Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skunked on my Bike :eek:

There I was, just riding along . . .

On my single speed, on the MUP, approaching Seal Beach . . . and a skunk ran across the MUP, sprayed me and my bike with skunk-spray () and took off. I didn't run over the skunk, may have just grazed it with my back tire. Anyway . . . horrible bad smell.

Okay, I threw the socks away (no hope), water bottle ditto, the shoes have to stay in the garage (my wife said so), and even though I washed the bike several times, it still smells like skunk .

I've tried soapy water, mineral spirits, chain degreaser . . . no luck. I can't bring myself to throw the bike out ('77 CA MASI) since I've had it so long and really like it.

My wife says the old wives tale about using tomato juice is just that . . . an old wives tale and it doesn't work.

What works? Help!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    My wife says the old wives tale about using tomato juice is just that . . . an old wives tale and it doesn't work.

What works? Help!

Rick / OCRR
    Tomato juice is the cure, itt's a not a wive's tale. Get a couple of large cans and wash away. The smell will come out. By the way been there done that. When I used to run I once get skunked. I tried lots of stuff. A friend finally went adn got me tamoto juice and it worked!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unlike urban legands (like the alligators in the sewer), old wives tales can be trusted because the wives were...........................................................................old. like us.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    Tomato juice is the cure, itt's a not a wive's tale. Get a couple of large cans and wash away. The smell will come out. By the way been there done that. When I used to run I once get skunked. I tried lots of stuff. A friend finally went adn got me tamoto juice and it worked!
    Hi Pam,
    I am so desperate to get rid of that smell that I will try the tomato juice (and not tell Jackie!). I have V8 Juice at home already . . . does that have enough tomato juice to work? Or . . . I have some tomatoes, which I could slice and rub all over the bike! I'll try it!

Also: Skunks should not be allowed on MUPs!

Thanks,
    Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,
    Find some 100% tomato juice. the natural acids in the tomatoes will break down the chemicals in the scent spray. V8 is too dilute to do the trick.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the tomato juice on a small hidden area first, like the bottom of the bottom bracket.
    I had a Chessie retriever years ago that would catch the occasional skunk and get sprayed, and for him I used a diluted white vinegar and water mix that worked fairly well. Just had to keep it out of his eyes. Killed the skunk smell pretty good, not as messy as the tomato juice, and just made him smell like a salad for awhile, and a salad smells way better than a skunk. But, again, test it on a small hidden area on your bike first. Not sure if it will work on the shoes.

The other option is to just let everything sit out in the sun, then hope you never get caught in the rain.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pam, qcpmsame and treebound,

I will try the Vinegar too. Hey, I'm so desperate to get rid of that smell I'll try anything (almost). And if my old bike smells like sadad, that's great! I love salad. I just about live on salad . . . will balsomic vinegar work? I have a huge bottle of that from Costco.

Oh, wait, I have the white vinegar too and it's cheaper. So tomato juice and white vinegar . . . thanks I try them both!

The bike was painted with Imron in '82 and I have no idea how Imron takes to tomato juice or vinegar, but I intend to find out!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ivory Liquid+baking soda+peroxide... though I forget the ratio of ingredients
    It worked for my last dog far too many times. Guess she never learned
    Hang on that MASI, though... in time the smell will fade
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    It worked for my last dog far too many times. Guess she never learned
    Hang on that MASI, though... in time the smell will fade
    Hi SaiKaiTai,

Okay, I have baking soda, but what is peroxide? Is that like hydrogen peroxide or are there lots of different peroxides?

Yes, I want to keep the MASI since I've done lots of epic rides on it, back when I was much younger and the MASI was still Campagnolo Record (friction shifts of course). Now it's my single-speed recovery-ride bike, but it still rides great!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, you'll need to pack your hub bearings and bottom bracket and head set with tomato paste.
    I've only seen one skunk in these suburban parts in the last 20 yrs. and it was a dead skunk in the middle of the road. Not stinkin'.

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Hi SaiKaiTai,

Okay, I have baking soda, but what is peroxide? Is that like hydrogen peroxide or are there lots of different peroxides?

Yes, I want to keep the MASI since I've done lots of epic rides on it, back when I was much younger and the MASI was still Campagnolo Record (friction shifts of course). Now it's my single-speed recovery-ride bike, but it still rides great!

Rick / OCRR
    Oops... sorry Rick! Yes, I did mean hydrogen peroxide
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    Here's the ratio......

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Thanks Beverly,

I'll try that, but I don't think we have any hydrogen peroxide around the house. I can probably buy it at the local pharmacy though.

Rick / OCRR

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad that we don't have any of your Obnoxious animals over here. The worst we can get is taking a rest at the road side and treading in Fox Dung. That is about the longest lasting- foul smell we have over here. If I think that smell lasts- I would hate to encounter a Skunk. It's reputation precedes it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dogs get into skunks regularly. I can state with no mental reservation whatsoever that I know of three things that are guaranteed to fully remove all vestiges of skunk odor. For you, they will be February, March and April.

The best thing I have ever used to get skunk odor off dogs is to bathe them with shaving gel. The hydrogen peroxide and dawn and baking soda makes an impressive foamy display but doesn't work. The tomato juice will turn a white dog pink for a couple of days, but they still smell to high heaven. The shaving gel is not 100% - nothing is - but it works better than anything else I've tried.

It's very important to get every last bit of skunk juice too. Had a dog puke skunk juice in my truck once, and it took a lot of scrubbing to get that out - it seemed like every time it got a little humid, it was back as strong as ever. Finally found one little spot in a door pocket that I'd been missing and once it was cleaned up, the problems were over. So scrub and scrub and scrub everything, it might be in your rims between the tire and rim, around the spokes, in the crevices in pedals, on your chain, anywhere. I would definitely break down the tires and scrub tires, tubes and rims. That stuff is nasty, I don't envy you.
    Last edited by Terrierman; 02-25-08 at 01:27 PM.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Terrierman,

When you were scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing were you using soap or any of the above remedies? Yes, I did scrub the tires, rims, spokes, etc. but will go back over everything and esp. scrub the pedals.

Rick / OCRR

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel for ya...had skunks get under my 'cabin' that I go to for my day off... it took the three month cure or more, but today you'd never know they were there.
    peace

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Floyd,

Maybe I should just lock my bike in the back of the garage (not attached to the house) for three months and then try again. It will be interesting to see if any of the above suggested solutions work. Will try and report back!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick I understand the need to rid yourself of that smell. When I got sprayed I had just started my run through Palos Verdes. I was 2 miles in and had 8 to go. The smell was hideous and I would stop by every fruit and citrus tree hoping and praying something like lemon juice would work. It didn't. I guess I should have stopped my run and gone home but I was stubborn. Afterwards, I got into my car and the smell was claustrophobic. The skunks (yes 2 - little baby guys - guess I scared them) sprayed my shoes and ankles. When it happened I felt something wety and hot and bent down to touch the area so also got it on my fingers. The socks were wreck but I cleaned my shoes. They cost too much money to toss away. I used 100% tomato juice. It didn't stain or ruin my shoes, and easily washed out (but I used alot of water to rinse).

If you use the other methods let me know how they work. Just wonder if the vinegar or peroxide wouldn't damage the bike's paint? BTW - you should always keep hydrogen peroxide on hand especially in this day and age of mersa bacterias etc to clean out cuts and wounds. It's also good to rinse out your mouth when you are sick. It has lots of good medical uses.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About ten years ago, my Great Dane Schuler got into a tussle with a skunk and came in stinking and bloody. Without thinking my (old!) wife started to bath him with tomato juice, then remembered she had a bad cut on her hand that was now covered with the skunk's blood. At the time East Tennessee was having a bad epidemic of rabid skunks and the more she thought about it the more worried she became. After checking with the state health department we found out that rabies germs cannot live in the air and there have been no reported cases of rabies transmitted without an actual bite!! My wife didn't have to take the painful and expensive shots but I did have to keep her penned up for two weeks. P.S. The tomato juice and a bath made Schuler smell just like new!!
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input Pam and RockyTop,

I was almost exactly 1/2 way through my ride from home to Seal Beach and back. I didn't realize what happened at first, so when I turned around and started to ride back, I may have ridden though some of the spray that (could have been) still hung in the air.

This was on the San Gabe' MUP between PCH and where the path stops in Seal Beach. What a skunk was doing there, I have no idea.

It was dusky, so at first I thought it was a furry rat or maybe a small dog. But that smell is unique (as far as I know), so it quickly dawned on me what had happened.

Okay, so I'm getting "Yes and No" for tomato juice but it's cheap enough that it's worth a try. I will also try the vinegar since I already have that at home. The hydrogen peroxide is next, since I don't think we have any around the house. I will scrub my bike and my shoes and report back!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Skunks are one of the reasons that I don't use lights and ride in the woods at night during the summer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right Maxx,

Yet this wasn't in the woods (very residential area), it wasn't in the summer (Feb. 19th), and I hadn't turned my lights on yet (though it was about time).

So you just never know . . .

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I heard once that lemon juice worked as well as anything, and less likely to stain than tomato juice. The peroxide sounds better, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mating season for skunks right now which is why you see them out a lot more than other times of the year. They are dead on the road here now in very satisfying numbers.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast