Thread: Size of tube

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size of tube

On my new Specialized Roubaix I just picked up I had them put on 700X28c tires, just wondering what size of tubes do I need?

At Performance they have a 700X19-26 & a 700X28-32. My friend picked up a 700X28-32 for me but I bought a couple more because they were on sale & the kid told me I need the 700X19-26. He said that is the width of the tire not the size of the tire if that makes since.

I really hope it is nice enough tomorrow to ride. I hope to ride from my wife's work to mine (7 miles) at least that will give me some miles on it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either will work. I like to go with tubes a little small because it is easier to install the tire without pinching the tube.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot use 28-32 tubes with either my Vittoria 700Cx28 tires or my Continental 700Cx28s, all of which are a tight fit on the rims and about 25mm in true width. They are much narrower than my old Specialized Armadillo 700Cx28s, which were a full 28mm wide, and then some.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REI's house brand, Novara tubes come in 18/23, 20/25, and one larger size, I believe 23/32. Six bucks.
    http://www.rei.com/bike/TOC/Componen...HP_CYCLING_TOC

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post
    On my new Specialized Roubaix I just picked up I had them put on 700X28c tires, just wondering what size of tubes do I need?

At Performance they have a 700X19-26 & a 700X28-32. My friend picked up a 700X28-32 for me but I bought a couple more because they were on sale & the kid told me I need the 700X19-26. He said that is the width of the tire not the size of the tire if that makes since.

I really hope it is nice enough tomorrow to ride. I hope to ride from my wife's work to mine (7 miles) at least that will give me some miles on it.
    I wouldn't worry excessively either way.

I have 700 X 28 Gator Skins on my tandem and retro grouch bike. Performance 700X19-26 tubes looked a little wimpy to me so I got a few 700X28-32. They fit fine on both bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said both will work. Some time take a tube and just start pumping it full of air outside the tire. You'll quickly see how much the rubber expands. So, the smaller size is more than adequate to meet your needs. I suspect the sizing thing works in reverse. That is, you don't need to think about how big it is, but if its small enough to fit.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Either will work. I like to go with tubes a little small because it is easier to install the tire without pinching the tube.
    ...and the narrower ones are lighter too. If that matters to you.

Scott P
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    ...and the narrower ones are lighter too. If that matters to you.

Scott P
    Bend, OR
    . . . and the larger ones won't lose air quite as quickly, if that matters to you .

Rick / OCRR

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only run 23's so don't have a problem choosing. BUT one thing I will say is get a tube you trust. Over the years I have tried a lot of tubes and they don't vary a great deal on quality but The ones with a name that sounds Chinese- I don't buy. Schwalbe- Michelin- Continental are the ones available at my LBS but I like the Michelins. I buy the lightweight tubes and don't have a problem with them. Only thing I have found though is that the length of stem is important. I have a deepish rim so I buy stems with a length of more than 55 mm. Then I can always get a good grip with the pump head on plenty of stem- even on a flat tube.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam raises a good point. I am prone to spending money on good shoes or a nice dinner or a new accessory for my bike, but then will turn around and buy a cheap tube because I can save $2. Doesn't really make much sense, unless I am very confident in the quality of the cheaper tube.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Only thing I have found though is that the length of stem is important. I have a deepish rim so I buy stems with a length of more than 55 mm. Then I can always get a good grip with the pump head on plenty of stem- even on a flat tube.
    My problem is the opposite. I just want ordinary tubes with 36mm presta valves. The local bike shops only sell tubes with 48mm valve stems. They look funny, they're heavier, they're less aerodynamic, and they look funny. They also look goofy.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom has just reminded me- I buy my MTB wheels from a trusted wheelbuilder- but he does a package deal of wheels- Cassette- tubes- tyres and rim tape at a very special price. I went for it once. The rim tape was the thin rubber type that I will not use- The tyres were a pattern type and not quite what I expected and the tubes-- Put it this way- One heavy landing and a flat tyre- no problem and it was heavy for me. Off with the tyre- and the Tube was shredded. It was a lightweight tube with no name on it. Got home and decided to change the rear tube. Let the air out and Took the tube out and discarded it. Following week wrapped it up and It would do as a spare so into the wedge. Next puncture I had- Out with the spare tube- Few stokes of air and One massive great big Bulge in the tube. Thank goodness I carry a repair kit as I was not going to fit that tube.

I don't buy the package deal from him any longer.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the narrow tubes in my Armadillo 28's last summer and the tube ripped around the valve stem. Coincidence? Maybe. I had alway used fatter tubes prior to that, and had never had a similar problem. My next tube purchase was the fatter ones. (Fatter is undoubtedly not a proper bike term.)