Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Frigid Rigid debut: Out on the bike at last!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 09:30 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our record setting winter is finally relinquishing its icy grip here. It was 50 and sunny today so I took the (not so)Frigid Rigid out for its first real ride as opposed to the previous around-the-block shakedown; a leisurely 7-ish mile spin around Stoney Creek metropark. Report:

1) I like this Biopace stuff! Wasn't sure about those weird elliptical chainrings but yet again, the late great Sheldon was right. Only time I really noticed anything odd was when grannying up a grade or putting on some power, and then in a good way. Gave my legs little mini-rests just when needed. I will have to find a Biopace or similar ring for my fixie. Heck, maybe even for my Giant OCR.

2) The 820 Antelope is heavy but doesn't feel heavy somehow. Maybe fit and geometry trump weight. Or maybe it's some of that Biopace mojo.

3) Boy, outside sure is better than the trainer! (Duh.)

4) I celebrated at a Dairy Queen. Calories be darned.

5) Glad I got those plastic fenders at a swap meet for the snowmelt puddles.

And by golly, some daffs and early tulips are ju-u-u-st beginning to poke out of the semi-frozen dirt in the garden.
Old 03-15-08, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
I celebrated at a Dairy Queen. Calories be darned.
That, my friend, is one of the reasons I ride.
Old 03-15-08, 05:24 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
Our record setting winter is finally relinquishing its icy grip here. It was 50 and sunny today so I took the (not so)Frigid Rigid out for its first real ride as opposed to the previous around-the-block shakedown; a leisurely 7-ish mile spin around Stoney Creek metropark.
Yay! I liked the biopace stuff when I tried it, too!

Glad to see you got the rigid out, even though it wasn't totally frigid! I'm impressed with these old mountain bikes. They are seriously sweet.
Old 03-15-08, 05:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to hear people are finally getting out. I got in a little 3 miles today, riding with my daughter whose bike I just adjusted and cleaned up. Going up a mild incline, I was very discouraged by how out of shape my legs got over the winter.

I've never had a chance to ride a biopace bike.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-15-08, 08:47 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
I had my first outdoor ride today, too, here in Ann Arbor. We went out in the mornign around 6:50, 33 degrees. Rode an 8-mile loop on the old Trek 610. I'm finding the "new" 172.5 cranks very much to my liking, and strangely I'm climbing the smooth hills pretty well. It has tubulars, SKS fenders with a mud flap, a Noodle, an Alias, and an old Chorus gruppo is taking over the drivetrain piece by piece. 8-speed ergos are in waiting in the wings.

It feels great!

Tomorrow mornign we'll hit that route again, it's easy enought for a daily run when you just need to get in some pedalling. Then we'll hit Breugger's for bagels on the way home.

Bcoppola, think there's any chance we could meet for some rides this year? I know it didn't work out last year!

Road Fan

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-15-08 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 08:48 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Solveg, why is there a little winged creature next to the star next to your name?

Road Fan
Old 03-15-08, 09:05 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Solveg, why is there a little winged creature next to the star next to your name?

Road Fan
That's an Igor. If you've donated time or money to a charity, preferably in Sheldon Brown's name, you get a winged eagle like the one on Sheldon's cap. It's a way to encourage giving, the way Sheldon did.

So if you've donated recently, or next time you do, just shoot Brian an email and let him know. Or, you could see my siggie below, if you're looking for a way to donate!
Old 03-16-08, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got Biopace rings on both my Trek 820 and my Schwinn 354. I
hardly even notice the difference anymore. I switch around from one
bike to another so often I guess I just know how those two will feel
when I ride them. Now, if the BioPace were to disappear from those two
bikes...then I might notice.

On a simialar note, I think I notice a definite ride difference between my
steel frames and my aluminum frames. I usually like the stiff aluminum better
though sometimes I'll be in the mood for a recreational romp on a steel frame.
Isn't it strange, the things we notice about our bikes?

Happy trails
Old 03-16-08, 04:25 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Bcoppola, think there's any chance we could meet for some rides this year? I know it didn't work out last year!

Road Fan
Well...I have the Metro Grand Spring Tour (Sunday, May 4 https://www.lmb.org/dcc/mgst/ ) flyer here in front of me...you doing it?
Old 03-17-08, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I ride all winter in Marquette Michigan up on lake superior, keeps me tough enough to do anything.
Old 03-17-08, 07:24 AM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have biopace on my Miyata. Love them!
Old 03-17-08, 08:00 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The only problem I've had with Biopace is when installing a front derailleur, I have to remember to set the derailleur height on the tallest part of the ring or else it will hit when it turns. I've never noticed any particular advantage or disadvantage while riding.
Old 03-17-08, 08:05 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Now that my rigid Trek 970 is no longer forced into duty as my main offroad ride, I am plotting yet another Frankenbike conversion for it. This time I think I'll go with some version of a dirt drop handlebar, probably an Origin-8 Gary bar and something similar to Ritchey Speedmax dual purpose tires to make it a true on/off road bike.
Old 03-17-08, 01:22 PM
King of the molehills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmcanulty
I ride all winter in Marquette Michigan up on lake superior, keeps me tough enough to do anything.
Yeah, well, us trolls think you Yoopers are a mite tetched in the head.

(Insider jokes for Michiganders)