Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting My Legs Under Me

We lucked out (somewhat) and had bright sun and mid to high 60's today in northwest Arkansas. The somewhat part included winds out of the south from 14 to 21 mph with gusts to 27. Despite the aforementioned wind, I had to take advantage of the sun and temperatures and do a ride south to Mt. Gaylor. I need to get my legs, butt, and hands back in training, and I figured a good hill climb would help.

About a mile and a half from the top of the mountain, I spied some old cars in the parking lot of a little restaurant. All of them appear to be well maintained.

I thought this was the neatest one. It's a 1931 Ford. The owner, Dave, from Sonoma County, CA was nice enough to snap the pic for me.

When I got to the top of the mountain, my normal reception committee came out to "greet" me.

Here they are after they had finished greeting me.

The fourth one was a little camera shy today. I usually park under a tree at an old well in the corner of their yard and take a break. They usually come over to get petted, get their bellies scratched, and to mooch my snacks.

The trip south is basically a long climb with various grades along the way. With the south wind today, it turned into a good workout (little ring even on flats and gentle slopes every now and then). With a loop through the industrial park and the trip up the mountain, the total was 63 miles and 1,467' of climbing.

I was surprised that the legs and butt did pretty well today. The hands got a little sore, but that was the purpose of the trip... get things working again.

The trip back to the truck was pretty quick with a good tail wind. I didn't see as many cyclists as I thought I would, but I saw quite a few motorcyclists. The crotchrocket crew was out in strength today. They like the hills and curves on old 71, and there's not too much traffic on it any more. A couple of them did some fairly impressive wheelies as they went by. I'd be afraid to see what would happen if they dump one of those things. They don't let any grass grow under their feet, if you know what I mean.

Back at Drake Field, Ol' Fuj was secured in the back of the truck, and he and I, two tired puppies, headed for the barn.

Mission accomplished.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your pictures, they help tell a great story. Doesn't it feel good to ride again after a long layoff?! (...not that I'd know here in soCal..... but I can imagine it would..... )
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures, DJ. Thanks for sharing.

It does feel good to get out on the road after a long lay off. Kinda makes you feel like balance has been restored to the Force.

Hope the weather holds and you get more rides soon.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how you did 63 miles on your return back to the bike, I did 31 today & I was pretty tired.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, always good to see scenery from different parts of the country.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post
    Not sure how you did 63 miles on your return back to the bike, I did 31 today & I was pretty tired.
    I've been able to get in a few weekend rides, and this week I was able to get in a couple of short after-work rides. So, I haven't been totally off the bike. I'm wanting to get my body back into shape for some good solid weekend rides, and I want to be able to ride some centuries again this year. I was really whipped when I got back to the house.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos! You'll sleep well tonight. That kind of tired feels really good.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great ride with the old cars and friendly reception committee
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it was a beautiful day in Arkansas. I don't know if you have noticed, but the buds on the pear trees which have remained tightly wrapped all winter are starting to unfurl. I think that by the end of the week we may be awash in beautiful flowers.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride report John, you are way ahead of me. I did 15 Friday and 20 yesterday, to more or less ease back into it. Thankfully, no problems or soreness, so I think I can ramp it up a bit more. We need to ride together again this spring, but AFTER I've spent some more time in the saddle. Right now, you'd kill me.... after more time to prepare, I'll only wish I was dead...
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    We need to ride together again this spring...
    I'm looking forward to another ride in SWMO. Perhaps we can ride the century again this year.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I killed myself yeaterday and I'm ashamed to report how far and fast I rode - leave it at "not very".

Going out was find but the trip back was directly into the teeth of the headwind. The long term friend (28 years) who I was riding with was obviously slowing to keep from dropping me and he was too polite to mention it. Thought I was going to puke. I had to postphone dinner for awhile and my body obviously hasn't recovered yet this morning. My eyebrows hurt!

As I mentioned on another thread - the only part of my body that doesn't ache is my butt. I love my Brooks saddle!