Thread: bib question

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bib question

This might be a dumb question, but I bought a pair of Performance bikes bibs tonight & I was wondering, do the straps go over your shirt or under your shirt??

Has anyone else bought there brand bibs & are they any good? I have never worn bibs so this will be my first pair but they seem really comfortable.

2007 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not familiar with that particular brand but, the straps go over your under layer (if you wear one) and under your jersey.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but I bought a pair of Performance bikes bibs tonight & I was wondering, do the straps go over your shirt or under your shirt??

Has anyone else bought there brand bibs & are they any good? I have never worn bibs so this will be my first pair but they seem really comfortable.
    Performance makes a number of styles. I have two, one with a gel chamois and one with more conventional padding. Sizing doesn't seem to be consistent from style to style; the gel chamois fits me at my (sigh) winter weight, and the other doesn't, even though they are both XXL.

Bibs go underneath your jersey, and over any base layer you wear. (I always wear a compression shirt under my jersey and bibs to cope with the loose skin from my 140 pound weight loss.)

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a dumb question. I wondered about that, too!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And when the weather warms up, you can just wear the bibs, no jersey. Babe magnet you will be.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always buy a few under shirts a couple sizes smaller just for under the bib straps. feels more comfy and they don't bunch up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're at Red Lobster the bib goes over your jersey so you don't get food on it.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't cross the straps like I do on my bib tuck overalls! It just rubs the tender parts badly. My Bib Tucks don't have padding either!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bibs under Jersey unless your from West Virginia.
    For Californians, the bibs should be carefully color coordinated light/dark to avoid that annoying show through.
    Since Jersey's are not required in the deep south, you may hang your fishing implements from the bib straps.
    Here in the North East we are not allowed to wear bib shorts but rather bib knickers for modesty reasons.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW- hard to P** when you wear one. But I like them better than shorts. Seem to give extra support and not 'bunch up'.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to make your own bib shorts by attaching suspenders to the pants?

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    Is it possible to make your own bib shorts by attaching suspenders to the pants?
    I tried. It's difficult at best, and I found I kept coming unfastened.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I remember now........I was going to have a line about Maine in my post above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer bibs to shorts. Bibs keep the chamois from moving around and therefore are more comfortable. I always wear a base layer. In the summer it is just a sleeveless mesh while this time of year it may be something more substantial. Without a base layer it is possible for the bib straps to chafe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bibs are made in different weight materials for seasonal riding. My favorite pair in the winter are lined with a thin warm brushed fleece. They are almost windproof too. Craft makes them. They are awesome. Add some leg warmers and I'm good to go to about 35F.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean you can buy them already attached?
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help & suggestions.
    Today me & my buddy are going for a 30 mile ride & since the temperature supposes to only be in the high 50's I'll wear one of my wicking workout shirts under & then a long sleeve jersey shirt over & then maybe my wind breaker.

Might even need tights but I haven't been outside to see what it is like just yet.

Just wearing the bibs around the house I think I'll like them better then shorts. I'm a little on the big size 6'2" 210 pounds so it helps hold the tummy in just a little.

As for having to take a pea, I don't think they will be that much harder then shorts, just drop the straps & your ready.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually peeing for men is dependent of the bib. Some have higher front panels than others. I prefer bibs with lower front panels because I find the higher ones to be too warm. I don't really have a belly so that isn't a concern. The lower bibs are easy to pull down in front for a nature break without lowering the straps. Just try it to see if that will work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have seen them used both ways. Inside and outside shirt. Prefer to wear bib under the jersey. Most bibs are uncomfortable in an upright walking positon and are formed to a riding position. Enjoy, most who try bib shorts never go back to regular bike shorts.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put some short ribs into the crock pot for dinner tonight. Should I wear my bibs or just use napkins?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Have seen them used both ways. Inside and outside shirt. Prefer to wear bib under the jersey. Most bibs are uncomfortable in an upright walking positon and are formed to a riding position. Enjoy, most who try bib shorts never go back to regular bike shorts.
    I will have to see how they feel when the weather gets a little warmer, but after riding with them today I don't know if I'll go back, they are so comfortable not having that tightness around your waste. They might not be the most expensive ones out there, but I really liked them.

I have never been a fan of the tight shorts in fact the only other pair of riding shorts I have are baggies, but after today I'm not sure if I'll wear them that often, I really like the tight fit feel, like you aren't wearing anything.

The only thing I'll miss from the baggie shorts is the pockets. On a road bike there isn't much extra places to carry your stuff.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now you need the jersey with the pockets in the back...............................feel the pull of the darkside............full kit in bright colors and there you go...........another convert.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Now you need the jersey with the pockets in the back...............................feel the pull of the darkside............full kit in bright colors and there you go...........another convert.
    I love the bright colors, in fact I have one jersey I wear now that has the pockets in the back, just need to get used to having junk back there.
    In fact today I had my energy bars in those pockets, but I'm not comfortable putting my cell phone back there.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the bright colors, in fact I have one jersey I wear now that has the pockets in the back, just need to get used to having junk back there.
    In fact today I had my energy bars in those pockets, but I'm not comfortable putting my cell phone back there.
    Lately when I've been riding I've brought the cell phone - from some odd paranoid whim, I guess. I put it in one of those pockets back there and forgot about it. Someone called me (which almost never happens) and I spent the first 30 seconds looking around, wondering who the &%$ brought their %$#$%@ cell phone way out out here.... Oh, never mind... its me.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

I get by w/regular bike shorts just fine.

But I have a couple of pairs of full-length tights that are a little too loose (esp. since I've been losing weight) and I got a cheap pair of suspenders to hold them up. They work just fine (I wear the suspenders over a very thin base layer shirt, and throw a jersey over the top).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast