User Tag List

My Bikes
    Bianchi road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clip-ons vs rx sunglasses

I have been using clip-on sunglasses over my rx glasses for many years, never had a pair of rx sunglasses. But it's getting hard to find the clip-ons I like, so I am thinking about getting rx sunglasses.

But the other day I was out walking in bright sunshine, with my clip-ons, then it got cloudy, so I just took the clip-ons off. If I use the rx sunglasses, I would have had to continue walking with the sunglasses, unless I carried my normal glasses with me. I have thought about the Transitions type of sunglasses, but I wonder if they would get dark enough.

How do others with rx sunglasses deal with this - days going from bright sun to clouds?

Thanks.

Bill

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Transitions.

If you wear polorized clipons, you may have difficulty reading your computer/spedometer display because that screen is polorized also.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have transitional lenses in my normal glasses, but they are too small to serve as much protection from the wind and sun when cycling as large sunglasses. I looked into getting large "Audrey Hepburn" prescription sunglasses, but they were lots of $$$ and very heavy to wear. So I bought a pair of big sunglasses from the LBS and wear contact lenses on most rides.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

AAX
    My Bikes
    Winterbeater;moutain tourbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear bifocal "photogray" glasses.For me they work fine.Even now with heavy snow and bright sunshine
    they get dark enough to be comfortable.
    However when you go back inside they take a minute to lighten up.I just look over the top or take them
    while I get out of the winter coats, heavy sweaters, long johns,heavy gloves,snow boots,earwarmers,
    do the big snotblow,-did I get that all?
    Also:The halfmoons donot darken completely.
    I was told Polarized- plastic lenses
    Photo gray-Glass lenses. They are abit heavier.I get them hardened or tempered
    whatever it's called.
    When inside they are a 'tetch' darker than clear glasses.
    They are relatively scratchproof.
    In the summer I always wear them on an idiot string.
    I hope this helps a bit.

Anton V.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Transitions before and I'm getting them again on my next pair. They work fine except for one place. They don't work in the car. The windshield blocks enough UV to stop the color change. For the car, I'll keep my Scrip shades. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about getting those big ol' granny goggles that go over your regular rx glasses and wrap around your face. :: You know the ones they sell at Walgreens or CVS that look like tinted eye protection shields. I'd just put one of those tube shaped straps on the earpieces to keep them strapped onto my head and be off. Maybe I'll get yellow or those rose colored ones.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cycling I've recently started using Cocoons (http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/), which fit over my regular prescription glasses. These are not those huge over-glasses type, they are just barely larger than my regular glasses. My regular prescription sunglasses are too small to give me enough wind protection, especially in cooler weather, but the Cocoons fit tightly against my face and have a shelf over the lenses that seals out the wind.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use clip-ons. Found some on eBay that I liked a lot and purchased 6 pair a couple of years ago. These are nice in that the lower part of the lens has a lighter tint, so you can more easily read the instrument panel in your car when driving. Don't know how they work for biking as I've never worn a pair of sunglasses when riding a bike.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use prescription sunglasses, but they didn't provide sufficient wind protection. Then I tried Rx inserts for Rudy Project Ekynox glasses, but the vision was very distorted so I returned them.

I now use Vistana fit over sunglasses, which fit over my regular progressive glasses. I really like them; great vision and wind protection.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a pair of closeout cycling glasses for cheap and had my optician add prescription polarized lenses. Look for a model with less than radical curving to be sure they can fit lenses in them.

My regular prescription sunglasses work fine but won't stay in place while riding and don't block wind as well as the sport glasses. Clip ons would make them slide even faster. I'm not a fan of the way the cover shields look or feel.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes man View Post
    For cycling I've recently started using Cocoons (http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/), which fit over my regular prescription glasses. These are not those huge over-glasses type, they are just barely larger than my regular glasses. My regular prescription sunglasses are too small to give me enough wind protection, especially in cooler weather, but the Cocoons fit tightly against my face and have a shelf over the lenses that seals out the wind.
    Those Cocoons do look like a better option. At least less dorky looking and more aero as well. Looks like my next ride around the dam will call for a stop at Bass Pro to see if they have them there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Wal-mart, I got a pair of fit-over type shades for about $20.00. They have different shapes and sizes, so you should find one that fits. They don't look too bad. But they work very well.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have happily used the magnetic Easy Clip system for the past 7 years.

Some of the prescription sunglass systems will not support my strong (-7.5 with 2-diopter astigmatism) prescription.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    I have transitional lenses in my normal glasses, but they are too small to serve as much protection from the wind and sun when cycling as large sunglasses.
    I use transitional lenses. However, when I was fitted for them, I took along a hair dryer and let them know that the glasses had to do a very good job of blocking the wind and protecting my eyes when I was riding. Much to my surprise, and the person fitting me, the larger sunglasses didn't do as good a job as the small lens glasses I actually bought. These smaller lens glasses seem to work because the fit the contour of my face and form a good barrier right around the eye socket. Hence, I'm now a believer that it's not the size, but the shape that counts. If I have a complaint about the transitional lens it is that they do not darken the same amount in hot and cold weather.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 400 + Gazelle Medeo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bw77 View Post
    I have been using clip-on sunglasses over my rx glasses for many years, never had a pair of rx sunglasses. But it's getting hard to find the clip-ons I like, so I am thinking about getting rx sunglasses.

But the other day I was out walking in bright sunshine, with my clip-ons, then it got cloudy, so I just took the clip-ons off. If I use the rx sunglasses, I would have had to continue walking with the sunglasses, unless I carried my normal glasses with me. I have thought about the Transitions type of sunglasses, but I wonder if they would get dark enough.

How do others with rx sunglasses deal with this - days going from bright sun to clouds?

Thanks.

Bill
    I found Louis Garneau technical glasses that have a prescription lens clip built-in to the eyeglasses. They came with three sets of outer lenses (clear, amber and gray).

The only word of caution is that the prescription lens clip has to be handle with care by the optician. They overheated the insert and it broke the first time they tried with mine. Louis Garneau were fast in shipping out a replacement part, at the optician's expense and I was off biking merrily after that.

Cheers,
    Ronald (Ron) Houde
    Living Life at 16km/hr, the ultimate Canada bike vacation
    Seeing Less, Seeing Better, Living Happier
    Cycling Vacation the Bike & Boat Way