Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ride on new bike

I picked up my new Specialized Roubaix on Tuesday but the weather hasn't been nice enough to ride until Friday so I planned on riding to work if weather permitted.

Me & the wife carpool 18 miles to her work, then I usually drive the 7 miles to my work, but yesterday I loaded the new bike up & rode it from the wife's work to mine. It was a little cool in the morning, I think the temperature was 26 degrees so it took a little to get the legs warmed up.

I have to say I was hoping I would get a little more speed out of the new bike compared to my hybrid but it was only like a mile or two better. Even on the way home when it was in the 50's I wasn't going that much faster then I do on my hybrid.
    I did notice on the hills the new bike was a lot easier to peddle & it seemed like I wasn't as winded even though this was only the third time riding this year. (two were on the hybrid 9 miles just around home)

I am just trying to get used to riding for now, the road bike is a lot quicker on the handling, I get a little wobbly when I let go of one hand.

The shifting is different of coarse but I'm picking that up pretty fast. I don't use clipless peddles as of yet, Steve at the LBS wanted me to get used to the bike first, get some miles on it then come back with my shoes & get fitted again.

Sunday it supposes to be nice again so I hope to get out for a longer ride. Someone suggested I should do about a 30 mile ride but that seems a little long for early in the season. My buddy also got his Motobecane put together Friday so hopefully he will be ready to ride with me on Sunday.

I think once the weather starts getting nicer I will like riding the road bike. With the hybrid I had a trunk I used or my panniers so I never worried about carry cloths, supplies, etc. Now with the road bike I just have a seat wedge & two water bottles so I will have to learn how to carry less stuff.

Friday I used my Camelbak for my cloths & lunch & that worked pretty well for the short distance, but I hope to ride the 25 miles home in a few months & I think the Camelbak will get uncomfortable.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a stock reply to new bike postings. Useless without pics. It may just be a new bike to you- but it is something for us to drool over or pick holes in---It's not a white one is it? If it is- don't bother with the pics as it will get DG in Over-exuberence mode and that is not pretty.

It will take time to get adjusted to a new bike so it will improve. Tweak a bit here and there for comfort and by the time that is done- The bearings will have loosened and you will have yourself working better aswell.

I often use a camelback and they have always proved comfortable. So 25 miles with 5lbs of sandwiches in it will not be a problem.

And well done on a good choice of bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice of a new bike. Looking forward to a report om the Sunday ride. Congrats!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    There is a stock reply to new bike postings. Useless without pics. It may just be a new bike to you- but it is something for us to drool over or pick holes in---It's not a white one is it? If it is- don't bother with the pics as it will get DG in Over-exuberence mode and that is not pretty.
    I will try & get pictures later, but it is the brushed aluminum color so no fancy colors like I wished it was. I am a fan of bright colors so this is pretty dull looking for me.

That is funny because my friends bike is "white"!!!! He likes it but I am not a fan of white & I know how hard it will be to keep clean so that was one color I would not get.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new bike, w2brdbkr! Please keep us posted about the evolution of you and your bike's relationship. I ordered my Specialized Ruby last weekend. Still have another week to go until I get it. Don't worry about not suddenly going faster. Your new bike will inspire you to work on that "engine!"
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!! Roubaix is very high on my list of bikes I'm planning to test ride today. Keep riding and you will begin to loosen up. We're moving from hybrids to road bikes and I know there will be a period of adjustment, not just for the bike but also for me.

I'm happy to read that hills are easier.... is your Roubaix a double or a triple? I'm planning to get a triple because this area has no shortage of hills.

I like bright colors too, but I happen to think the brushed aluminum color is sleek and beautiful.

Best wishes for many happy miles on your new bike! I'm looking forward to reading more reports and seeing some pics.

Yen
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Congratulations!! Roubaix is very high on my list of bikes I'm planning to test ride today. Keep riding and you will begin to loosen up. We're moving from hybrids to road bikes and I know there will be a period of adjustment, not just for the bike but also for me.

I'm happy to read that hills are easier.... is your Roubaix a double or a triple? I'm planning to get a triple because this area has no shortage of hills.

I like bright colors too, but I happen to think the brushed aluminum color is sleek and beautiful.

Best wishes for many happy miles on your new bike! I'm looking forward to reading more reports and seeing some pics.

Yen
    Mine is a triple & living in Colorado I have heard different opinions on triple & compact doubles. It didn't matter to me since it is my first road bike I figured I would get used to either one, but it was the price & ride that made me go with the Specialized. I like the more upright or comfort position specially coming from a hybrid.

My buddies bike is a double but he is shorter then I am so it won't be the same but we will get an idea of the difference once we start riding together.

I am planning on a century ride the first of June so I need to get as much seat time in as I can. I know what you mean by I need to get used to how it feels & hopefully with riding & doing the small tweaking it will just keep getting better & better.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post
    ... I am planning on a century ride the first of June so I need to get as much seat time in as I can. I know what you mean by I need to get used to how it feels & hopefully with riding & doing the small tweaking it will just keep getting better & better.
    To that end, don't hesitate to go on very short rides if that is all time allows. 30 minutes is better than none at all (assuming you are feeling well, etc.). I believe all the 30-40 minute night rides I did after work this winter helped prepare me for the big hill last Saturday, and not feel one bit of leg pain the next day. This is my personal "brick by brick" philosophy to building up time in the saddle. Had I thought "I'll just skip it tonight, I only have 30 minutes", then I would have missed hours of riding. It all adds up!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To that end, don't hesitate to go on very short rides if that is all time allows. 30 minutes is better than none at all (assuming you are feeling well, etc.). I believe all the 30-40 minute night rides I did after work this winter helped prepare me for the big hill last Saturday, and not feel one bit of leg pain the next day. This is my personal "brick by brick" philosophy to building up time in the saddle. Had I thought "I'll just skip it tonight, I only have 30 minutes", then I would have missed hours of riding. It all adds up!
    Good point. I'll try & get all the short rides in I can.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 or 3 mph faster is a lot faster. Much more air resistance. The better efficiency really adds up on long rides. Efficiency in muscle use and air resistance.

You'll probably like the Roubaix. That's a classic stage race inspired design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my new Specialized Roubaix on Tuesday but the weather hasn't been nice enough to ride until Friday so I planned on riding to work if weather permitted...With the hybrid I had a trunk I used or my panniers so I never worried about carry cloth[e]s, supplies, etc. Now with the road bike I just have a seat wedge & two water bottles so I will have to learn how to carry less stuff...
    Congratulations on the new Roubaix. I love mine.

Just a suggestion: The carbon seat post and lack of attachment eyellets restrict the type of fitting one can use on the CF Roubiax. I ended up using an 11 liter Carradice Pendle saddlebag fitted to the (Brooks Pro) saddle with a Bag Man Sport attachment. This is sufficient for me to carry repair kit, full rain gear and lunch.

Pendle: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-C...traps-9409.htm

Bag Man: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-C...340g-11247.htm

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen I took your advice & decided to just go out for a short ride. We were supposes to have snow this morning but that didn't last long at all. In fact it looked more like dandruff instead of snow, then the sun came out this afternoon.

Started out & had no problem, yes the hills are easier with this bike then the hybrid. I also notice my upper legs in front get more of a workout then they did on the other bike, or maybe I'm just pushing harder I don't know I just know they talk back at me.

I was also able to keep around 17-20MPH give or take & even on the hills I just dropped to 14-15MPH but remember these are little hills nothing big. They aren't like when you get into the mountain type hills.

Then about 7 miles from home I felt something funny then all of a sudden I felt like I was on a kids bike. The ground seemed a lot closer & me knees were bunched up. Looked down & my seat came lose had fallen all the way down. Of coarse I haven't bought any tools so I had to turn around & limp home. Now I can tell the wife I need to start buying tools. This is worse then our 4-wheeling hobby & might get as expensive.

So I'm off to the LBS to get a multi tool, have them refit me & Steve said they can put some stuff on the post to help that from happening again.

Even with the seat problem it was good to be out, tomorrow is supposes to be in the 50's so we will try again.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's any carbon fiber on that Roubaix, don't get carried away with that multitool. You can over-torque carbon to the point of mashing it -- as in damage. Remember, it's basically plastic. Check with your LBS, but I think the maximum recommended torque is 45psi. My LBS recommends a tool called the Torqkey, made by Ritchey (http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~...3850&live=true). It's basically a T-shaped torque wrench.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen I took your advice & decided to just go out for a short ride. We were supposes to have snow this morning but that didn't last long at all. In fact it looked more like dandruff instead of snow, then the sun came out this afternoon.

Started out & had no problem, yes the hills are easier with this bike then the hybrid. I also notice my upper legs in front get more of a workout then they did on the other bike, or maybe I'm just pushing harder I don't know I just know they talk back at me.

I was also able to keep around 17-20MPH give or take & even on the hills I just dropped to 14-15MPH but remember these are little hills nothing big. They aren't like when you get into the mountain type hills.

Then about 7 miles from home I felt something funny then all of a sudden I felt like I was on a kids bike. The ground seemed a lot closer & me knees were bunched up. Looked down & my seat came lose had fallen all the way down. Of coarse I haven't bought any tools so I had to turn around & limp home. Now I can tell the wife I need to start buying tools. This is worse then our 4-wheeling hobby & might get as expensive.

So I'm off to the LBS to get a multi tool, have them refit me & Steve said they can put some stuff on the post to help that from happening again.

Even with the seat problem it was good to be out, tomorrow is supposes to be in the 50's so we will try again.
    ACK! that must have been a little scary! Uh, what kind of stuff to they put on the post to keep that from happening? What exactly happened, broke, or loosened to cause that to happen?

About the short rides..... please know that I am in no way suggesting going on only short rides. Go as long and as far as time and comfort allows, and the general rule is to add 10% to your time, distance or intensity per week. My point is was this: if, say, 30 minutes is all you have to ride, then don't skip it thinking it won't count. In that case, I feel that 30 minutes is better than 0 minutes (unless you are sick or need the rest). It all adds up. But do increase your distance and time as you get stronger and as time permits. We go on long rides on the weekends, but my time after work during the week is very short between getting home at 5:30, eating dinner, cleaning up dinner, packing my food snacks for the next day, preparing my clothes for work, and trying to go to bed by 9:00 -- not to mention the time it takes to change into my bike clothes, check the tires, make sure the lights are charged, etc. Most of the time, 30-40 minutes is all I can ride. At first I thought why bother, and then I realized it all counts for good. As much as I dislike riding after dark in winter, I believe all those little rides have helped in the long run and enable me to add more mileage each weekend.

Hope I've explained myself a little better..... when I posted earlier I was in a big hurry to go bike shopping and I left out some details.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACK! that must have been a little scary! Uh, what kind of stuff to they put on the post to keep that from happening? What exactly happened, broke, or loosened to cause that to happen?
    No it wasn't scary at all, the seat just came loose & all of a sudden I felt like I was on a kids bike. Steve said that happens once in a while. I'm not sure what they put on, but they squeezed a little grease looking stuff inside were the seat post goes, then put the seat post back in.
    About the short rides..... please know that I am in no way suggesting going on only short rides. Go as long and as far as time and comfort allows, and the general rule is to add 10% to your time, distance or intensity per week. My point is was this: if, say, 30 minutes is all you have to ride, then don't skip it thinking it won't count. In that case, I feel that 30 minutes is better than 0 minutes (unless you are sick or need the rest). It all adds up. But do increase your distance and time as you get stronger and as time permits. We go on long rides on the weekends, but my time after work during the week is very short between getting home at 5:30, eating dinner, cleaning up dinner, packing my food snacks for the next day, preparing my clothes for work, and trying to go to bed by 9:00 -- not to mention the time it takes to change into my bike clothes, check the tires, make sure the lights are charged, etc. Most of the time, 30-40 minutes is all I can ride. At first I thought why bother, and then I realized it all counts for good. As much as I dislike riding after dark in winter, I believe all those little rides have helped in the long run and enable me to add more mileage each weekend.

Hope I've explained myself a little better..... when I posted earlier I was in a big hurry to go bike shopping and I left out some details.
    No I understood what you were saying. I wasn't going to ride at all today & decided to go for at least a half hour. My problem is once I start then I don't stop at just half hour, I'll keep going specially on the weekends.

I know what you mean by time in the evenings, I get off work eat a protein bar & something else in the car on the way home (we commute 18 miles to wifes work, then 7 to miles to my work) get home change cloths & head to the gym & workout for 1-1/2 then come home eat a little more, check emails, clean house a little & go to bed. I don't want to give up the gym, but I might once the weather gets nice & it is lighter outside.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it wasn't scary at all, the seat just came loose & all of a sudden I felt like I was on a kids bike. Steve said that happens once in a while. I'm not sure what they put on, but they squeezed a little grease looking stuff inside were the seat post goes, then put the seat post back in.
    Since I was/am considering the Roubaix as my next bike, I'm concerned that this happens at all, much more than it happens "once in a while". Is it a problem with the seat itself, or the seat post?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I was/am considering the Roubaix as my next bike, I'm concerned that this happens at all, much more than it happens "once in a while". Is it a problem with the seat itself, or the seat post?
    I have that bike, have adjusted the seat several times, and it's never happened to me. So there you go.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    I have that bike, have adjusted the seat several times, and it's never happened to me. So there you go.
    Maybe it never happens on white bikes.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve said it is because of the carbon fiber post & nothing to do with the design.

I was the last one to ride the bike at the bike shop & we had been playing with the height so maybe we just didn't get it tightened enough the last time.

I wouldn't let that stop you from test riding one because I really like my bike so far.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Knowing you with spanners- You probably fitted the post upside Down so there is no way it would slip.

The seat post is C.F. So take care when tightening- Do not use the BIG allen key.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning I met my friend for breakfast then he went home & got his bike, we weren't sure where we wanted to go but we ended up leaving from my house.

I have 49.5 miles on the bike but I am getting used to it pretty fast I think. The route we decided on is 17 miles, which I thought would be a good ride for my friend since it was his first time out. Weather was in the high 40's & not much wind so a good day.

I might not be doing that much more speed on the flats with this bike now but the hill climbs are so much easier & you can fly downhill. Top speed was 36.4 & my average speed was 14.8 but that is including riding 5 miles from his house after our regular ride. Yes we went bike accessory shopping afterwards & instead of having my friend bring my back home I just took my bike to his house & rode it home.

With his Motobecane he is bent over a lot more then I am, but he is very happy with his bike. I am happy with mine so we are both happy campers. Hate to say it but riding is almost as much fun as sex.

We were 5 miles from home & had a big hill to climb so I thought I would see how bad I would lose him so I really pushed it. When I got to the top I looked back & no one. Wow I did awesome pulling away from him so I slowed down & he never came up the hill. Then I saw the 4 gals that were riding behind us & they said; your friend is back by the bridge so I turned around to see what happened.

Got to the bridge & he was in the process of taking off his front tire, he got a flat!!!
    First time for both of us but it wasn't hard at all & we had him up & going again.

Besides that we had a good time, both of us are happy with our bikes. Part of the road was pretty bumpy & of coarse that was downhill but the front fork seemed to really absorb the bumps so I was happy with that. Once section was really smooth asphalt & I can't believe how nice the bike rolled on that, wished all the roads were that smooth.

Now just pray for nice weather on weekends & I'll be a happy camper.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to say it but riding is almost as much fun as sex.
    I'm not sure which, but you must be doing one of them wrong.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Roubaix is a GREAT bike. I got mine in the summer of 2006 and have about 6,000 miles on it now. It started out as a 2007 Comp Triple, but there was a minor frame flaw. Specialized replaced the frame with a 2006 Roubaix Pro frame; that frame new cost more than my whole bike!

I love the bike. You ought to go ahead and go clipless right away. Years ago, I rode a Fuji steel bike with clips, but recently only a hybrid with platform pedals. Getting used to the clipless was no big deal. They put it on a trainer for me at the LBS and I practiced a few times. I've never fallen because of the clipless pedals.

Get some miles on that thing! My first tenative ride was 7 miles. It was really easy to work up to 25, then 50 and then a metric. About 8 or 9 months after I got the new bike, I did the MS 150--75 miles a day for 2 days. No problem. Right now, I do 25 miles Tuesday and Thursday before work and then usually a 50+ mile ride on Saturday. I just wish I could ride it more!

Take care of that bike and it will last for many, many miles of fun.

John

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting ready for a 30 mile ride today so for those that wanted a picture I figured I better do that first.
    I have it leaning against my other money pit, 1994 Ford Explorer that we play in the mountains with. Sure makes my 58cm bike look small.

Don't have the pedals, but bought shoes last night so hopefully this week I'll have pedals.

2007 Specialized Roubaix

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike!! Fun looking Explorer. A man who likes his toys!

Can't wait to hear about the ride. Full report, please!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast