User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Women's Professional Racing

I seem to remember a question concerning where are the women professionals while the men are racing in the Tour of California.

Our professional women's team participated in the KOM last Saturday that my wife and I participated in and Katheryn Mattis, a member, took first place for the women. After the race, the team left for Australia.

They are competing in the Geelong Worldcup UCI Race in Austrailia. http://www.geelongworldcup.com/2008/...page=Race_info

After winning Saturday, Katheryn Mattis won at Geelong. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...08/?id=results

Webcor builders used to have a pro mens team but discontinued sponsorship a couple of years ago. They continue to sponsor the women's team and expanded their participation from the US National events to international races.
    Last edited by Hermes; 02-27-08 at 09:30 AM.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us follow Pro Cycling and it is true that the women often get overlooked. If you want see a record compared to contemporaries perhaps even better than Eddy's, look at the palmares of Jeannie Longo. 51 world and national championships, including medals in road, track and mountain biking. She will shortly be old enough to be a member of this forum and still has a pro contract this year. Oh, she also has a PhD!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannie_Longo

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Jeannie Longo in the Women's road race at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. She won the gold.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend Pam was racing in the Women's Challenge in 1992? and Jeannie Longo walked up and slapped her in the face after a stage. She doesn't know why. Jeannie Longo was a marked women at that event and the peloton was all over her. She was bitter about it in an interview I saw. She is one of a kind.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, she is apparently disliked buy most of the ladies peloton (well at least that is what I have read).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    Yep, she is apparently disliked buy most of the ladies peloton (well at least that is what I have read).
    I heard the same thing. I'm sure it's partly because she was so dominant. Pam told me the women would get upset when they heard she came out of retirement again. They referred to her as "That b1tch". It says on the site that she did win the event twice, once using a fake name. My friend Pam was a domestique for Lynda Jackson the year she won it.

On the Women's Challenge, they had some pretty good TV on it a few times. They even put a helmet-cam on ex-pro Jessica Grieco and sent her into the criterium. That was exciting, bumping elbows and all the sounds from within the race!

http://www.womenschallenge.com/brief_history4.asp
    Last edited by big john; 02-27-08 at 07:17 AM.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further from Australia...I thought Lance won a World Cup event but it appears not. No American male cyclists have won a WC race.

From the Webcor builder's team manager...”The Webcor Builders team rode flawlessly in the first World Cup*event of 2008 and scored the biggest victory of the team's existence by winning the race! Katheryn showed her great form in the Geelong Tour and followed it up with the biggest victory of her career - a World Cup win. Only one other American, male or female has ever won a World Cup race and that was Dede Demet Barry in 1998 and 2002.”

From USAcycling.org

Katheryn Curi Mattis wins UCI Women's Road World Cup opener

Geelong, Australia (February 23, 2008)—Webcor Builder’s Katheryn Curi Mattis (Mountain View, Calif.) recorded the most significant victory of her career on Sunday with a win in the opening round of the 2008 UCI Women’s Road World Cup.

With the win, Mattis earned the season’s first World Cup leader’s jersey.

In the 120-kilometer race, Mattis placed first ahead of Australian Emma Rickards and Ina Teutenberg (GER). Mattis and Rickards formed a two-woman breakaway three laps into the eight-lap race before challenging each other in a two-up sprint for win. Mattis initiated the final kick to the line and held off a chasing Rickards, who also claimed her first career World Cup podium finish.

After winning a national championship in the 2005 elite women’s road race, Curi went on to have the best season of her career in 2007 – a campaign that saw her place third overall at the Redlands Bicycle Classic and the Tour Cycliste Féminin International Ardèche as a member of USA Cycling’s Women’s National Team program.

The 11-race World Cup series continues with the Trofeo Alfredo Binda in Italy on March 24, but the international peloton will first remain in the Southern Hemisphere for next week’s Women’s Tour of New Zealand, Feb. 27 through Mar. 2.

Below is a podium pic of Webcor Builders at Geelong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! Which one is Katheryn?
    If I may ask, what is your position with the team?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Cool! Which one is Katheryn?
    If I may ask, what is your position with the team?
    I believe Katheryn is the tall one in the middle. I have nothing to do with the pro team or the sponsor. My wife and I belong to Webcor/Alto Velo which is a racing club with the principal sponsor being Webcor Builders.

