Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   The maiden voyage on the Orange Crush with pics (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/393471-maiden-voyage-orange-crush-pics.html)

Digital Gee 03-02-08 04:16 PM

The maiden voyage on the Orange Crush with pics

Wow! What fun!

I took my maiden off-road voyage on my Peugeot today. The weather was perfect: 72 degrees. No wind. Sunny skies. When trying to figure out where to go, a quick internet search brought Florida Canyon to mind. I don't know why I never thought of it - it's only 2 miles from home. This is an off-road series of trails that is very typical of Southern California desert terrain. There are few trees and no shade, not a problem this time of year.

There are lots of little trails going this way and that, so it makes for a perfect place to practice my very beginner MTB skills. The trails consist of very hard packed dirt, and many of them have millions of small rocks, loose and not loose. There is some sand every once in a while.

Here's what I learned:

It's a lot harder than it looks!

I have to really concentrate to (hopefully) find the best part of the path. I can see how you can really clear your mind on the trail, because I had to keep focused on what I was doing, and couldn't really think about the usual clutter in my brain.

Harder doesn't mean less fun!

I did feel like a kid again (with the occasional moment of terror and flash about whether my insurance would cover a nasty fall!). It was a blast, especially on the switchbacks and little ups and downs. The path ahead wasn't always very clear around a corner because of the vegetation.

My hands were a little sore from time to time...

I had to grip the bars pretty hard to maintain my balance. Not a big issue, but way different from the smooth, silky ride on Ruby Roubaix. :)

I have to have a talk with my Bike Butler

He forgot to pack the water bottle. The trail was dusty and I got plenty thirsty.

The bike done good.

For a twenty-something bike, it handled well, I didn't flat (thank God!) and it was so much fun riding over all those bumps and rocks and such. It's such a different mind-set from trying to avoid potholes and road trash. On this bike, you just plough through the rocks and it keeps on taking it.

I'll need a neckerchief in the summer.

Hardly any bugs today, but in the summer they're going to be out in droves. Or whatever they are out in. I'll need some protection over my mouth or I'm going to be eating a LOT of bugs.

This spot is perfect for training.

It's so close to home, I can ride out the front door, take a couple of miles on the street, and be there. There's enough choices in trails that variety is easy. I do wish there were some trees for shade, however!

So here's some pics:

http://www.pbase.com/digitalgee/imag...1/original.jpg

A typical shot of the trails:

http://www.pbase.com/digitalgee/image/93670920.jpg

A fork in the trail. Which way did I go?

http://www.pbase.com/digitalgee/image/93670925.jpg

One of the easy sections:

http://www.pbase.com/digitalgee/image/93670877.jpg

And last, but not least. Florida Canyon is adjacent to the San Diego Velodrome. After my ride I paused to check out how the big boys do it. This is a tiny crop that I shot into the sun, without a viewfinder, just before my camera's battery failed. Ain't the best shot, but it will have to do!

http://www.pbase.com/digitalgee/image/93670568.jpg

TruF 03-02-08 04:19 PM

What fun, DG! I sure enjoy your posts, especially when you include photos. Thanks! And I like the name of your new bike. :)

The Weak Link 03-02-08 04:34 PM

You'll need to learn mountain bike lingo now.

One of your trail shots showed death cookies and baby heads. They are not so easy to travel on. And wait until they get a little wet :eek:

Tom Bombadil 03-02-08 04:37 PM

Sounds great! Just what the doctor ordered.

Nice alternative to when you don't want to take the Roubaix out. I love riding out in the fields and woods.

My Bike Butler has screwed up a couple of times in the same way that yours did. Had to cut those rides short - but still did some riding.

cranky old dude 03-02-08 04:58 PM

DG, I fear that if there are many more posts such as yours my
laziness may vacate the premisis and I may actually get back on the
The Beast.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

fthomas 03-02-08 05:16 PM

DG, the art of using the bod as a shock absorber ala Ned Overend style.

Glad you got out and as always the pic's are great. Now I know why they are so pixel rich!

Jet Travis 03-02-08 05:20 PM

Ah, Grasshopper, you have learned much. Notably, that when it comes to bicycles, orange is the true color.

Digital Gee 03-02-08 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 6265519)
You'll need to learn mountain bike lingo now.

One of your trail shots showed death cookies and baby heads. They are not so easy to travel on. And wait until they get a little wet :eek:

Death cookies? :eek:

Baby heads? :eek:

Mind 'splaining?

Jet Travis 03-02-08 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 6265786)
Death cookies? :eek:

Baby heads? :eek:

Mind 'splaining?

http://www.singletracktreks.com/slang.htm

rm -rf 03-02-08 05:47 PM

That's great to be able to ride to the trails.

From the Urban Dictionary:

Baby heads:
From mountain biking: A roundish rock, about the size and shape of a baby's head. Avoid running over it, or risk crashing.

Dude, did you see all those baby heads back there?

Death cookies:
Mountain biking term
Fist-sized rocks that knock your bike in every direction but the one you want to proceed in. Smaller than babyheads, but still annoying

"That trail was covered with death cookies. I think i bent my rims"

Yen 03-02-08 05:55 PM

Great pics! That's a great-looking bike. I'm glad to see you're back in the saddle again.

Digital Gee 03-02-08 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 6265659)
DG, I fear that if there are many more posts such as yours my
laziness may vacate the premisis and I may actually get back on the
The Beast.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Do it!

Digital Gee 03-02-08 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 6265767)
Ah, Grasshopper, you have learned much. Notably, that when it comes to bicycles, orange is the true color.

You know, it's funny. I've spent a few hour in the LBS looking at MTBs. I don't like 'em in white. I like 'em in bright colors, like yellow, or woodsy colors, like olive green. But right now, orange rules in my house, at least in the MTB category. :D

cranky old dude 03-02-08 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 6266079)
You know, it's funny. I've spent a few hour in the LBS looking at MTBs. I don't like 'em in white. I like 'em in bright colors, like yellow, or woodsy colors, like olive green. But right now, orange rules in my house, at least in the MTB category. :D

Make mine BLACK.
Agressive, determined, defiant black.

The Beast is black and if I ever replace it, the replacement will
be black.

Beverly 03-02-08 06:17 PM

What a great place to ride. I wish I could find something like that around here.

rae 03-02-08 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6266140)
What a great place to ride. I wish I could find something like that around here.

Beverly, have you tried Ceasar's Creek or John Bryan state parks? They aren't too far from you, I think.

maddmaxx 03-02-08 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 6266079)

I'm sure that we could get Solveg to tell us that orange is really white with a bit of a different tint to it ;)

divingbiker 03-02-08 08:03 PM

Oh, this makes me want to get out on my MTB again! You know, if you never do anything more technical than the trail you rode today, you can still have a ball. It really is a lot of fun.

BluesDawg 03-02-08 08:28 PM

Welcome to the dark side! :D
You're off to a good start. Watch out. It can be addictive and expensive if you let it.

Better give that bike butler a good talking to. MTBing can be strenuous. You'll need all the water you can drink. A camelbak might be a good idea if you start doing longer rides. There aren't too many convenience stores out on the trails.

BTW, unless you actually plan to ride that bike on the road in the dark, get those reflectors off those wheels before someone sees them. ;)

spry 03-02-08 11:45 PM

A wise choice Gary.The old guy in the hooded black cape with a sickle loves geezers who give up cycling.
Don,t forget that moutain lion repellent while tooling around those hills.
Moutain lion repellent=a geezer partner who rides slower than you.

spry 03-02-08 11:48 PM

sorry Dee(mountain)....to muchOhio hockey playoffs clouding my mind now

Mojo Slim 03-03-08 12:03 AM

Gotta admit the bike is pretty cool looking. Just the right amount of desheveled devil-may-care j'nais se quois. Thanks for posting.

tom cotter 03-03-08 07:08 AM

Glad you had a good time. You are lucky to have such a great trail so close to home.

About the bug droves. You're looking at it the wrong way. First, any bug that you bite before it bites you is one less bug to worry about. And that's a good thing! Secondly, bugs are great protein. Eat enough, leave the power bars at home. It's all part of the wilderness experience. Watch a few episodes of Survivorman and you'll start to come around.

Congrats on taking your biking to another level.

Beverly 03-03-08 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by rae (Post 6266749)
Beverly, have you tried Ceasar's Creek or John Bryan state parks? They aren't too far from you, I think.

I've been to the new MOMBA trails here but haven't been to the other parks. I'm hoping to get to them this year.

Jet Travis 03-03-08 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim (Post 6268354)
Gotta admit the bike is pretty cool looking. Just the right amount of desheveled devil-may-care j'nais se quois. Thanks for posting.

As women swoon and young girls sigh. The bike is simply a reflection of the man.