Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    In all the posts I've read on BF, these are the only two I remember about thumb joint pain. Any one else get this? I'm having trouble even imagining it, since the thumbs aren't really being used particuarly much, and on road bikes you can access the brakes 2 different ways.

I mean, at least with me, the thumbs only close to make bars more secure in the crook of my hand... I don't really have to clench my thumbs. In fact, I could do a lot of braking with my thumbs extended.

I see Yen attributes it to resting on the brifter hoods, which I don't do a lot of, but Tom doesn't use road bars.
    When setting up the aero base bar on the TT bike I discovered that thumb joint pain seemed to be assosciated with the hands trying to slide forward (thus causing me to grip too tightly or adjust constantly) on what would be hoods on your road bar. A small rotational adjustment to bring the bar ends/hoods slightly more vertical solved the problem.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    BSLeVan: You're right, that's totally counter-intuitive....I can't imagine it. It seems that the more upright one sits, the less the hands would need to support the upper body. Although maybe that depends on the angle.

With time I think you'll find yourself using the back/stomach muscles to support yourself and not the hands I've found tipping the nose of the saddle slightly up relieves most of the pressure off the hands. You don't want to get it tipped too much....that just causes other problems.

A good pair of gloves is a must. I use these and love them.

Good luck with the test rides. It sounds like a lot of fun.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, if you can, the next time you ride, slide farther back on the saddle and you'll find,you'll hardly have any weight on your hands at all.
    George

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 3" or 4" riser handlebar will reduce the weight on your hands!!!

Or a long stem extender.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12