Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-08, 09:25 AM   #1
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bike Shoe Maintenance

Is it proper to use a leather cleaner and conditioner for the bike shoes like Lexol? How about a shoe tree like cedar wood to keep the insides from smelling bad. And when will Nike figure out how to insert a micro chip in the shoe in case we get hit by a car or for other useless data?
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 05:41 PM   #2
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most modern bike shoes are made of Lorica or some other kind of "fake" leather. Don't think Lexol would hurt them but not sure either. I just wipe mine down with a damp cloth and mild soap if they get dirty.

Have only used a shoe tree to try to stretch a snug pair of bike shoes but don't think a wooden shoe tree will hurt anything. Always pull out the removalble insoles at the end of a ride and let the sweat dry out. I am impressed with how long cycling shoes actually last. Thought I would be looking for a new pair after a year or so, but the Nike shoes look almost new into year #4.

Really like Nike cycling shoes but I would not pay extra for a chip in the shoe. Cell phone works well for emergencies.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 07:40 PM   #3
rmwkokomo

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since Nike has decided to drop the cycling business it is unlikely they will come up with anything new for their cycling shoes.
rmwkokomo is offline   Reply With Quote