Thread: Half Marathon

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half Marathon

Since the riding conditions have been so poor this winter, I've been doing a little running. Since I don't like running, I entered myself in the Peterborough Half Marathon for motivation. The event was today and it was a beautiful day for riding but I ran anyway. I was hoping to finish in 2 hr 20 min, but did it in 2 hr 09 min. More importantly I beat my brother by 4 minutes. He's been doing these things for 30 years this was my first, but to be fair he's an old guy at 66 and I'm just a young whipper snapper at 60. Hope the cross training is going to help on the bike.
    Moderation can be taken to an extreme.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A successful half marathon in Ontario in February. I don't know whether to congratulate you or offer you my condolences.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Any time of year, that's an accomplishment of which to be proud (especially when a younger sibling is involved).

Hope you get to ride again soon!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the run.

If I may veer off-topic for a bit, how's cycling on highway 7? I'm mapping out a century for this summer and was thinking of using highway 7 from Perth to highway 41 in Kaladar. Any thoughts?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It helps in your biking. I used to run half marathon for 2.05 hours. Marathon for 5.30 hours. That was in 2000 when I was still young at 48 years old.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    If I may veer off-topic for a bit, how's cycling on highway 7? I'm mapping out a century for this summer and was thinking of using highway 7 from Perth to highway 41 in Kaladar. Any thoughts?

Highway 7 is for the most part a two lane highway and is heavily travelled by both cars and trucks. I'm not that familliar with the area you're considering but I avoid Hwy 7 on local rides. You might consider http://d567650.u95.wireballcreative.net/OBRJan07.pdf at the bottom of Page 9 "Note On-Road Alternative: Bancroft to Ottawa (South)".
    Moderation can be taken to an extreme.