rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Letting my first road bike go

As I've mentioned once or twice before, I still have my first road bike ( a Nishiki sport circa 1982), although I stopped riding it some 13-15 years ago, and didn't care for it properly in the interval. I took it into a LBS a few weeks ago for an estimate on putting it into good order--around $250--they said the frame & fork "are perfect" but most all the components are toast due to rust & age. I really had pretty much decided not to fix it, as I could put that money toward a new second bike that I would be more likely to ride. Well, when I got home there was a message from one of the bike shop mechanics--he wants to buy it to convert to a fixed gear.

I have surprised myself at the emotions I am feeling at the thought of letting it go --I will let him have it but still--
    It was a gift from my (future then ex) husband, who got me interested in biking & who has since passed away.
    I rode it down the California coast,went bike camping with it, toured all around San Diego county, and on the first bike path rides with my young daughter.
    It is (was) a good machine, even if I didn't much like the shifters on the stem.

Lots of memories attached to it, & I suppose in a way it represents my younger self.

Today I even (briefly) considered attempting to refurbish it myself. Read all about using molasses to remove rust. But realistically, I have a new bike, and no tools, and much more than likely would not much use the Nishiki at all. So it is time to say goodbye, hope that it gets treated with a little respect, and feel just a little sad as I pass it on.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learning to say goodbye can be an art form. It seems like you've got it right...
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes a lot of sense to send it somewhere where it can continue to be used. But if you can do it, then you have a leg up on me. I doubt that I could.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'd find it hard, too. I still have my first bike.

You could* turn it into a fixie... that would be cheaper, and fun!

(oops. I'm enabling, aren't I?)

When I've had to get rid of very dear things that were damaged beyond repair, I've taken a photo of it. I mean, in all likelihood, all you'd do with the original is look at it, right? Then find it a good home, and you won't miss it. Once it's gone, it will probably actually be a relief, because there's no more waffling about it.

EDIT: HEY WAIT! Is it a Mixte????

My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rae View Post
    As I've mentioned once or twice before, I still have my first road bike ( a Nishiki sport circa 1982), although I stopped riding it some 13-15 years ago, and didn't care for it properly in the interval. I took it into a LBS a few weeks ago for an estimate on putting it into good order--around $250--they said the frame & fork "are perfect" but most all the components are toast due to rust & age. I really had pretty much decided not to fix it, as I could put that money toward a new second bike that I would be more likely to ride. Well, when I got home there was a message from one of the bike shop mechanics--he wants to buy it to convert to a fixed gear.

I have surprised myself at the emotions I am feeling at the thought of letting it go --I will let him have it but still--
    It was a gift from my (future then ex) husband, who got me interested in biking & who has since passed away.
    I rode it down the California coast,went bike camping with it, toured all around San Diego county, and on the first bike path rides with my young daughter.
    It is (was) a good machine, even if I didn't much like the shifters on the stem.

Lots of memories attached to it, & I suppose in a way it represents my younger self.

Today I even (briefly) considered attempting to refurbish it myself. Read all about using molasses to remove rust. But realistically, I have a new bike, and no tools, and much more than likely would not much use the Nishiki at all. So it is time to say goodbye, hope that it gets treated with a little respect, and feel just a little sad as I pass it on.
    Does your area have a "green bike" program? That's where a group of people take donated bikes (in a small town near me), fix them up, paint them green, and then put them out on the street to be used by anybody who needs a bike, for as long as they want.

At times, the program people gather up the ones that are in need of repairs, work on them again and then put them back out again.

I donated a mid 80's Coast-to-Coast 10 speed to the local program in 2006. The LBS takes in old bikes and they get donated also.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my first "real" road bike. I got a used Gitane "tour de france" in 1978. I had it painted, added braze ons. It has a "new" fork and headset, bars and stem And brakes. and pedals. And wheels. All in 79-84 or so.

I just can't let it go. Maybe I can do single speed. I think of the money I spent I didn't have, the sweat, the effort. And I'm sure I couldn't seel it for more than $100.

I feel your pain.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwww...

I don't remember selling my 1st road bike, an orange K-Mart 10-speed. That bike got me all over south Jersey and the western slope of the CO rockies, back in the day when a triple wasn't an option.

I have many fond memories, and the emotions that the bike and the rides I took on it evoked. Platform pedals and Dr. Schol's, and no helmet. Oy, feckless youth!

I hope you overcome your sadness and find some happiness in the transaction. Somebody is going to be very happy.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a suggestion, take the money you make by selling it & add new stuff to your bike you ride now. Then you still have part of the bike with you now & it isn't something that is just setting in the garage, you are actually using the profit from that old bike to benefit your riding that you are doing now.

We had our home phone number for 10 years & me & the wife separated for a while so I got rid of it, didn't need it & that was a lot harder for me to do then I ever thought it would be, it even brought a tear to my eye so I understand what you are going thru when you are getting rid of something that has some meaning to you.

2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to let things with memories go. Maybe the new owner will provide some pictures after it's restored.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always amazed at how attached I, and apparently others, can be to important possessions. The bike that was hard for me to let go was a 1970s era Schwinn Voyager with a full chrome frame. That bike liberated me in more ways than one. I was working at a Schwinn dealer and bought it used from a customer who was upgrading to a Paramount. It was in really bad condition, and I had to rebuild it from the gound up. It was with that bike that I made most of my newbie mechanic's mistakes, and learned things that stay with me today. It was with that bike that I got my older brother and the my best man at my wedding involved in cycling. It was with that bike that I learned anything is possible.

I think you are doing the right thing. You are giving your beloved bike a new chance at life.... a chance to feel the tramac under the wheels once again. Be sad, and then be glad that it has new life.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a list of coincidences.

My brother and sister-in-law just moved to Ohio.

When I sold my LeTour IV, because I was transfering away from Camp Pendleton, it was to a guy from Ohio.

Now I am buying a different bike (same model, etc, different color) from a BF member in Ohio. I am searching to replace my first roadie...

And I am posting this in response to a posting by a person in Ohio.

I have never been to Ohio, but I should be there in the next month or two.

If you are having trouble parting with the bike, then there are people in the C&V forum that could help you figure things out. I am sure I must have a suitable set of wheels and derailleurs... probably anything else you would need too. Now to make your decision harder... Want some free parts?

But, if you decide to part with the bike, just remember the good times in the saddle, and cherish the memories... Even though we do like physical items as reminders, it is always the memories that make the physical item important to us, not the other way around.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave my first (adult) road bike to my nephew and he rode it for transportation until it got stolen, (or he pawned it for booze money, not sure). I gave the next one to a guy who worked with me and wanted to ride for fitness. Sold the bike I rode across the country for the token payment of $20 to a friend who wanted to use it on the trainer, after I took all the parts I wanted off of it. Sold another for $500 to a friend who rode it for 11 years. Another friend has one of my bikes and I haven't decided if I will ask for it back, or not.
    I have a couple others I could get rid of, they are just things and I would rather see someone enjoying them than have them rot in storage.
    I had a truck for 19 years and a lot of memories were tied to it, but I sold it, and I don't regret that. Just things.
    (edit) I'm from Ohio, too.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    I have never been to Ohio, but I should be there in the next month or two.
    We should have decent riding weather by that time What part of Ohio will you be visiting?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I took it into a LBS a few weeks ago for an estimate on putting it into good order--around $250--they said the frame & fork "are perfect" but most all the components are toast due to rust & age. ...
    Old bicycles are much like old cars -- they are great if only if you do most of your own work, as I do, or have unlimited funds, as I don't. Because I enjoy doing all of my own work, including scrounging parts on eBay and at yard sales, I plan to continue riding beautiful old classic bicycles.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... So it is time to say goodbye, hope that it gets treated with a little respect, and feel just a little sad as I pass it on.
    The nostalgia factor can be powerful. One reason I am so enamored with Capos is that I commuted on one during my grad school years.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a bike, it's old, it's rusty, you don't ride it any more. No further tears need be shed. Go buy a new bicycle and be happy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with the Classics and Vintage forum on the best way to find it a new home.

Here's my early '70s American Eagle/Nishiki. It was my main commuter for years. It's been stolen, run over and done thousands of miles for me. I can never replace such memories.

In its retirement, it's gotten a Brooks Saddle, some Bar-Con shifters(not yet installed) and new wheels and rubber. Yes, dollar for dollar I might get more from a new bike, but this is the third rebuild of the bike. And it's a restomod version of a treasured old friend.

"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a similar moment with my old college bike, bought new in 1975 when my first one got stolen. The bike had been sitting idle since 1978, in some less than desirable storage conditions. Anyway, I decided to rebuild it, spent less than $35 doing it. A couple of keys: 1) I had a $10 donor bike, similar model and vintage, that provided some parts that were in poor shape and 2) I did the work myself. Doing the work is really no big deal, and with the savings you can buy the few key tools you will need. And who doesn't need a few good bike tools anyway?
    Attached Images Attached Images

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    It's a bike, it's old, it's rusty, you don't ride it any more. No further tears need be shed. Go buy a new bicycle and be happy.
    This is the attitude you have to have in order to get rid of things.

Think of it as being some iron ore that was shaped into tubes and made into a bicycle. It has no feelings, no life, and it never knew you existed. It might as well be the metal can holding corn in your pantry.

I'm not good at doing this, but can sometimes get close to this attitude when I have to pare down my holdings from time to time.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more stuff you have, the more *it* has you.

I suggest giving the bike away to a college student or somebody else who will ride it. Put it on Craig's List or FreeCycle and give it away to the person with the best story of what they'll do with it or why they want it.

********edit********* hey - that was my kilopost !

PostsTotal Posts: 1,000 (1.90 posts per day) Last Post:
    Letting my first road bike go
    02-27-08 03:17 PM
    Find all posts by DiabloScott
    Find all threads started by DiabloScott
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody likes to have nice things, but only misers hoard them. Be thankful you do not fit the profile.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    The more stuff you have, the more *it* has you.

I suggest giving the bike away to a college student or somebody else who will ride it. Put it on Craig's List or FreeCycle and give it away to the person with the best story of what they'll do with it or why they want it.
    This bike was a gift from a friend of my then-wife to her, but it was too large for her, so I got it. It did yeoman service in the first two years after my divorce and still does daily commuting and utility duty. I'm very grateful for it.

Of course she did get my Falcon wagon in the divorce.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post

Of course she did get my Falcon wagon in the divorce.
    So, basically you're saying you got the better end of the deal, right?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post

"Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post

EDIT: HEY WAIT! Is it a Mixte????
    No, not a mixte, a standard triangle frame. There is one just like it (except already converted to fixed) on Ebay right now. The blue one. The other Sport for sale there is in far worse shape than mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast