User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Stuck in Italy and want to come home

I have been on a business trip in Northern Italy since last Wednesday. It took me 18 hours of travel to get to my first hotel and worked 12 hours on Thursday and 14 hours on Friday. I was invited to go skiing on Saturday and Sunday so I jumped at the chance. No biking time so needed some exercise. This is my sixth trip to Europe since January 07 and only the second time I had some time to do something on my own. I haven’t been skiing in 23 years but this was a good opportunity to give it a go. We drove up to Ponte di Legno, Passo Tonnale Saturday morning. A friend lent me skis and ski clothes and I rented a pair of ski boots. I got about 10 minutes on an easy slope and then we went straight up the lifts to the intermediate and advanced intermediate slopes. One of my companions was an Austrian business man living for a long time in Italy. He has been skiing almost since he could walk. Under his tutelage I was able to have a fun day skiing without spending to much time on my bottom. On the last trip down the slopes I screwed up a turn, caught a tip and just before my knee snapped, my binding let go. I got up assessed the situation and felt okay so I skied to the bottom.

Today, Sunday, I woke up to a tweaky knee and some screaming quads. On the last trip down my instructor told me I was staying to low after the turns and spent to much time with my legs flexed low. I found muscles I haven’t used like that in a long time.

Tonight I am back in my hotel room in Brescia, writing reports and preparing for another couple of long days. There is no hotel gym to workout in and I won’t be back on the bike until next weekend. I then have one week before Solvang Century. Oh well, what are you gonna do? Here are a couple of pics.

After a couple of Runs on the Alpa Alta Runs

Alpa Alta

Passo Tonnale

Looking for a biking vacation place to stay? Ponte di Legno

Ponte di Legno

Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm jealous!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing coincidence! I'm stuck working in California and wish I were in Italy.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the problem is........ ???

I really like the pictures.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hate it when I get stuck somewhere and have to go skiing.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..and I'm certain the food is terrible. Really, from one end of Italy to another, you can never find anything to eat...

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At last, a vacation report that doesn't make me jealous. Mountains & Italy sound nice, but I'm sick of snow and I've never skied or even been tempted to go skiing. That's one experience that not on my bucket list.

But that town looks very nice.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably won't read this in time, but ask your friend if there's a place called something like "Ponte Priete" around there....I've been looking for it for ages, but can't find a trace of it. Should be right about where you are.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Amazing coincidence! I'm stuck working in California and wish I were in Italy.
    Me too!

Mrs. cgallagh
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! Now have a good time and don't break anything!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor baby !!!!!!

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

My gosh skis have changed a bit since the late 60's. Those things
    look so short.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been to Italy for 38 years so looking forward to going to Venice in 4 weeks. No work, just play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    ..and I'm certain the food is terrible. Really, from one end of Italy to another, you can never find anything to eat...
    And the wretched architecture! That Pantheon in Rome hasn't been updated for years.

Paul

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Me too!

Mrs. cgallagh
    I don't blame you for being mad. He should have taken you with him
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Me too!

Mrs. cgallagh
    Post of the week.

My Bikes
    orbea onyx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live at Mont Tremblant and ski 80-100 days each season. For the last 7 years teaching in the tremblant ski school.So I can relate to wanting to cycle when the snow is still here.But man,what an opportunity,especially since you haven´t skied in ages.By the way i have skied on the head skis you were using.great skis,maybe a bit stiff for someone just getting back to the sport.
    I am looking out my window at 3 feet of snow ,and another storm coming wed., I won´t be cycling until May!
    By the way,going to alta[utah] next week to hit the powder.
    Not sure wht all this has to do with cycling,but i also love to chat about skiing.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    Haven't been to Italy for 38 years so looking forward to going to Venice in 4 weeks. No work, just play.
    Any biking?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Any biking?
    In Venice? No, and not in the countryside either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you ended up with some of "them damn modern skis" They look way to short, and wide...(from someone who has a pair of200cm 7s' in the back of the car so when I get a wild hair I will go up to Loveland and try to ski for the first time in about 15years...) checked the bindings, they work..
    Bud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you trying to stick a dagger in my heart? Love that country.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sitting in the British Air Business lounge in Heathrow waiting the next 4 hours for my flight home. I am so glad to be on the way back to CA. My business was just southeast of Milan in Crema. I was staying in Brescia and driving the 35 km to work through thick fog every day. This was the business trip from hell as my task was to act as an enforcer to get an errant supplier back on track. 14 hour days in fab shop do not make for a fun filled trip. I must say the weekend was pretty darn good and yes the food is fantastic. Uh oh, I now have a few extra pounds to lose. I think the highlight was the Tagliatal with mushrooms and snails followed by Capreta al Forno (roasted baby goat) served with a 2003 Barolo. For desert, 15 year old grappa and cafe lungo.

I saw lots of commuter cyclist, many of whom were dressed in fur coats, tight jeans with high spiked heels. and these weren't all women. . There were lots of road cyclists on nice bikes but there were not to many helmets in sight. Went by a couple of bike shops but they were mostly for every day commuter and cruiser bikes. I never found the roady bike shop.

Some day I would like to ride up through Passo Tonnale and Ponte di Lengo. The Giro di Italia goes through there and the scenery is fantastic.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh View Post
    I am sitting in the British Air Business lounge in Heathrow waiting the next 4 hours for my flight home. I am so glad to be on the way back to CA. My business was just southeast of Milan in Crema. I was staying in Brescia and driving the 35 km to work through thick fog every day. This was the business trip from hell as my task was to act as an enforcer to get an errant supplier back on track. 14 hour days in fab shop do not make for a fun filled trip. I must say the weekend was pretty darn good and yes the food is fantastic. Uh oh, I now have a few extra pounds to lose. I think the highlight was the Tagliatal with mushrooms and snails followed by Capreta al Forno (roasted baby goat) served with a 2003 Barolo. For desert, 15 year old grappa and cafe lungo.

I saw lots of commuter cyclist, many of whom were dressed in fur coats, tight jeans with high spiked heels. and these weren't all women. . There were lots of road cyclists on nice bikes but there were not to many helmets in sight. Went by a couple of bike shops but they were mostly for every day commuter and cruiser bikes. I never found the roady bike shop.

Some day I would like to ride up through Passo Tonnale and Ponte di Lengo. The Giro di Italia goes through there and the scenery is fantastic.
    I'm currently working in south Italy doing pretty much the same thing you were...trying to get a supplier back on track.

I go back and forth on this place, one day I like it, next day I can't wait to go home. I have done a lot of travelling in my life and I usually love it but this place wears on me. The food? Overrated, IMO. It's OK but no variety. I prefer Asian food anyways and this place has very little of that. I do like the scenery though, some great roads for cycling but the nutcase drivers are a bit scary.