User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So what do you do for the 35th Anniversary?

Jury Duty, that's what. This is about the 8th time in the last 25 years that I have been selected. I have friends who have never...............never even been called for jury duty, let alone having avoided it. What gives with that.

I have heard that a Jury is made up of the 12 people too slow or stupid to get out of it. Very few other quotes can get me as riled up as that one. It is a right and a privilege to serve on a jury.

But on my 35th Anniversary............geesh. That's like having to work on your birthday.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Jury Duty, that's what. This is about the 8th time in the last 25 years that I have been selected. I have friends who have never...............never even been called for jury duty, let alone having avoided it. What gives with that.

I have heard that a Jury is made up of the 12 people too slow or stupid to get out of it. Very few other quotes can get me as riled up as that one. It is a right and a privilege to serve on a jury.

But on my 35th Anniversary............geesh. That's like having to work on your birthday.
    Whatever they did, hang 'em. Hang 'em high.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to work on your Birthday ?!?!?!

Cool !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy way out.
    Spay your clothes with liquor and wear a swastika armband.You,ll be out of there quicker than the jury foreman can say WTF.
    Happy 35th anniversary.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So have you ever been selected to actually serve on a jury panel?

I somethimes think that the panel is composed of people who appear so utterly wishy washy that the lawyers are confident of swaying them and/or of people who lie about their past life experience to get selected as jurors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

I somethimes think that the panel is composed of people who appear so utterly wishy washy that the lawyers are confident of swaying them and/or of people who lie about their past life experience to get selected as jurors.
    I've seen jurors turned down whose only fault in my opinion was that they
    appeared and sounded far more intelligent than the lawyers who interviewed
    them.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry View Post
    Easy way out.
    Spay your clothes with liquor and wear a swastika armband.You,ll be out of there quicker than the jury foreman can say WTF.
    I've got 3 words for you: "Contempt of Court." You don't get a jury trial for that. It could get even worst. Have fun wearing that arm band with whoever is shareing the lockup cell with you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I've seen jurors turned down whose only fault in my opinion was that they
    appeared and sounded far more intelligent than the lawyers who interviewed
    them.
    I'd like to think that described me, but I've got some additional baggage.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's too bad so many have the popular cynical view of jury duty. Maybe they should spend some time in a Turkish prison to appreciate the system we have.

I empathize that it falls on your 35th anniversary... plan an extra nice dinner (or whatever) that you can think about and look forward to!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew of a sheriff's deputy who had little love for the courts. Filled out his jury response in purple crayon. The judge held him in contempt.

We just celebrated our 35th anniversary, too. What should you do? Do what I did. 1. Bought her a diamond tennis bracelet. 2. Went to England/Wales for three weeks. 3. Gave her a new car tied up in a big red bow. 4. Gave her a pair of pink "Croc" slippers (with fake fur lining).

P.S. Only one of the above is true.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How'd she like the slippers?

My 35th is just a couple years away, where can I buy a pair?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In 8 tries I have only made it to jury questioning once. That lawyer asked my how I was going to find in the case. I said "after I've heard the case I'll know"...............thanks goodby.

I think there's something broken in the system. The jury room is full of older adults and kids. Where are all of the 30 and 40 year olds who work for a living?

Thanks for the advice Mojo but I don't think my wife likes Crocs. We may be working on a new car though.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having served as foreman of a jury, I have an extremely low opinion of trial lawyers!

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    I knew of a sheriff's deputy who had little love for the courts. Filled out his jury response in purple crayon. The judge held him in contempt.

We just celebrated our 35th anniversary, too. What should you do? Do what I did. 1. Bought her a diamond tennis bracelet. 2. Went to England/Wales for three weeks. 3. Gave her a new car tied up in a big red bow. 4. Gave her a pair of pink "Croc" slippers (with fake fur lining).

P.S. Only one of the above is true.
    Rats! I was going to ask you to coach my husband before our 25th next year. Until I read the P.S. and suspect that you opted for door #4.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Having served as foreman of a jury, I have an extremely low opinion of trial lawyers!
    Why is that? Their job is to do everything within the law to convince the jury to see things their way. that's what they are supposed to do.

My problem is that trials take a lot of very expensive time. If you don't have a whole lot of money you can't afford the most talented lawyers and, if the other side has a good one, you're likely to get run over.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=maddmaxx;6264588

I think there's something broken in the system. The jury room is full of older adults and kids. Where are all of the 30 and 40 year olds who work for a living?

