Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+'rs - How Many Auto Accidents in Lifetime

ANSWER TWICE AS APPROPRIATE

50+'rs - How Many Auto Accidents in Lifetime

(Of course, some of you have had about 20 more years to have accidents than others!)

We have had several posts about auto accidents of kids.

I am curious -

How many significant auto accidents have you had over your lifetime of driving?

How many significant auto accidents have you had where it was your fault?

Don't worry, the results are confidentail.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-25-08 at 08:44 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said 1-2 that were my fault, although I really don't remember, and I'm not sure how significant they were. They happened before I was 18, so that was a long time ago. But I remember once where there had to be body work done, and I remember a guy opening a door in front of me and me taking it off. I didn't think that was my fault at the time, but looking back I think it was.

So, can't remember, but I'd say I had enough minor mishaps (hey! Punny!) to add up to 2 major mishaps.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1 accident only. A 250lb deer in the windshield at 60mph. The people who saw it said he tried to jump over the cars in the opposit lane and came down on me from above. I thought we had been hit by a crashing airplane.

All my other accidents were on the race track and don't count for this poll.

OOps, forgot one, not sure if its an accident. Hit from behind at a red light. My hitch rack gutted the hitting car but it never made contact with my car. Fortunately no bike on the rack at the time.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 02-25-08 at 06:35 PM.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an crash when I was 17 that was my fault. It banged up the cars but everyone inside was safe, thank God. Not so much as a fender bender since (knock wood).
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19 - turned a fire truck I was driving over in the middle of a fire - official cause "excessive smoke"

42 - VW creamed from behind by a lady who failed to stop - I was stopped in a freeway jam. Totaled. I asked her why and she said, "I just forgot to stop." She got ticket.

60 or so - A man in a near diabetic coma turned in front of me with no warning and no time to stop. I flipped his truck and totaled mine. He got ticket.

67 - While stopped at traffic light, got creamed by young girl (17) who failed to stop. Totaled, she got ticket.

And one other I can't remember right now.

I've only had two tickets in 56 years of driving - both minor. One when I was 17, and one when I was 40. I started driving when I was 12.

Wife had her car totaled twice by being hit from rear at red lights.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-25-08 at 06:25 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    33 years driving company vehicles - 2 accidents that were not my fault (no injuries).

51 years driving personal vehicles - 0 accidents. (I started driving illegally at age 14 ).
    Last edited by Louis; 02-25-08 at 06:26 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1978 - Rear-ended a car that slowed abruptly to turn left from the 2-lane highway we were on. Normally, a rear-ender is always at fault but I pointed out to the police officer that her tail and brake lights were completely covered by snow, even though it had not snowed for about a week.
    2004 - I was southbound and hit a northbound lady who turned across my path into a gas station. While waiting for the police, she told me she had been in a big hurry to get to the bathroom.
    Body work required both times but no injuries or citations or insurance problems. (for me)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one accident that was my fault and it was a spectacular one. The car was totaled and I wiped out most of a city park doing it No injuries except a bruise on my ankle.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really should have defined "significant". How insignificant can an accident be and still be called significant?

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the choices work for me.

I was a passenger in a serious crash when I was 25. Should have killed me but as it turns out, it only trashed my left hip.

The incident? Get this....we hit 3 cows laying in the road at night while we were traveling about 70 mph.

Dodge van, motor between the seats, nothing but windshield and metal up front, no seat belts on, numerous flips and we both lived to see another day. Go figure.

Oh, this was on open range. The cattle had the right to be there. The driver had to pay for them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rearended a car once driven by an older woman with an older man in the passenger seat. I got the ticket and accident report and when I called the insurance company, I noticed that the report said the man was driving. I reported the error. I later got sued becuase the man claimed a whiplash, and they alleged under oath that he was driving, not her. I figured she must have had a suspended license or something, so they lied to the police to cover it up. Turned out they were Iranian, and it was demeaning for the husband to be driven by the wife. They never acknowledged the lie.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun poll. I am happy to report my only nighttime cow incident did not result in a crash and I survived being hit from behind at high speed while sitting at rest on a motorcycle waiting to make a left turn. The young DUI driver left the scene of the crime but, alas, left her front plate behind. Bummer.

The accident where I was at fault was elegant in its simplicity. Emerging from an urban alleyway I made a full and complete stop, looked carefully in both directions, using extra care because it was raining, and then pulled out RIGHT in front of a nice lady in her new car. I was a teen at the time and she was such a nice lady that she told both my parents and the traffic court judge that she had seen me stop fully. Even though I had date the judge's daughter, I was allowed to exit with record, dignity and wallet intact.

This was an excellent lesson for both driving and riding. As a driver, I am alert for that invisible car (or truck or bus or fire truck) and as a rider consider myself totally invisible to all.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge View Post
    You really should have defined "significant". How insignificant can an accident be and still be called significant?
    And deny you the pleasure of defining it yourself?

I think I am being baited here.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been rear-ended twice, both times on wide open roads in good weather conditions. One time we were stopped at a stop light, the other time at a 4-way stop, where we were the 2nd vehicle from the stop sign.

In one a driver talking on a cell phone while driving an SUV rammed us. We were sitting right under a red stop light, with my brake lights on, at a full stop. And had been stopped for a good 6-8 seconds before they hit us. Totaled our van.

The other time, a guy in his 30s out for the first ride on his new motorcycle rammed us - before he had even bothered to get insurance on his already existing car insurance plan. He was seriously injured. We had slowed approaching the four-way stop, coming to a full stop for a few seconds, when he hit us almost like we weren't even there. Just drove right into us, no tire skid marks from his bike until he got to within about 10 yards of us. I guess he thought he had wonder brakes, that could instantly stop him.

In both cases, none of us were injured in even the slightest way.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No accidents, ever. Knock wood.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I answered 0, with the following caveats:
    1) During my high school years, I was a passenger in a collision which resulted in minor-to-moderate injuries to the driver of the other vehicle. My debating partner had lost his right eye at age 6, and the other car, which had the right-of-way, approached from the right as he was launching from a two-way stop sign.
    2) In 1976 I was left-crossed whilst cycling down a hill, resulting in a concussion, a double fracture of the left clavicle, a permanent "dueling scar" across my left cheekbone, and two bent Reynolds 531 tubes in my first 1960 Capo.
    3) In 1979 our Ford Pinto station wagon was struck from behind while my wife was driving (not her fault). No significant personal injuries, but minor-to-moderate damage to both vehicles. This was NOT a close call to the infamous Pinto flameout, because the wagon had almost a foot more rear crush space than the sedan.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    No accidents, ever. Knock wood.
    Is this akin to declaring that one has never had a flat?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    33 years driving company vehicles - 2 accidents that were not my fault (no injuries).

51 years driving personal vehicles - 0 accidents. (I started driving illegally at age 14 ).
    Shame on you

I started driving farm equipment when I was 13. Most of it was tractors but occasionally they let me drive the Jeep.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Is this akin to declaring that one has never had a flat?
    Yes.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is, since I started wrecking my MTB, I stopped having accidents with my car.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Only one accident that was my fault and it was a spectacular one. The car was totaled and I wiped out most of a city park doing it No injuries except a bruise on my ankle.
    Now there's got to be a story behind this one. C'mon Bev. Spill the beans!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    which one?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been in a significant accident. And I hope I never am!
    WE DID IT! Our little family of four cycled 17,300 miles from Alaska to Argentina! The trip of a lifetime for sure. www.familyonbikes.org

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the "my fault" accidents in my '66 Mustang Hardtop (my first car).

1. Backed into my father's Chevy in the driveway (didn't know he'd come home, didn't look first!).
    2. Ran off the road in the rain, simply cornering too fast for conditions (bias ply tires too . . . )
    3. Ran off the road on an ice-slick interstate highway, down the ditch, up under (and almost hitting the roof) an overpass, down the embankment (*** engine, I think we can make it . . . ) up the ditch and back onto the shoulder. Lost a wheel-cover and bent the end of the front bumper.

In the not-my-fault column, got hit in the front fender of my '81 Corolla by August Busch's (yes the beer family) Grand-daughter Katy, when I lived in St.Louis. She is a lawyer. First thing she said was that it was her fault. Second thing "Are you injured?" No, I wasn't and her insurance paid to fix my Corolla.

Out here in CA a young Mexican (maybe legal, maybe not) hit me from behind, but my receiver bike rack took all the punishment, car wasn't damaged. He had no money, no insurance. I bought a new bike rack.

Oh, and when I had the MG I spun out a few times (cornering too fast) but didn't hit anything, so that doesn't count, right? The Miata sticks very well; never spun it!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not my fault, 1967: I was entering an intersection on a green light when a girl in the oncoming lane ran her red light & turned left in front of me...almost. No serious injury, totaled my car. Police officer witnessed the crash & wrote her a citation.

My fault, 2001: Driving into late afternoon sun glare, thought I had a green light & entered an intersection against a red light. City transit bus had the green, turned left into a head on collision with me. No serious injury, totaled my car. Police decided not to cite me.
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one accident, trying to avoid a deer on a winding mountain road in Colorado. Ran my '60 Willys Universal Jeep into a house-sized boulder. Totaled the jeep but I stumbled away, nothing broken but my glasses. I was badly bruised and sore for days. Scared the beejeebus out of me, and I became hyper-aware of my good fortune.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast