Thread: creaky knees?

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

creaky knees?

Anyone ever notice funny noises coming from their knees? Especially after a ride?
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

My Bikes
    1982 Steve Bauer road bike, 1985 Custom Campy road bike, 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Norco Bigfoot MTB, 1975 Raleigh Twenty folder, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knees used to creak a lot, especially when going down the stairs. They would be really sore the day after a ball hockey game. I've been taking Glucosamine Sulphate the last 4 years, no knee problems at all.
    ...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creaky knees are not a problem. Try ITB problems.

My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Glucosamine & chondroitin.

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of my knees make all manner of popping, clicking, crunching and/or grinding noises, especially when it's cold outside. I'm hoping that the right knee will be much quieter and smoother now, since the surgeon told my wife that during my surgery this morning, besides trimming up my torn meniscus and removing the bone/cartilage/ whatever chips and chunks, they also took out the arthritis from that knee as well. Physical therapy starts tomorrow; that's when I'll find out when I can start riding again, I guess.
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to have noises coming from all the areas of my body.
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old Knee injury that 20 years ago stopped all physical activity- 17 years ago I took up cycling. The one exercise that I found I could do without pain.

I may be wierd- But If I do not get out on the bike every week-I will have knee joint problems. They will creak- and grind and worst of all- They will hurt. One thing I never do- is to run or jog. That will put strain on the joint and I will be in pain. I have an active job and I do find that I can walk upstairs all day long if necessary- But after a lot of activity- by the end of the day- Walking down stairs could be painfull.

I don't take any supplements- but Keeping active and keeping the knees working does help. Now if only I could find something like that for the Tennis elbow that has come in the last couple of months- I would be laughing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knees and elbows have snapped and crackled since I was a teenager. And they get worse every year. Each of my knees must "pop" 20-30 times a day.

Had pain in both, getting progressively worse, until I started using Gluco/Chron about 7-8 years ago. Much better ever since. But they are still noisy.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I have an old Knee injury that 20 years ago stopped all physical activity- 17 years ago I took up cycling. The one exercise that I found I could do without pain.

I may be wierd- But If I do not get out on the bike every week-I will have knee joint problems. They will creak- and grind and worst of all- They will hurt. One thing I never do- is to run or jog. That will put strain on the joint and I will be in pain. I have an active job and I do find that I can walk upstairs all day long if necessary- But after a lot of activity- by the end of the day- Walking down stairs could be painfull.

I don't take any supplements- but Keeping active and keeping the knees working does help. Now if only I could find something like that for the Tennis elbow that has come in the last couple of months- I would be laughing.
    My knees hurt if I don't take Vitamin "E". 1600 units most of the time.
    Glucosamine & chondroitin didn't help at All.
    I am almost sixty six years old. Have done lots of walking in my time.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine creak, crack, snap and pop all the time. I've had one surgery on the left and five on the right, including an ACL reconstruction, and am biding my time till I have the next round. Therefore, I'm not good for use as a background sample for this question. I'm glad only one of my four boys played football.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies when I walk.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll try Glucosamine and vitamin E, anything is worth a try.
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas