Thread: n-1

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

n-1

I sold off a bike last week. It was a Terry porportional road bike with a 24" front wheel and a 700c rear wheel. I didn't get very much money for it but it wasn't getting used very much either. Here's the interesting part. My wife was unhappy that I sold it.

Obviously I need to regain the balance before the universe implodes and, coincidentally, make my wife happy again. What to buy, what to buy? I'm willing to consider most anything but bonus points will be awarded for a bike that needs a lot of mechanical updateing.

1. Guest bike for my grand daughters to ride. This would be the obvious replacement for the Terry. I have doubts about how much they want to ride with us or how often it would get used.
    2. Super lightweight carbon road bike or maybe a cool titanium framed road bike. A potential problem with either is it might make my Klein feel even worse. It doesn't get ridden enough as it is.
    3. Custom frame road bike. The problem is that I have no idea how I'd want it to be different from the bikes that I have today.
    4. I hesitate even to mention the "R" word. Recumbent. I'll be up near Stevens Point this summer without my wife. Stevens Point is home to the Hostel Shop, a MAJOR recumbent dealer.
    5. Spray paint stuff. Not a new bike but I could see myself giving some of my existing bikes a more professional repaint job.
    6. Other. I'll also award points for creativity and originality.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, get all 6 options you mentioned.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Yes, get all 6 options you mentioned.
    Highly logical.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did your wife care that the Terry was sold?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell another and test the marriage. Thus spoke Zarathustra.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Why did your wife care that the Terry was sold?
    She thought that we should save it for one of our grand daughters. I saw an 8 year old bike that was kind of a weird design and that didn't really fit anybody in our family. It was also ageing. The colors weren't quite modern - stuff like that.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Sell another and test the marriage. Thus spoke Zarathustra.
    The next bike sale really would test our marriage. The other two bikes that never get ridden are my Porsche mountain bike and my wife's Specialized Hybrid. I'm not going there.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Highly logical.
    And thoughtful. If selling one bike makes her unhappy, buying six will make her ecstatic. At least that's the way it works in my universe.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I sold off a bike last week. It was a Terry porportional road bike with a 24" front wheel and a 700c rear wheel. I didn't get very much money for it but it wasn't getting used very much either. Here's the interesting part. My wife was unhappy that I sold it.

Obviously I need to regain the balance before the universe implodes and, coincidentally, make my wife happy again. What to buy, what to buy? I'm willing to consider most anything but bonus points will be awarded for a bike that needs a lot of mechanical updateing.

Was it her bike?

You could probably make her happy by asking her what type of bike to buy.....then buy it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry bikes are HARD to find used. They are in high demand. There's a whole used bike thread on the terry bike with people looking for them.

Once women own them, they don't sell them. Now that other brands are making woman-specific bikes, though, maybe they're getting less valuable. I don't know of any others with the different wheel sizes, though.

I bought one from CL for $50, one of the first models, and I answered the ad within minutes of it being put up. By the time I got there, she had had 6 calls. Unfortunately, I hated the bike because I have the opposite of a normal woman's dimensions. My LBS said, "You are not a candidate for that bike".

So I sold it for $225, which was under what I knew it was worth, but I felt guilty asking more. Went to my class at the bike coop that night and they were selling the same bike, tuned up, for $400 and the girl was thrilled-- over a 15 year old bike.

So, I can kinda see your wife asking, "Why THAT one???"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously you need a full suspension mountain bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been monitoring bikes for sale on CL in both Madison and Milwaukee for over 15 months and have never seen a Terry bike listed.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to log in to write a more helpful post.

Tell your wife about the woman you sold it to and how much she loved it and needed it. For many women, a Terry is the difference between constant discomfort and loving the ride. If she knows what a good home it found, it will go a long way to mollifying her.

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Option #4 - The "R" word. And as long as you're becoming an apostate, go all out and make it a trike! Then you'll have all of your bikes not being ridden...
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

1. Guest bike for my grand daughters to ride. This would be the obvious replacement for the Terry. I have doubts about how much they want to ride with us or how often it would get used.
    2. Super lightweight carbon road bike or maybe a cool titanium framed road bike. A potential problem with either is it might make my Klein feel even worse. It doesn't get ridden enough as it is.
    3. Custom frame road bike. The problem is that I have no idea how I'd want it to be different from the bikes that I have today.
    4. I hesitate even to mention the "R" word. Recumbent. I'll be up near Stevens Point this summer without my wife. Stevens Point is home to the Hostel Shop, a MAJOR recumbent dealer.
    5. Spray paint stuff. Not a new bike but I could see myself giving some of my existing bikes a more professional repaint job.
    6. Other. I'll also award points for creativity and originality.
    How about a foldie that you and your grand daughters can ride?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    How about a foldie that you and your grand daughters can ride?
    Kind of like rdmjr's suggestion. The nice thing about a folding bike is that it would take up less storage room while it's not being ridden.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recumbent........
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason my wife would be upset about one less bike in the house is.....

she doesn't get the money!

BTW - my short list

1) bent
    2) folder (though I have had a couple)
    3) Bionx electric assist road bike
    4) cross
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page