Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone guess this venue???

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the Major Taylor Velodrome in Indianapolis.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Track in California?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The secret would be found in the "Lowes" painted on the wall.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlington?
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess there are few Nascar Fans here.

Charolette, Home of the All Star.....the 600.....and the summer series on that little oval in the trioval grass.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 02-26-08 at 09:17 AM.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why are there no bikes on the track there in beautiful Charlotte?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking jppe, which means North Carolina, which means Charlotte is my guess too.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NASCAR fans? Did he say NASCAR fans??? No man, Formula One... the only motor racing that matters
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boogity, Boogity, Boogity

All racing is fun, I prefer NASCAR on short tracks like Bristol but I watch Nextel once in a while on Sundays, not a rabid fan. I enjoy open wheel racing as well, it is just harder to find on TV and almost never in HD.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've raced on that track.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tell who the NASCAR fans are! Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte is correct!!

We hope to add a 40k Time Trial at some of the TT events at the Speedway this year. We were able to get a small window of time when there weren't any teams testing or racing schools operating out on the track. We walked the track to make sure we could safely put more people on the track and manage two distances at the same time. We needed to confirm that the track was wide enough below the banking to accomodate more riders.

I even took my TT bike and rode several laps to get the exact distances for each lap so we would know how many laps a 40k needed to be. I also rode the proposed lanes we would use for the 40k to make sure what banking there is at the base of the turns would not be an issue.

Before we left I wondered if anyone had ever used the infield to hit a golf ball. The frontstretch would make a pretty good par 4!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I heard rumor of a 40k this year. All I could think about was the pain involved.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    NASCAR fans? Did he say NASCAR fans??? No man, Formula One... the only motor racing that matters
    I agree SaiKai Tai,

We had a great season in F1 in 2007, and while I would rather Lewis had taken it (not a big Kimi fan), it was a well fought series all season long. Should be even better in 2008 with Fernando back at Renault .

http://www.formula1.com/

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 02-26-08 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You living in North Carolina was the best clue. I've seen the speedway when taking off from Charlotte on the way from Arkansas to New Jersey.

Despite the golf clubs, I knew it couldn't be the course for the Palm Springs Grand Prix.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking out the Pics and that Fairway need a bit of attention.

Not a Nascar Fan as I get dizzy on the fumes- but I now watch Motor bikes for track excitement. Got fed up with the single line procession of F 1 cars. If you like to watch exciting racing- Start watching the top boys in Moto GP.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey jppe, I once hit a wicked slice off third tee the when I was playing Larkhaven and ended just where you were. Someone tried to claim it was out-of-bounds.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=stapfam;6236129]Checking out the Pics and that Fairway need a bit of attention.QUOTE]

The fairway will look much, much improved in late May. It will even be painted up nice a pretty.......

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Hey jppe, I once hit a wicked slice off third tee the when I was playing Larkhaven and ended just where you were. Someone tried to claim it was out-of-bounds.
    That was one big hook!! I used to play at Larkhaven in the early 90's as it was one of the few public courses on the north side of town. I probably haven't been back in at least 10 years.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post

If I recall correctly, the last time there was an open wheel race at LMS, parts and wheels came off the cars into the stands and critically injured a number of people. Kinda doubt they will be invited back anytime soon.....

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    You can tell who the NASCAR fans are! Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte is correct!!

We hope to add a 40k Time Trial at some of the TT events at the Speedway this year. We were able to get a small window of time when there weren't any teams testing or racing schools operating out on the track. We walked the track to make sure we could safely put more people on the track and manage two distances at the same time. We needed to confirm that the track was wide enough below the banking to accomodate more riders.

I even took my TT bike and rode several laps to get the exact distances for each lap so we would know how many laps a 40k needed to be. I also rode the proposed lanes we would use for the 40k to make sure what banking there is at the base of the turns would not be an issue.

Before we left I wondered if anyone had ever used the infield to hit a golf ball. The frontstretch would make a pretty good par 4!!!
    You guys need a 40K TT challenge and do not forget to include a 3.5+ mile 8 - 10% grade hill climb. You need a different venue for that. This year, one of our non-licensed practice TT events will be held at a velodrome. We get to ride our road bikes on the track.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got in this late because I can't see pictures from work, but once I saw it I knew it was Charlotte. I,ve only been there once. Back when I was the sports editor of my college newspaper, I got a dozen complimentary weekend passes to the SCCA finals at Charlotte. None of the other people on the paper's staff wanted to go, so I took a bunch of my hippie friends and we had a grand ol' time.
    I won a prize for the Gonzo style article I wrote about the weekend. I wish I had kept a copy. All I remember about it was my conclusion that red cars are faster and that big American cars were at a big disadvantage in the infield hairpin turns. Oh, and also, Formula V cars aren't fast enough for the high banked turns at a Nascar speedway.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has changed since I was there but I recognized it from recent TV coverage. I was sitting about ten rows from the bottom, between turn four and the finish line at the World 600 on May 24, 1964. There was a horrendous crash on lap 7 and the whole backstretch was on fire. Driver Fireball Roberts was taken to the hospital with terrible burns and no one there had much hope that he would survive. One of the saddest days in NASCAR history.