you could do it. My time for Butterfield was about 15-1/2 hours. I'll have to wait for the Planet Ultra website to publish the exact times, but that's close.

I rode a (slightly) sub 12 hr. double back in '84 (yeah, when I was 34!) but that's not likely to happen again. Time limits on doubles vary, but usually between 17 and 19 hours. Grand Tour (probably the one you rode) and Hemet (and maybe Knoxville) all have 24 hour time limits . . . aka no time limit.

And BlueDawg . . . this is the year for your first double!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-17-08, 11:09 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Make mine George Dickel. Straight up.
Old 02-18-08, 06:08 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congratulations to you and your wife!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-18-08, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Make mine George Dickel. Straight up.

Congratulations Rick. Your wife and you both deserve a double shot of Blues Dawg's favorite.
Old 02-18-08, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
Rick, has Jackie done doubles before? How many have you done and how many together?
Good job, btw.
Old 02-18-08, 08:57 AM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Great job and nice story!
Old 02-18-08, 09:00 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hi John,

Yes, Jackie has done doubles before. In fact, after we were married it was Jackie who talked me into trying doubles again (I'd given it up after P-B-P '91). My first "CA" double was Davis, 2003, and I was already 50+ then!

I think she earned her first CA Triple Crown in '95, i.e. back in the Hugh Murphy days. If you look on the CA Triple Crown website, you can see all her doubles (and mine) by year, thanks to Chuck Bramwell, Frank Neal and Charlie Irwin's website. She may be listed under "Royer," her maiden name . . . Not sure.

Okay, just checked. 2008 Butterfield was my 28th CA double and Jackie's 21st.

Here is the address if you'd like to check on anyone else:

https://www.caltriplecrown.org/2007/2...on2=All&ClubID=

Then click on their name for their totals, as well as the specific doubles they've ridden . . . and maybe a photo!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-18-08, 09:05 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Great ride!.
Old 02-18-08, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!, Great Ride!, Great Ride Report!!
Old 02-18-08, 10:25 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Great report...like the headings.
Old 02-18-08, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Our first Double Century of 2008!

Cathe and Wick at Checkpoint #4
From Antonio, there was a right onto Santa Margarita, then a quick left onto Plano Trabuco. That done, there was the twisting downhill switchback descent in Trabuco Canyon and the joy of finally rolling into the final checkpoint, Checkpoint #4, at mile 167.5. By this time it was getting cold again (about 7:30 PM), 57 deg.F at the school near the top of Antonio and probably high 40's in Trabuco. Rebels Cathe and Wick Waltmire (Cathe checking riders in, Wick cooking), plus Lee (scvroadie on bikeforums.net) were holding down Checkpoint #4, with warm Cups-O-Soup very much welcome (salty but good!). Plus, I spoke with Dante for a few minutes (he loves his fleece leg warmers!), David Slaton, Cathe and Wick and (countless) others, and I was (secretly) really wanting to hug the propane heater!

Rick Burneson / OCRR
Rick, it was great to see at CP#4. And yes the fleece knickers were nice and warm, well worth the price. Here’s my ride report of the Butterfield. I also posted it on the SoCal site.

I started with the mass start at 6:15. It was a fast start since it was downhill out of the hotel. It was cold at first but soon we hit the hills on the way to the beach and I warmed up. Great rollers, why is it there is always a traffic light, red no less, at the bottom of every downhill? We finally made the mini stop and I met Jon (WhiteCarbonDude). I let the group I was riding with go, they were riding a little faster than I like to.

I got to check point #1 and saw John Long and others. I dumped some clothes, it was warming up. CP #1 and CP#3 were the same so I could pick up my clothes on the way back. I made it to Oceanside and headed out the bike path towards Bonsall. About 2 miles out the path I encountered a swarm of bees. They were everywhere, the air was black with them and I was in the middle of them, being hit by hundreds of them. As I emerged out the other side I looked down to see about 50 of them on me. Some of them were stunned and upside down trying to sting anything they could. I was brushing them as genially as I could to keep from getting stung, all the while I was riding along. I didn’t get stung, I don’t know how. The adrenaline was running pretty high during the whole event and it took a few minute to calm down. Then it was finally on to CP#2 and lunch.

It lunch I saw Phil (Extort) with his big smile and Frank Neil. Lunch was the usual Subway sandwiches, I had one and it tasted good. As soon as I left lunch there was a climb, I think it was about 6 miles and 20+%. Looking back at my download it was only 4.5 miles with an average of 4% with some pitches of 8%. (Note to self, only eat half the sandwich, take the rest for later and don’t stay to long)

The ride to CP#3 was uneventful, saw Jon again at the mini stop. I put my arm and leg warmers back on and grabbed my lights at CP#3 and head towards the last climbs of the day. First, Antonio Parkway the climb that never quits. Then CP#4 and Lee (scroadie), a cup of noodles, the most comfortable concrete and rock wall I’ve ever sat on and a few minutes off the bike. Then it was the dreaded Trabuco/Live Oak climb, over the climb and heading home. Oh, there were a few more small climbs and some false flats. Finally the most beautiful sign I saw all day, Sand Canyon. A quick 2.5 miles downhill and I was finished. I showed 194.9 miles and 9,000’ of climbing on my Polar CS600.

After checking in I had a burger at Knollwood’s and stopped at Peet’s for a drink. Then it was a nice lonnnnng hot shower and a bed. It was a good ride and I was happy with my time for this early in the year. I think the best part of the whole ride was meeting and visiting with all the riders and workers along the route.
Old 02-18-08, 12:00 PM
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Another one in the bag. Good going Rick!

You too Dante!.....but I know you prefer triples...
Old 02-18-08, 12:26 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Another one in the bag. Good going Rick!

You too Dante!.....but I know you prefer triples...
Thanks George,

There were at least a couple of fixie riders out there too . You would have felt right at home!

Yes, a double is a short ride for Dante .

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-18-08, 12:30 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic!! Great ride report, I am very impressed. A double century is only in my dreams. Then again, a year ago a 50-miler was only in my dreams.....
Old 02-18-08, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
Hi John,

Yes, Jackie has done doubles before. In fact, after we were married it was Jackie who talked me into trying doubles again (I'd given it up after P-B-P '91). My first "CA" double was Davis, 2003, and I was already 50+ then!

I think she earned her first CA Triple Crown in '95, i.e. back in the Hugh Murphy days. If you look on the CA Triple Crown website, you can see all her doubles (and mine) by year, thanks to Chuck Bramwell, Frank Neal and Charlie Irwin's website. She may be listed under "Royer," her maiden name . . . Not sure.

Okay, just checked. 2008 Butterfield was my 28th CA double and Jackie's 21st.

Here is the address if you'd like to check on anyone else:

https://www.caltriplecrown.org/2007/2...on2=All&ClubID=

Then click on their name for their totals, as well as the specific doubles they've ridden . . . and maybe a photo!

Rick / OCRR
Wow! I didn't know you did P-B-P! Sounds like a perfect marraige.
Old 02-18-08, 12:43 PM
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Wow! I didn't know you did P-B-P! Sounds like a perfect marraige.
+1 That is excellent!
Old 02-18-08, 01:15 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
+1 That is excellent!
You know, as funny as it may sound to a non-cyclist, it is the perfect marriage. My first wife would drive support (esp. appreciated on BAM - Bicycle Across Missouri, 566 miles St.L. to K.C. and back in '85), but she wasn't a cyclist, so she really never understood. We divorced in '95; I married Jackie in 2002.

With Jackie, it's great, because she DOES understand! She wants to be out there riding as much as I do . So when I say "It's all good!" . . . it really is. I honestly couldn't be happier!

She introduced me to the CA Triple Crown series, plus a lot of great folks in the double riding community here in CA (Dave Evans, Ron Hansen, Lynn Katano, Chuck Bramwell, Tom Parkes, Frank Neal, John Long, etc.).

So here I am, living in CA (instead of MO!), riding all these great doubles, and surrounded by wonderful people. Does it get any better? I don't think so!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 02-18-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 04:44 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I rode a (slightly) sub 12 hr. double back in '84 (yeah, when I was 34!)
... making us just about the same age

Grand Tour (probably the one you rode) ...
Back then, we simply called it the "Los Angeles Wheelmen Double Century." Although I was just a fresh UCLA graduate, two months shy of my 22nd birthday, I never would have attempted it without four months of coaching and propaganda from a 50-year-old Double Century veteran I had met by chance on a ride in Santa Monica. En route, we encountered a 76-year-old black gentleman from Watts on his 12th consecutive Grand Tour, and I do not think he was even the eldest participant.

Back in the 1970s Long Slow Distance riding was popular with older cyclists -- I wish I had time to get back into that.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-18-08, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks George,

There were at least a couple of fixie riders out there too . You would have felt right at home!

Yes, a double is a short ride for Dante .

Rick / OCRR
Doubles are just training rides for the triple…..Ha, Ha, Ha.
Old 02-18-08, 06:16 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Outstanding!! I might have to give something like that a try one of these days. I've done 120 miles in one day but it had way too much climbing to even think about making it a double!
Old 02-18-08, 06:31 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Outstanding!! I might have to give something like that a try one of these days. I've done 120 miles in one day but it had way too much climbing to even think about making it a double!
No worries jppe,

If you can ride 120 miles with lots of climbing, then 200 with only 8,000 ft. would be easy (well, relatively speaking). The toughest double I've tried so far was Mount Tam, with 14,500 ft. It took me 17 hr. and 8 min., but I did it!

See the Triple Crown Website for elevation in each double:

https://www.caltriplecrown.com/schedule.htm

Try it, you'll like it!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 02-18-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 11:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
With the proper training you could do it. The most climbing I’ve done is 14,905’ on the Central Coast Double and it was 208.8 miles. The most miles is the Grand Tour Highland Triple, 295.6 and 11,959’ of climbing. I’m not the smallest guy around, I’m 230# and 56 years old. The one thing I’ve learned is not to try to stay up with the young small guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.