I thought people would find it interesting what the women pros are doing in light of the recent men's Tour of California and it appears we have a very strong team that can compete effectively in the international and world cup cycling events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard the same thing. I'm sure it's partly because she was so dominant.
    I think it's more likely because she was just plain nasty and mean. Lots of officials feel the same way about her and it makes no difference to them whether she's dominating the field or not.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    I think it's more likely because she was just plain nasty and mean. Lots of officials feel the same way about her and it makes no difference to them whether she's dominating the field or not.

Do you think female pro's are expected to have a better personality than a snarky guy who races?

Just thinking out loud.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Do you think female pro's are expected to have a better personality than a snarky guy who races?

Just thinking out loud.
    I would say they usually do have a better personality in most sports, although all of the male pros I have met have been super cool. It's just that most women's sprorts don't become testosterone fests and women players/racers seem to get along a little better.
    Having said all that, Jeannie Longo is truly a great bike racer and athelete. People at that elite level tend to be...oh, I don't know, somewhat egotistical? Something has to drive them.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you all think there will ever be another Tour de France for women?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Do you all think there will ever be another Tour de France for women?
    August 9.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    August 9.

Thanks I'll read up on it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend Pam was racing in the Women's Challenge in 1992? and Jeannie Longo walked up and slapped her in the face after a stage. She doesn't know why. Jeannie Longo was a marked women at that event and the peloton was all over her. She was bitter about it in an interview I saw. She is one of a kind.
    I have been in competitive sports for most of my Youth. There is a fine line between Competitive Spirit and Aggression. Those that were aggressive did not last long in my day- They got bounced very hard-Either on the track- or afterwards in the pits.

I am afraid that there are some riders that Just do not know how to behave with others. Aerton Senna was one- and Yes- I even saw him taken round the back of the pits and thumped. Alain Prost was another. Both of them calmed down eventually and that was when they became the great drivers that most remember.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Further from Australia...I thought Lance won a World Cup event but it appears not. No American male cyclists have won a WC race.

From the Webcor builder's team manager...”The Webcor Builders team rode flawlessly in the first World Cup*event of 2008 and scored the biggest victory of the team's existence by winning the race! Katheryn showed her great form in the Geelong Tour and followed it up with the biggest victory of her career - a World Cup win. Only one other American, male or female has ever won a World Cup race and that was Dede Demet Barry in 1998 and 2002.
    I thought this was incorrect when I first read it so i went back and checked. Tyler Hamilton (yes him) won LBL in 2003 when it was part of the UCI Road World Cup. Lance won the Classica San Sebastian in 1995 and I am almost positive that it was a World Cup race that year. In any case the Webcor guy is wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I have been in competitive sports for most of my Youth. There is a fine line between Competitive Spirit and Aggression. Those that were aggressive did not last long in my day- They got bounced very hard-Either on the track- or afterwards in the pits.

I am afraid that there are some riders that Just do not know how to behave with others. Aerton Senna was one- and Yes- I even saw him taken round the back of the pits and thumped. Alain Prost was another. Both of them calmed down eventually and that was when they became the great drivers that most remember.
    Alain Prost raced bicycles after F-1! At least he did once, and finished pretty well at 41.
    http://www.prostfan.com/1996.htm
    Actually, he raced quite a few times, I found

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    I thought this was incorrect when I first read it so i went back and checked. Tyler Hamilton (yes him) won LBL in 2003 when it was part of the UCI Road World Cup. Lance won the Classica San Sebastian in 1995 and I am almost positive that it was a World Cup race that year. In any case the Webcor guy is wrong.
    What I found interesting and confusing, was that at Geelong there were two races - the Geelong Stage race consisting of three stages and the UCI World Cup event that was one race. I assume most of the riders competed in both since they were there.

Here is the link to the Webcor's Schedule for 2008. http://www.webcorcycling.com/2008/schedule.html I am sure there are a number of races in which they do not participate.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why they don't have women's World Cup races in the U.S.? They will be in Montreal for the Tour of Montreal which is considered one of the hardest races on the tour.

This is followed by a TT, a crit and 3 stage races. Jeannie Longo was here last year and if the entire race was climbing she would do very, very well.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone came up with enough money, I bet there would be one.