Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Pics from today's ride--because I can (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/391683-pics-todays-ride-because-i-can.html)

Mojo Slim 02-25-08 09:25 PM

Pics from today's ride--because I can

I haven't been able to ride much lately. A combination of weather and "leg issues" (details in a later post, a few days from now). But I did get out for a solo 40.38 ride today. Started out with a bit of a headwind for the uphillish part, ended with mostly a tailwind for the downhill/flatish part. I saw almost no traffic. There was a coke in the middle at the only business in a small town, where the Pakistani owner (who drives a Mercedes) calls me "sir" and asks my mileage (it's always about 20 when I get there).

Camp Far West Lake is near Lincoln, CA. It's not an overly beautiful lake, but it has filled up in the last two months, due to lots of rain.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...b08Horsesr.jpg

This inlet was not there a month ago.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...CFWLFeb08r.jpg

When the clanger started clanging to signal the approach of this train, it scared me out of my wits. OK, I was daydreaming and listening to some blues tune on my iPod. I'm not a train buff, but it was fun to wait for this train and wave to the engineer.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8.../CIMG1728r.jpg

I'll do it again tomorrow, but travel plans will keep me off the road for a few days. Being on my bike is a great way to spend my time.

Texasroadie 02-25-08 09:37 PM

Beautiful pics - thanks for sharing!! Looks like a beautiful lake to me. The one I'm on here in TX is filling up again due to the quantity of rain we've been receiving. We're also in the forest so I especially loved the open spaces in your shots.

doctor j 02-25-08 09:45 PM

Nice report and nice pix, Mojo.

I notice a little green in the grass. About the only thing green in northwest AR at the moment is the pine trees. Grass, trees, bushes etc. on strike for better working conditions. I don't blame them.

Yen 02-25-08 09:49 PM

Very nice photos. I wish we had a 40+ ride like that around here with almost no traffic.

tandemedge 02-25-08 09:50 PM

Great photos! Looks like a good place to ride. We can send along some snow if the rain is a problem ...lol

taxi777 02-25-08 10:11 PM

I think the pict with the horses screams to be a painting, excellent!

taxi777 02-25-08 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by taxi777 (Post 6231836)
I think the pict with the horses screams to be a painting, excellent!

BTW my wife is a painter, could she have permission from you to paint that photo?
Pete in SF,CA.

Mojo Slim 02-25-08 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by taxi777 (Post 6231864)
BTW my wife is a painter, could she have permission from you to paint that photo?
Pete in SF,CA.

Absolutely. I'd love to see it. In fact, I played around with my photo software to make it look like a painting, but it looked better natural. I did absolutely nothing to it.

AND, I see you are doing ALC. This will be my fourth year. #1516. I'm going to go now and check out your webpage.

RockyMtnMerlin 02-25-08 11:41 PM

Okay - you are not really a cyclist. If so, you would have tried to beat the train to the crossing (weak Paris Roubaix joke). Great pics though. Liked the UP locomotive. My grandfather worked for them from age 13 to age 65!

Mojo Slim 02-26-08 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin (Post 6232465)
Okay - you are not really a cyclist. If so, you would have tried to beat the train to the crossing (weak Paris Roubaix joke). Great pics though. Liked the UP locomotive. My grandfather worked for them from age 13 to age 65!

I actually thought about trying to beat it. Then visions of my front wheel getting stuck in the tracks flashed though my mind, thank goodness.

CA2NC 02-26-08 09:33 AM

O.M.G. . . Camp Far West, I've been there . . .

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim

Camp Far West Lake is near Lincoln, CA. It's not an overly beautiful lake, but it has filled up in the last two months, due to lots of rain. . .'

Nice to see pics of Camp Far West Lake, worked at/on Beale Air Force Base (construction)

When our family first moved to CA from MT we lived near Meridian (1949) then moved to near Chico (1960). Then after I married, lived in Chico and Sacramento (1985) and now Charlotte, NC (2007)--

jppe 02-26-08 09:41 AM

Very nice Mojo!!!

Hermes 02-26-08 10:27 AM

Nice pics. It is great to have our weather back after the rain last week and through the weekend.

wrafl 02-26-08 10:45 AM

Thank you for sharing the nice pics. I wish we could have weather like that in our part of the country. Just got done clearing the driveway of ice and snow. And this winter is ways to go before we see an end.

Terrierman 02-26-08 03:45 PM

Nice. Thanks.

Litespeed 02-26-08 04:14 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures! It's always nice to see where other people get to ride and be envious.

p8rider 02-26-08 04:55 PM

Very Nice pics!
Looks like a beautiful area. Love the train also

specbill 02-26-08 07:40 PM

Great Photo's.!!
We love the area you live in for riding. ' just drove 780 miles roundtrip a couple of weeks ago to do the Rice Valley Tandem rally with the Chico Velo Cycling group. We rode around the Buttes just a bit north of you and were blown away with the lightly traveled, great country roads just made for cylcling. It was our first time riding that area but we are already planning another trip back there soon.
FWIW, Chico Velo did a great job with the event and seems like a great riding group with some other super events this year.
Bill J.

CA2NC 02-27-08 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by specbill (Post 6237944)

'. . . We rode around the Buttes just a bit north of you and were blown away with the lightly traveled, great country roads just made for cylcling. It was our first time riding that area but we are already planning another trip back there soon.

I know the Buttes well, went to Sutter Hi, grew up in the Sutter Basin south of Meridian and the Sacramento River --

Red Rider 02-27-08 02:07 AM

I like the pics a lot -- agree with whomever wants to paint that first one, with the horses -- it already looks like a painting.

Thanks for posting such pretty pictures. I was frustrated to be on the trainer over the weekend. Hoping to get out Wed. afternoon.

Beverly 02-27-08 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Litespeed (Post 6236713)
Thanks for sharing the pictures! It's always nice to see where other people get to ride and be envious.

+1

I'm really jealous of the nice weather. We had that white fluffy stufff again last night:mad:

WillisB 02-27-08 07:41 AM

Sweet! We have snow. School is delayed 2 hours.