Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

storage outside

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

storage outside

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 06:14 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
storage outside

For reasons beyond my control, I must store my bike outside for a few months. The bike will be under a roof, but open to weather. I need to find some type of cover or something of that nature to protect the bike from as much weather as possible. I really do not know how to handle this. Any ideas?
Old 02-22-08, 06:22 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all I am not an expert,,,that said...if you want the cheep route, since it is a designated period, I would go the large trash bag method...on the other hand that might keep moisture in...If it is under a roof and will not be exposed to the wet of rain, my next thought is cover it with an old sheet or blanket to keep the dirt, dust off and there you go.
so much for that...not high tec.
Old 02-22-08, 07:03 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I lived in an apartment I had to keep my bikes on a back porch. I used a tarp to keep them dry. One very similar to this one. I think it cost less than $10.00.

https://www.tarpfactoryoutlet.com/hmp...tarps_main.htm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Last edited by Beverly; 03-17-08 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 08:20 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
If it is already protected from rain, I would use an old sheet to keep the dirt and more off of it. Any plastic cover will hold in moisture (humidity, not just rain). I would use something breathable, and an old sheet is a cheap option.
Old 02-22-08, 08:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some good ideas so far. I want to add that blowing rain will be able to get to the bike, so: Are the sheets the best option? Sounds like it may be best. Any more ideas? Any product made for this situation? I have not seen anythihg in the biking magazines, but am still searching. Thanks
Old 02-22-08, 08:34 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Look in the automobile magazines for the breathable covers. A small one could be cut to fit a bike or two. They won't keep the moisture in.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-22-08, 09:12 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Nashbar Bicycle Cover?
Old 02-22-08, 09:26 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
You really should keep it inside you know . . . If your neighbors see, you could be reported to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Bicycles (SPCB).

If they get ahold of you (the SPCB folks) . . . it could get ugly. So please, for the sake of your bicycle, find someplace inside to park it

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-22-08, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knowing that SPCB could become a problem I worked hard to get on the SPCB local patrol so that I could guide searches away from my home. I have high hopes this will work, but nothing is definite in the murky world of SPCB.
Old 02-22-08, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My bike hasn't been inside in five months. Other than some superficial
rust on bolts and nuts you should see no harm from moisture as long as
you keep the bike well lubed. Of course I'm no expert, but mine is just
fine...and I'm dealing with snow, rain, salt and ice. I think the Sun's
ultra violets would cause more harm than moisture would. Just my opinion
of course.
Old 02-23-08, 01:57 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cruelty to Bikes is one thing but If you have to- then get a Goretex cover to put over it. Feel certain you can get one custom made somewhere for around $1,000.

Problem with a Taup will be condensation- Problem with a sheet will be a wet covering permanently round the bike. Spray the bike with a light oil if you can and in particular on anything steel. Then use a taup but loosely covered to allow moisture out. And on bright sunny days- Take the taup off and polish off the rust before re oiling.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-24-08, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
\My opinion - which is just that, an opinion - is that this cover would be great for someone who is storing their bike outside, but using it regularly. I think it would retain mosture in the long term.

If I were OP I would use blue tarps or a make-shift plywood lean-to to potect the bike from rain, but somehow leave one side open or something like that to allow it to "breath" and not say moist all the time.

For example: an A-shaped lean to of two sheets of plywood, raised off the ground w/ concrete blocks. Open at one or both ends, depending on shelter, and where the rain might blow in from. The 4X 8' plywood would extend past the front and back enough to keep from blowing in, but by being open, air circulates through. If you still think it isn't weather proof enough, cover the top 1/2 or so of the open "A". It is raised enough so that the pieces meet to make a peaked roof above the bike (screw together and/or tape seam w/ duct tape) and keep the rain off. (maybe have to turn handlebars sideways) the tires and bottoms of the rims and spokes might get wet, but that won't hurt anything. Total cost about $25, but you have the plywood to use when you get back!

You could do the same thing with a rope and a blue tarp - peaked over the bike, open at ends and off the ground.

I just don't think it would be a good idea to "seal" a bike out in the weather.

I would also not hesitate to cover the entire bike, frame, rims, external parts of shifters, drive train, etc. with a fine mist of WD40. Not for lubrication, but just to keep moisture off everything. Could prevent a lot of superficial rust and corosion. Not that that stuff hurts anything, but why not? When putting it back in service, I'd wash the wd40 off (dish detergent and soft brush) and then lube as necessay with real lube.