Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my age, ignominiously

I was planning on a 50-mile spin, taking it relatively easy after yesterday's 41-miler. This is all part of my "long slow distance" endurance-building plan. Somehow I hooked up with a group of 20- and 30-something racer wannabes. We rode through the hill country rollers at 18-24 mph and at one point on the flats we were going 30. That's Cat5 race pace. Needless to say, I got spit out the back of the group (that was now down to about 8 riders) at around the 31-mile point. Great. I'm out in the countryside, I don't have a map, I am only vaguely aware of where I am. 10 miles later I find myself in a town I know. I go on various roads that look different (and are different) from the roads I used to know 15 years ago when I last rode out that way. Finally I find the right road and get back to town. Good points: some fast riding, but still got my long slow distance in. I ended up with a metric century. I did not have any problems with my knees, no cramping, felt reasonably good the whole time. Bad points: riding harder than I wanted to, and more importantly, harder than I was capable of. Messing up my training schedule by riding too hard. Getting lost in the middle of nowhere is also no fun.

Best part: really nice ride in great weather (albeit a mite windy).

-soma5

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age ride does not count through stupidity- Fancy staying with 20 year olds for more than a mile. Shows you are fitter than you should be so Sorry- Birthday ride is Void. Have to do it again with two pie stops on the way.- but only after you have got the brain together and don't try and stay with the youngsters.

Joking apart- Well done on the distance.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, a 100-mile weekend, huh? Not too bad. I can get to 30 downhill with the wind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up with a metric century"

I read this to be 100 km. It is not imperial century, or I am mistaken?

Proud To Be An American EXCALIBUR's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buyer View Post
    I ended up with a metric century"

I read this to be 100 km. It is not imperial century, or I am mistaken?
    A metric century = 62 miles.
    EXCALIBUR

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - metric century is 100km, or around 62 miles. It's the longest ride I've done since getting back on the bike last July. I think that oxygen deprivation was operating here, allowing my mind to convince itself that riding with that group was a good idea. I only realized what a bad idea it was after I got dropped and didn't know where I was. There was actually no way that I could have stayed with that group for the entire ride. Next time I am doing this with pie stops. Or at least, other geezers. There are plenty of 50+ riders around here who regularly ride longer distances. I rode with a couple in their 70s on Saturday for part of the ride who were in very good shape.

-soma5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good idea, riding with your same age group/fitness. I am not fortunate. In Thailand (I am a Thai), there are very few roadbike riders. So I have to ride with younger guys (30-40) regularly. I got dropped only when I started cycling 8-9 years ago. Over the years, my fitness improves and now I can ride comfortably with young guns, never get dropped and sometimes even in the front group.
    Keep riding and gradually extend your distance. One day, you will be surprised that your 55-years-old body (mine) can keep up with young guns easily.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with buyer !

Like you I am a long - steady - distance rider, but if I have a couple weeks break between doubles I will often ride with the young - fast riders since its kind of like an interval workout, though not so structured.

The point being (as buyer pointed out), that riding with the fast guys forces you (well, at least me) to ride harder than originally planned. Or . . . faster than my lazy @ss would have had me riding on my own.

Something to keep in mind anyway.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    62 miles??? I thought it was 66! Hey, maybe I *can* do this!

Good job... if I get in 100 miles a WEEK, I'm doing great.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Proud To Be An American EXCALIBUR's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buyer View Post
    In Thailand (I am a Thai), there are very few roadbike riders.
    Sawat dii khrap. Baan yuu thii nai khrap? Khun ruu Suan Lum mai khrap?
    Last edited by EXCALIBUR; 02-25-08 at 07:25 PM.
    EXCALIBUR