[/QUOTE]

I was 35 when I spent 5 days on a jury. Fortunately, I could go home every night. My employer had a jury pay reimbursement plan. Since there wasn't anyone else at work that could do my job, I came in and worked on my off hours. Since I still wound up working 40 hours I had to give my jury pay to my employer cause I wasn't there for my normal work shifts. That kinda of bummed me out. I found later that if I hadn't worked then I could have kept my jury duty pay plus what I lost from not working. That never seemed right to me.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman View Post
    I was 35 when I spent 5 days on a jury. Fortunately, I could go home every night. My employer had a jury pay reimbursement plan. Since there wasn't anyone else at work that could do my job, I came in and worked on my off hours. Since I still wound up working 40 hours I had to give my jury pay to my employer cause I wasn't there for my normal work shifts. That kinda of bummed me out. I found later that if I hadn't worked then I could have kept my jury duty pay plus what I lost from not working. That never seemed right to me.
    Don't that suck. No good deed ever goes unpunished.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the members of my jury pool was tossed because they stated that one of their friends was a policeman. Couldn't figure that one out. Being friendly to a policeman prejudices you?

I've only been notified of jury duty once, but as luck would have it, I was selected to serve in a jury trial. Only took 1 day though.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Yen;6264443 Maybe they should spend some time in a Turkish prison to appreciate the system we have.[/QUOTE]
    The system we have puts more people in prison than any other country in the world. 1% of the US population is in prison. It's a vindictive, backward and prejudiced judicial system, even if the conditions are better than Turkey's, although I doubt it in some states.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only reason we put more people in prison than many other countries is that we prosecute crimes here.

In many countries it is not a crime to stone your daughter to death for an inappropriate date.

If I have any problem with our 1% of the population in jail, its that we let many of them out too soon.

Whoops, there goes my jury duty again.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of those who has never been called for jury duty. I've been a registered voter all my adult life and lived in the same area. I often wonder how they come up with the list for jury duty as many of my friends have been called several times.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been called for jury duty once; I actually made it onto three juries. One case was settled, one case was cancelled and new juries seated for it when one of the three defendants decided to take a plea bargain and on the third one we actually got to make a decision. All in all, it was a real eye-opener; I think everybody should do it at least once - if only to see that what's shown on the prime-time TV shows is a crock!
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people really want to be on a jury. And I'm not convinced that it's not out of a desire to see justice done, as much as it is that they feel that it is as if they are competeing to be on a game show. They simply hate to lose. Being selected is being a winner. Not being selected is being a loser.

I've been selected as an alternate once. The woman ahead of me pulled the all time classic line. She declared that she felt that the defendent wouldn't have been arrested if he wasn't guilty. Nothing I could say could top that. I had to observe all the trial, but since none of the regular jurors were disqualified, when it came time to make a decision, I got sent home.

But as they told me in San Diego, you also help the system by just being there to be selected or not. So I do my best to make it easy for them to reject a potential juror. I don't really feel qualified to judge others.

My best tool is the proper use of T shirts. I choose controversial ones.

The T-shirts that I own that I'd be likely to choose are "Guilty, like you're not", "Gromit goes to Jail" from "A Close Shave". Another one that I got in the Bahamas that shows a couple of Rasta's in a VW van with the line "Stay Left Mon."

I imagine a Tupac T-shirt or Snoop Dogg T-shirt would work as well. If you want to take the opposite tack, there are lots of choices as well. You could wear shirts that declare your support for law enforcement like "We love our sheriff".
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    One of the members of my jury pool was tossed because they stated that one of their friends was a policeman. Couldn't figure that one out. Being friendly to a policeman prejudices you?
    As the daughter of a retired detective, I can answer that. It is impossible for me to separate myself from law enforcement -- they are like a second family to me, which is why I was so motivated to participate in the memorial ride last month. To me, I see each member of that family as someone's father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, etc. whereas most people probably just see a cop in uniform. It is impossible for me to NOT give them the benefit of the doubt. I know there are bad apples in every bunch, and they grieve my heart for the remaining 99.999999999999% who aren't. Growing up in a law enforcement family is unique -- most kids don't see their dad (or mom) come home from work and remove his gun and handcuffs from his waist and put them in a locked drawer, or wait for dad to come home on Christmas morning after having to work special detail all night. To me, they are very, very special and I would have to excuse myself from a jury if I were ever selected for a trial in which a police officer is a defendant. Depending on the offense, it would be very difficult for me to be completely objective... it's just too close to home.

They probably feared that that member of your jury pool would have a similar difficulty in being objective -- because he is able to see an officer as human, not just a person in a uniform to be feared.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason we put more people in prison than many other countries is that we prosecute crimes here.

In many countries it is not a crime to stone your daughter to death for an inappropriate date.

If I have any problem with our 1% of the population in jail, its that we let many of them out too soon.

Whoops, there goes my jury duty again.
    Also, one of the reasons we have a higher crime rate than some other countries is that we actually have more crimes reported because we still have some trust that something will be done. In many emerging nations there is no police force to speak of and what there is doesn't work, so the public does not report crimes.

And at the risk of starting an OT argument, I would say (as a former probation officer for 33 years) that while we may let some out too soon, we send many to state prison (as opposed to county jails) who don't need to be there.

I'll shut up now.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast