Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Watch out for skin cancer! It can kill you!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 03:56 AM

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last summer, I noticed an unusual small, red mark on my left forearm. It was smaller than a dime in size, and appeared to be getting smaller. Then I noticed it was changing color, from red to darker red with orange streaks. So I went to my dermatologist, who didn't think it was anything, but took a biopsy anyway. It came back melanoma, the worst type of skin cancer. I went to a surgeon who specialized in skin cancer, and he operated on me. I am thankful he got it in time, and there was no evidence of cancer in my lymph nodes.
I have since switched dermatologists. The woman doctor I was going to never did inspect me very carefully, and I think she would have missed my cancer if I hadn't pointed it out to her. I suspect being a woman, she was embarrased to take me down to my skivvies and look me over carefully. So now I have a guy dermatologist who really takes the time to look me over twice a year.
After my operation, I asked the surgeon what I could do to avoid such cancers in the future. He said to cover up, (even to the point of wearing a long sleeved shirt in the summer) use at least a 30 rated sun block, and be aware of any anomalies on your skin. But he said my melanoma was the result of what I didn't do 30-40 years ago, when we didn't have sun block and I ran around all summer red as a beet wearing no hat. I have fair skin and was a red head in my youth.
One more thing. Be sure to wear chap stick with sun block on your lips throughout the summer. My dentist says I have some evidence of sun damage on my lower lip. A friend's husband just had his entire lower lip cut off due to skin cancer -- and they didn't get it all. I fear he won't be around long.
Thanks for considering this.

Tom McGeehan, Somerset, KY, age 69 (and hoping for at least 79). Rode 1800+ miles last year on my Fuji Tourer.
Old 02-20-08, 07:33 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice. My dermatologist has removed 3 spots which were either pre-cancerous or benign, and he sprays sun-damaged skin with liquid nitrogen. Like you i am fair-skinned, used to sun myself, but now use a lot of SPF 30.
Old 02-20-08, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I got 1 ear done about a month ago and they are doing my other ear next week. Besides all the other spots on my face. I go every year because I worked outside all my life.
Old 02-20-08, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how you feel I went to my M.D. two years ago with a pearl colored spot on my shoulder. He checked my Heart & B.P. on the way out the door I reminded him about my shoulder. He just waved his hand and said if it is raised it is benign. Fast forward to a few months ago a new DR. took one look & said she didn't like it. It was a slow growing Cancer, but they took a good size chunk of my shoulder tissue because it was so old.
I called the first Doctor to complain but I guess if there is a lesson here I was the only one who learned it.
The best sunscreen I have found is Neutrogena with helioplex in SPF 55 or 70

Giant OCR1
Old 02-20-08, 12:14 PM
BFD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like I'm like George. I used to be a landscaper. I've had a spot on my back/shoulder area burned, frozen, off. It was about the size of a quarter. Now we keep an eye on things - especially the top of my head. Yikes, let's not go there!

Yes, I wear 45 spf even in winter and during cloudy weather. While riding, etc. UV comes through the clouds, so cover up!
Old 02-20-08, 12:16 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Skin cancer is not something we hear a great deal about in the UK. It does exist but thanks to the weather- it is not a prominent problem. But from what I understand- it is that period from years ago that will come to the fore.

As it is- I will be taking every advantage I can of the sun and its rays- If I can ever find it. But possibly with a factor 20 to cut back its effects on me. Don't want to be undergoing an operation around my birthday ride in 30 years time.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-21-08, 12:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good sound advice, but remember this... the Ambre Solare factor 30 you use on the beach may not be quite as effective on a bike, or any other sport where you sweat. make sure you use a sunscreen that is specifically designed for sport.

I do a lot of hiking, and when plugging up hills you sweat in summer and winter. An more experienced hiker put me onto this... and it works a charm...

https://www.kinesys.com/

It is NOT cheap, but it is worth it given the risk.

It has been said above that the prevalence of melanoma is not common in the Uk, which is true up until now, but this is changing with more and more cases being found every year. It is still a small number compared to the rest of the world, but you do not need strong sunlight to be effected, it is the atmospheric conditions that be damaging... a cold day, hazy low sunlight is enough. UV rays can still be quite intense even when it is not sunny. Given that the climate is changing all over the world, the safe zones are no longer quite so safe anymore.
Old 02-21-08, 05:47 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
trmcgeehan - as a fellow Ky'ian, moving to cebu - I;'ve had 2 spots removed (during US visits) since I've been here in the philippines. 8 months now. I visit a dermotologist(sp?) every 6 months, Sun is Powerful over here. Your post contains words of wisdom. Dr recommended a spray, Coppertone SPORT, 50 SPF, Ultra Sweatproof, 'breathable sunscreen (whatever that means) also comes in non-spray.
Old 02-21-08, 06:19 AM

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=trmcgeehan;6197369]Last summer, I noticed an unusual small, red mark on my left forearm. It was smaller than a dime in size, and appeared to be getting smaller. Then I noticed it was changing color, from red to darker red with orange streaks. So I went to my dermatologist, who didn't think it was anything, but took a biopsy anyway. It came back melanoma, the worst type of skin cancer. I went to a surgeon who specialized in skin cancer, and he operated on me. I am thankful he got it in time, and there was no evidence of cancer in my lymph nodes. Quote ]

My wife just went thought the same thing on her back.The doctor did catch hers on a routine check up.
She gos every six months for a check up and it is a good thing she did.
Wink
Old 02-21-08, 07:15 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife's brother passed away a couple of years ago from cancer that started as a melanoma. He was a Vietnam vet that was exposed to Agent Orange. Although it cannot be proven that the chenical was the direct cause of the cancer, it is a suspected possibility. He was a very fair skined man that lived much of his life in the Phillipines and sunny California. He was only 55.
Old 02-21-08, 09:05 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
On the subject of skin cancer, my scariest cautionary tale was the tragic death of a 44-year-old red-haired coworker, who spent much time outdoors coaching his sons' soccer teams. The cause of death was melanoma of the gall bladder -- once melanoma starts somewhere on the skin, it can evidently migrate anywhere within the body.

As a freckle-skinned Celt living at 33 degrees latitude, I try to avoid the midday sun entirely, at least during spring, summer, and early fall.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-21-08, 09:18 AM

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
Last summer, I noticed an unusual small, red mark on my left forearm. It was smaller than a dime in size, and appeared to be getting smaller. Then I noticed it was changing color, from red to darker red with orange streaks. So I went to my dermatologist, who didn't think it was anything, but took a biopsy anyway. It came back melanoma, the worst type of skin cancer. I went to a surgeon who specialized in skin cancer, and he operated on me. I am thankful he got it in time, and there was no evidence of cancer in my lymph nodes.
I have since switched dermatologists. The woman doctor I was going to never did inspect me very carefully, and I think she would have missed my cancer if I hadn't pointed it out to her. I suspect being a woman, she was embarrased to take me down to my skivvies and look me over carefully. So now I have a guy dermatologist who really takes the time to look me over twice a year.
After my operation, I asked the surgeon what I could do to avoid such cancers in the future. He said to cover up, (even to the point of wearing a long sleeved shirt in the summer) use at least a 30 rated sun block, and be aware of any anomalies on your skin. But he said my melanoma was the result of what I didn't do 30-40 years ago, when we didn't have sun block and I ran around all summer red as a beet wearing no hat. I have fair skin and was a red head in my youth.
One more thing. Be sure to wear chap stick with sun block on your lips throughout the summer. My dentist says I have some evidence of sun damage on my lower lip. A friend's husband just had his entire lower lip cut off due to skin cancer -- and they didn't get it all. I fear he won't be around long.
Thanks for considering this.

Tom McGeehan, Somerset, KY, age 69 (and hoping for at least 79). Rode 1800+ miles last year on my Fuji Tourer.
Something else that you might find helpful for 'preserving' the body is Heliocare capsules:-

https://tinyurl.com/34z2t3

I get mine at Costco, as it was the best price that I found.

Hope this helps.