Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody pinch me... I must be dreaming

After months of casual bike shopping at more than half a dozen shops in our area (including some very good ones that we liked a lot), no one would agree to ordering a bike in our size to let us try it without a commitment to buy. I know there are shops that will do that -- but where???

We learned of another shop about 45 minutes from us and Hubby drove out there the other day. While he was there, he called me at work and asked "How would you feel about driving out here on Friday and borrowing a couple of Roubaixs in our sizes and riding them over the weekend to see how we like them?"

<silence............>

"Are you kidding??????????"

Not only that, they ordered them just to let us test them out, no commitments. They are a very service-oriented store, they have a fitter who does comprehensive fittings and is also a trainer who can give performance and fitness advice, they offer free maintenance for life on bikes purchased there, and someone who lives nearby can pick up and deliver our bikes when they need servicing. Oh yeh, they promised that we will leave the shop on a bike that fits. How much better can it get.

It won't be long now until we have 4 bikes in our family room.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edit: Make that 5.
    Last edited by Yen; 02-27-08 at 10:08 PM.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten bucks says you buy them
    George

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to spend another 6 months studying the choices and testriding bikes, across a couple dozen bike shops spread across several states.

Seriously, I've had shops offer to order bikes in for me and I've always turned them down. I might allow them to do it if I was really serious about the bike. But I've got a thing, probably dysfunctional, about letting people go out of there way for me.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Ten bucks says you buy them
    I'll send my address so you can mail it to me.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I think you need to spend another 6 months studying the choices and testriding bikes, across a couple dozen bike shops spread across several states. ......

With this wrist of mine, I need to be sure I'm buying the right size road bike. One shop says a 56 is best for me, another one swears a 54 is best. I bought the wrong size once and I don't want to do it again, especially not on my first road bike in 20+ years, being 50+ years old. A hybrid, with its upright riding position, is more forgiving. Their offer is way beyond what we would have asked for. Apparently they are known for their excellent service.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you go to pick them up, let them know that you're also looking at "those RoadMasters" at Wal-Mart!

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your found the store to buy from.

The shop where I bought my Portland (and where ang1sgt works) does the same thing. I'm very happy there. And, of course, I'm very happy with my bike.

The only difference I see from what you've said above, is that at Full Moon Vista you get the full fitting BEFORE the test ride. I spent nearly an hour in the trainer on (what became) my bike while they fussed and fiddled and swapped stems and such. Only when we were all happy with the fit was I allowed to take it for a test ride.

Naturally, I was sold within the first half-mile of the ride. And naturally, I rode it quite a bit more than that half-mile before returning to the shop...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like time for the Bike shed.

Now no matter how committed you feel for this shop- because of all the trouble they have gone to- If that bike doesn't feel right- Don't buy it.

Now you said Roubaix- but hopefully one of these will be a "Ruby" There is a lot more to the WSD forms of bikes than sizing and if the Bike does fit and feel comfortable- a lot of additional expense can be accumulated with saddles- correct bar width and shorter brake levers- so make certain it is right for you and not the shop.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some good shops out there, and it looks like you may have found one. BTW, here's your pinch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Comp, Specialized Roubaix, Specialized FSR XC Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a really nice LBS near my home that just offered to do the same for me. A Roubaix Expert Triple is on order and could arrive Friday or Monday. I'm sure I'll end up buying it.
    2005 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 2007 Specialized FSR XC Pro, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, you know I just bought a Roubaix & so far I am very happy with it. I only have 63 miles on it, but that is only riding it 4 days.
    I really like the more upright riding position & after riding the hybrid it really doesn't seem much different, it is a pretty easy transition so far.

I also have a LBS in town that sells Specialized, but I ended up going 30 miles to another LBS because there service was so much better. They seemed to really enjoy what they were doing & have been very helpful to me. I asked all kinds of questions & it didn't seem to bother them at all. You have to be happy with who you buy it from because you will be going back for quick adjustments, etc.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    The only difference I see from what you've said above, is that at Full Moon Vista you get the full fitting BEFORE the test ride. I spent nearly an hour in the trainer on (what became) my bike while they fussed and fiddled and swapped stems and such. Only when we were all happy with the fit was I allowed to take it for a test ride.
    They might do that, we have yet to see. Hubby said they told him they would make whatever adjustments we need on the bike so they fit us before we borrow them, however they would do that. I'm planning to get the full fitting for myself, before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Now no matter how committed you feel for this shop- because of all the trouble they have gone to- If that bike doesn't feel right- Don't buy it.

Now you said Roubaix- but hopefully one of these will be a "Ruby" There is a lot more to the WSD forms of bikes than sizing and if the Bike does fit and feel comfortable- a lot of additional expense can be accumulated with saddles- correct bar width and shorter brake levers- so make certain it is right for you and not the shop.]

If the 56cm Roubaix fits me, there isn't a 58cm Ruby (the equivalent of the 56 Roubaix but with WSD fit).
    I'm not 100% set on buying these particular bikes... we just wanted to be able to ride these sizes to see how they feel before we'd consider buying them -- either to be sure they are the right size, or to rule them out. I'll be a little skeptical tomorrow and want to be sure that they won't be expecting us to buy them and won't be disappointed if we don't. They might be the first of many bikes we ride there, or we could decide to buy them. I'm keeping an open mind. They told Hubby that they said they do most of their business in service, that lots of people refer others to their shop; he could sense that while he was there. So, I think they may not push any bike on us, but be more particular about how it fits.

This week, I also entertained the thought of a custom-built steel bike..... I know there are pros and cons to the different frame materials. I'm trying to not rush into this.... except that if I could wave a magic wand and have the perfect bike for ME in our family room right now, I'd do that... I just don't know which bike that is yet.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen

You've got to share with us the shop name. Particularly for those of us in S. Ca.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go... Don's Bike Shop.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    They might do that, we have yet to see. Hubby said they told him they would make whatever adjustments we need on the bike so they fit us before we borrow them, however they would do that. I'm planning to get the full fitting for myself, before I buy.

I'm not 100% set on buying these particular bikes... we just wanted to be able to ride these sizes to see how they feel before we'd consider buying them -- either to be sure they are the right size, or to rule them out. I'll be a little skeptical tomorrow and want to be sure that they won't be expecting us to buy them and won't be disappointed if we don't. They might be the first of many bikes we ride there, or we could decide to buy them. I'm keeping an open mind. They told Hubby that they said they do most of their business in service, that lots of people refer others to their shop; he could sense that while he was there. So, I think they may not push any bike on us, but be more particular about how it fits.

This week, I also entertained the thought of a custom-built steel bike..... I know there are pros and cons to the different frame materials. I'm trying to not rush into this.... except that if I could wave a magic wand and have the perfect bike for ME in our family room right now, I'd do that... I just don't know which bike that is yet.
    You've talked about your wrist and grip problems - have you discussed that with teh fitter yet? what does that person say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it bother anyone that it took half a dozen shops to find what that knows what the heck they are doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry insert "one" between find and what.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    You've talked about your wrist and grip problems - have you discussed that with teh fitter yet? what does that person say?
    We haven't seen the fitter yet. We just brought home two Roubaix Comps on loan this afternoon. Tomorrow, I will call the fitter to schedule an appointment. He does a 2-3 hour fitting with the bike on a trainer. I will be sure to tell him about my wrist when I make the appointment.

We rode the bikes this afternoon -- mines a 56cm and Hubby's is 58cm (which is good, because I can try that one too with the seat lowered a few inches). The purpose of borrowing these bikes is to give us a fair amount of time to test the frame size before we buy.

The Roubaix is a nice smooth ride and the descents down hills are thrilling to say the least. Without a computer on the bike, it's hard to say how much faster we can go than on the hybrids, but it was noticeably easier to climb and accelerate. The only real discomfort that I noticed was in my left thumb joint -- not my neck, back or wrist! I severed the tendon in that thumb about a year ago (the blade went into the joint capsule between the bones) and I have some discomfort in it now and then. If we can bring the bars back about 1-1/4 inches, I think the reach would be perfect. I love the smooth ride of this bike and the responsive shifting and quick handling.

Mine is a compact double. We live around hilly neighborhoods so I swore I'd need a triple. I'll see how we feel on our typical routes tomorrow and Sunday which have some longer but lower grade climbs. We climbed a tough hill today (like the big hill at the end of the memorial ride, but much shorter) that we haven't done since last spring when we were first beginning to ride... it's still hard, and a lower gear may have helped.

If I believe this frame size is right for me, then I just need to select which Roubaix I want. I'm very comfortable with the price of the Comp Triple. I can be talked into the Expert Triple, if I'm convinced spending an extra $900 will give me a lot more in components and wheels. If not, I could use that toward the extras I'll need to dial in the fitting, new computer, etc. I also plan to swap out the stock tires for Armadillos (less chance I'll have to change them with a weak hand).
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Does it bother anyone that it took half a dozen shops to find what that knows what the heck they are doing?
    Yes, it bothers ME.

We really liked some of the shops we went to, one of them in particular. But no one would agree to order a bike in our size for us to try. We were unwilling to pay a lot of money (to us) sight unseen without riding them first. The owner of this shop spent a lot of time with us today helping us get the loaner bikes adjusted well enough to determine if the frame size is right for us. He said that if not, he can get any other size. They also carry Cannondale so I could try a Synapse too. They've been in business for 50 years and they have a serious customer-service policy. I'm looking forward to what I'll learn from the fitting experience.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker