Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need a rant here...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need a rant here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 07:17 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a rant here...

Just a place to vent I guess...
Was scheduled to be gone March 14 - 22 on a PAC Tour Desert Camp in Tucson, AZ. to spend the week riding 85mi. or so each day thru Tombstone, Wilcox, Chiricahua. Got the word today at work, due to the extraordinary circumstances in the credit markets currently, I will have to cancel. Although it's nice to be needed, especially as many in my line of business are recently unemployed, it still rankles that I can't go. I'll be reimbursed for my expenses lost, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Just going to have to work that much harder to train for the various events I plan to do this year...Thanks for listening
Old 02-28-08, 08:41 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for your bad fortune. Hope everything works out.

Seneca said a lot of wise things, but you signature line wasn't one of them. It is clearly incorrect. Thomas a Kempis' quotation was much more insightful.

Signed, a Davidson alumnus (1974).
Old 02-28-08, 08:49 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to feel your pain, but it's hard to empathize with someone who has the benefit of a (probably good) income ranting about a lost vacation when your peers are out looking for work. Yeah, you lost a vacation. They'd probably be willing to trade places with you in a heartbeat. Just my two cents.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-28-08, 09:19 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I think he covered that sentiment well enough. Even fortunate people get to hate it when their big riding plans get preempted.
Old 02-28-08, 09:27 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Sounds like our friend DG might need his own venting thread. Poor fella is way over stressed these days!! How can we help???

BTW, I can certainly empathize with PAlt when things don't pan out as planned.
Old 02-28-08, 09:29 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't trying to criticize the OP. Of course he has the "right" to feel disappointed. I was trying and obviously failing to help put it into perspective. You know, the old "I used to complain about my noisy beater bike until I saw a man with no bike at all."

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-29-08, 10:39 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hate it when vacation plans get screwed up by work. It happens to me all the time. And then, like right now when I'm sitting at home sick and would love to idle away the time with work, it's slow.

When I was working a "real" job and not freelancing, I would have been very* disappointed if they messed with my vacation. You only get so much of it, and you often have other people who are affected by the change in plans, too.

I don't quite see how they can make people cancel their vacations. I know I've worked at places that say only one person can be on vacation at a time, and that makes sense. But let's say a company is always busy in the winter. Do they tell you right up front that you get 3 weeks of vacation, but you can't take any of it from October to May?
Old 02-29-08, 10:52 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sure can sympathize with his disappointment. It is more than deposits lost, but arranging the time & trip.

I once worked at a place that instituted a policy that no more than 2 could be on vacation at a time (one per shift). With over 100 employees in my department, and many earning more than one week per year vacation, it simply was not possible to take all the time to which you were entitled.
Old 02-29-08, 10:52 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
Just a place to vent I guess...
Was scheduled to be gone March 14 - 22 on a PAC Tour Desert Camp in Tucson, AZ. to spend the week riding 85mi. or so each day thru Tombstone, Wilcox, Chiricahua. Got the word today at work, due to the extraordinary circumstances in the credit markets currently, I will have to cancel. Although it's nice to be needed, especially as many in my line of business are recently unemployed, it still rankles that I can't go. I'll be reimbursed for my expenses lost, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Just going to have to work that much harder to train for the various events I plan to do this year...Thanks for listening
That sucks! I grant you full permission to feel disappointed. Hope you are able to go on your next vacation.
Old 02-29-08, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reminds me of the time I got promoted to management at a major steel company. The union had negotiated 6 weeks vacation every 6 years as I remember it. So anyway the plant manager tells us if you take your 6 week vacation don't bother coming back as you will not have a job when you return. It is nice to be needed.
Old 03-01-08, 12:06 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It irks me too when I can't take scheduled time off work... when that happens, it feels like work dominates my life. In reality, it's only an unpleasant inconvenience. Someone I know recently told me "Part of being an adult is having to do things we don't want to do". Still, I empathize with you....
Old 03-01-08, 12:54 AM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Empathy for sure particularly if you are saddled (pun intended) with dealing with the burgeoning ills of the mortgage market or slide in stocks or dollar losing value against the Euro or oil prices rising or the upcoming April / May doomsday new onslaught of mortgage foreclosures!

Are you sure you can't telecommute? I think I just really depressed myself!

Be thankful you still have a job. If it wasn't for problems most of us wouldn't have a thing to do.
Good Luck!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 03-01-08, 12:32 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
It irks me too when I can't take scheduled time off work... when that happens, it feels like work dominates my life. In reality, it's only an unpleasant inconvenience. Someone I know recently told me "Part of being an adult is having to do things we don't want to do". Still, I empathize with you....
when work interferes with pleasure, give up work.
Old 03-01-08, 12:36 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
when work interferes with pleasure, give up work.
If only!
Old 03-01-08, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Here's the deal and it is a personal truth derived from much living. I have never had a negative event (from hangnails to lost jobs to serious illness to bloody death of someone in my own arms) that did not in the end provide perspective, wisdom, strength, and ultimate benefit. I don't know why this is, but it is as close to "religion" as this old pirate is likely to get and as "fundamental truth" goes, is quite enough.
Old 03-01-08, 02:19 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
Here's the deal and it is a personal truth derived from much living. I have never had a negative event (from hangnails to lost jobs to serious illness to bloody death of someone in my own arms) that did not in the end provide perspective, wisdom, strength, and ultimate benefit. I don't know why this is, but it is as close to "religion" as this old pirate is likely to get and as "fundamental truth" goes, is quite enough.
Interesting that the original OP's disappointment at missing out on something that he had looked forward to could create some insightful introspection. While flying air rescue I was privileged to be an observer of some very tragic events, some combined with the heroic actions of our fellow man. Many ending in heartbreak for friends and family.

As we all contemplate our immortality and realize that we are here but for a brief moment we realize that through these trials there is something else. Something that extends past our existence and transcends time. We can and do leave a lasting legacy for those that follow. That is a "Fundamental Truth" and hopefully is motivation that the legacy we leave is one that will pay dividends and benefit the generations to come.

PM me if you are interested in a Relationship verses a Religion

As I think about our Armed Forces being in harms way I am thankful for their sacrifices and the benefits that their legacy will leave for my grandson. Never forgetting that:

All Gave it Some and Some Gave It All!

I'm also hopeful that the disappointment for the OP will turn into a surprise benefit for him instead of just a disappointment. Time will tell.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)