User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that have been sick

This winter has seen a spike in the flu, per a news station I was watching while sick and laying on the couch moaning. With winter weather, travel for business and two bouts of being sick I finally got back on the bike yesterday after four full weeks without turning over a pedal.
    The ride actually went failry well. It was a moderate paced 40 mile ride wth a fair amount of climbing. I was quite happy that I was not left on some hillside gasping for air and wondering why I was there. In fact, I was so happy with that ride I decided to go again today, which was a ride with my Sunday group for about 35 miles.
    This is where it all caught up with me. At 14 miles into the ride we normally kick it in for a little over a mile until we reach a park where we gather together for the return trip. I usually lead part of that mile and end the sprint at or near the front. Today was a different story. The sickness and four weeks of inactivity made that sprint painful at best. After a rest at the park I took a solo shortcut ride back to the car to end the day at only 20 miles.
    Have any of the other riders on this forum gone through this, and how long did it take to recover from the flu and inactivity that results from being sick.
    Last edited by BikeArkansas; 02-25-08 at 12:53 AM.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know... I still get tired putting my clothes on in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This "flu" season has been the pits. Ended up taking the wife to the emergency clinic and I was down and out for 15 days. It is comforting to know the CDC is protecting us as the flu shot offered only 14% protection against the stuff.

It takes a while to get back on track after you go thru this, especially the chest congestion type flu which is what we had. My theory is to go slow and let recovery take its course.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I don't know... I still get tired putting my clothes on in the morning.
    The best solution to this problem is just leave the pj's on and rest
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Space Dust
    My Bikes
    Old DF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For nasal and chest congestion type colds use ZICAM at the first hint of infection. I find the oral spray and nasal gel work best.

For the explosive effluent type flu, oral or otherwise, -God help you...

I have found being armed with ZICAM before entering areas with sick people and the liberal use of hand sanitizer with frequent hand washings are the best defense. Proper personal hygiene practices help dramatically. It does not help a lot when someone sneezes in your face tho (SOL).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four weeks off from illness would take me at least two weeks to get back to even feeling moderately normal on the bike. I sure wouldn't think of doing any pace line leading, and sprints would be the last thing from my mind. I'd be thinking that I need to build base miles for two weeks.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The suggestion of two weeks is probably good. I did try a third day in a row tonight. It was a 27 mile night ride at moderate to slower speeds. It felt better, but I am definitely far away from being able to ride a "normal" ride.
    I finally did go to the doctor about 8 days ago. He perscribed some drugs that seems to have helped. One of the perscriptions was for a form of steriods. After a few days I started driving around looking for a batting cage. What gives? (Just kidding for you devout baseball fans.)
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    I finally did go to the doctor about 8 days ago. He perscribed some drugs that seems to have helped. One of the perscriptions was for a form of steriods. After a few days I started driving around looking for a batting cage. What gives? (Just kidding for you devout baseball fans.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a couple of bouts with some sort of krud this winter. They were the kind that left you not feeling good enough to go to work but not feeling bad enough to stay home. I think I stayed off the bike for about two weeks after the first (longest) bout and about a week after the most recent one.

It's been a while since my last case of the krud, but I did not go for the Highway 71 Classic last Sunday. By the way, the weather dudes LIED. They were predicting high 40's, perhaps even low 50's for Saturday and Sunday. It got to 41 for a few minutes on Saturday and to 42 for a few minutes on Sunday. I don't think cruising 71 on Sunday would have been very pleasant, especially coming down the north side of Mt. Gaylor.

My longest ride of the year is 57 miles, and that was early in January when the temps were in the 60's for long enough to get in a ride. At these recent lower temperatures and with the wind tights and all of the other assorted winter gear on, I find it more difficult to ride for any good distance.

Four weeks off the bike is a long time and takes it toll. With that, the cold temps, and the difficult riding, I would take it easy.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got through being sick for over a month. Nothing as acute as the flu, but some sort of nasty bacterial infection that made it's rounds from my throat to my lungs and on into my sinuses over about 6 weeks time. Gotta love that theory of evolution that keeps 'em comin' back for more year after year.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    The best solution to this problem is just leave the pj's on and rest
    Somehow my boss wasn't as happy with that idea

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right in the middle of a bug thats been going around here that takes three weeks to get over, and I was off the bike a week before that due to the crappy crappy crappy crappy crappy crappy weather we have had all winter, I am so not looking forward to getting back in the saddle right now, course then again I cough my lungs out just climbing stairs or shoveling snow this week so that's probably why I don't have my usual zest for htting the saddle. I hope, I hope!

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point I'm hoping I can ride decently again by May!

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to shake my head every time I read this thread. My poor wife has suffered one cold after another since November, with hardly a break in between. I cannot remember the last ride we did where she wasn't coughing, and she's skipped more than half the rides I've done, she's been so sick. I, on the other hand, have not had a single cold since last August.

So, I've been in perfect health this winter, right? Right............. other than minor things like lung cancer and chemo sickness.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    I have to shake my head every time I read this thread. My poor wife has suffered one cold after another since November, with hardly a break in between. I cannot remember the last ride we did where she wasn't coughing, and she's skipped more than half the rides I've done, she's been so sick. I, on the other hand, have not had a single cold since last August.

So, I've been in perfect health this winter, right? Right............. other than minor things like lung cancer and chemo sickness.
    Didn't have Chemo so no sickness----But I had PCa in 2001. Had the op and no problems--- But those colds---I haven't had one since. Sniffle for a morning and possibly a Bit of difficulty breathing on a Few hills- But No Colds at all. Don't think there is an Advantage to your problem- But Coincidence?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I think I only got sick because the weather made me lay off the bike for that week. I rode all last winter without a sniffle, but its been either freezing rain or lake effect snow here and me and my poor old ATB are really showing the strain from this never ending crapola winter.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Didn't have Chemo so no sickness----But I had PCa in 2001. Had the op and no problems--- But those colds---I haven't had one since. Sniffle for a morning and possibly a Bit of difficulty breathing on a Few hills- But No Colds at all. Don't think there is an Advantage to your problem- But Coincidence?
    So do you both think you got "Lancified" by the treatment you underwent, or did it just give you a finer appreciation of your health and perhaps make you change how you deal with the world in a fashion that has helped you be healthier?

I know that being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 2 years ago has made me much more thoughtful and inspired a much greater effort to keep myself fit and healthy. And what you folks have dealt with is magnitudes more intense/scary then any of the things I've experienced.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque1st View Post
    For nasal and chest congestion type colds use ZICAM at the first hint of infection. I find the oral spray and nasal gel work best.

For the explosive effluent type flu, oral or otherwise, -God help you...

I have found being armed with ZICAM before entering areas with sick people and the liberal use of hand sanitizer with frequent hand washings are the best defense. Proper personal hygiene practices help dramatically. It does not help a lot when someone sneezes in your face tho (SOL).
    You might want to do a Google on Zicam and loss of the sense of smell and taste.

Here is one reference:

http://www.helium.com/tm/802883/zica...pular-products

Here is google:

http://www.google.com/search?source=...=Google+Search

"The mechanism responsible for these alterations in smell function is quite clear. Zicam is a zinc containing drug. While zinc is critical for maintenance of normal smell function through its action as a cofactor in carbonic anhydrase VI, given directly into the nostrils at high concentrations, it can initiate direct toxic destruction of the olfactory epithelium with which it comes into contact in its spray form. The associated nasal burning is another manifestation of this local toxicity. In animal studies performed in the past, direct insertion of zinc into the nostrils initiated total loss of smell function as measured by sophisticated computer driven, objective techniques. Examination of the olfactory epithelium in these animals after zinc application showed destruction of this tissue."
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorosz View Post
    So do you both think you got "Lancified" by the treatment you underwent, or did it just give you a finer appreciation of your health and perhaps make you change how you deal with the world in a fashion that has helped you be healthier?

I know that being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 2 years ago has made me much more thoughtful and inspired a much greater effort to keep myself fit and healthy. And what you folks have dealt with is magnitudes more intense/scary then any of the things I've experienced.
    It may take a bit of a "Scare" to make you realise how fragile you are- but two ways of protecting yourself- Don't do anything that may injure you and not take any risks (Such as meeting people that might give you Infections)

Or the other way that many of us have found-Fight the Problem with fitness. It may not help to stop the illness but it does put you in a better state to be able to cope with it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    It may take a bit of a "Scare" to make you realise how fragile you are- but two ways of protecting yourself- Don't do anything that may injure you and not take any risks (Such as meeting people that might give you Infections)

Or the other way that many of us have found-Fight the Problem with fitness. It may not help to stop the illness but it does put you in a better state to be able to cope with it.
    +1K

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorosz View Post

I didn't have my surgery until December 20th, and didn't start chemo until February 15th, so I had plenty of time to catch a cold before that. I did spend more time at home this winter (was off work a month), and didn't push myself a lot. Other than that, I have no explanation.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.