Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Work stand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work stand

What work stands really work without damaging the bike?
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon / Kona PhD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Park Tool PCS-10. Clamp it to the seat post - no problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was an easier question before the days of carbon fiber frames and seatposts.

The Park PCS-20, 21 and 23 all fit the no damage bill.

http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=23

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cheap Park PCS-9, which works well if one uses caution, common sense, and a rag around the clamp site.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Ultimate Pro stand, Works great, not too cheap at $200, looks really nice in hot red anodize Al.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Ultimate Sport Repair Stand. At $159 at REI, it's not all that expensive http://www.rei.com/product/752335. I've learned a few things that make the stand more friendly for carbon bikes. 1. Take off excess items that add weight (water bottles, seat bags, etc.) This way the bike is light enough that you don't have to tighten the clamp to the point where you risk crushing the carbon fiber. 2) clamp onto the seatpost instead of the seat tube.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I just lucky. Have used Ultimate, Minoura bench mounted stand, Sette Torx brand on carbon seatposts, frames and never had any damage. You are going to get on a jet airplane made of carbon fiber but it is not strong enough to put in a bike stand?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Am I just lucky. Have used Ultimate, Minoura bench mounted stand, Sette Torx brand on carbon seatposts, frames and never had any damage. You are going to get on a jet airplane made of carbon fiber but it is not strong enough to put in a bike stand?
    No- But I will change my £80 C.F. seat post for an old Ally one before I clamp my Work stand to it.

Use the PBK Stand and it works. But not the best around.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Ultimate pro. (Got 2 of 'em, one for the garage and one for the basement.....)
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    No- But I will change my £80 C.F. seat post for an old Ally one before I clamp my Work stand to it.
    +1
    I keep several old spare aluminum posts around just for that reason. I still use an ancient Park work stand - never worry about clamping it on a steel frame but would not consider it on a carbon bike or post.

According to Specialized, clamping the frame itself using any stand with a conventional clamp can cause damage which may or may not be visible and could lead to injury or death. This may be legal hyperbole to limit warranty and personal injury liability but I have no desire to risk damaging a high dollar frame needlessly. If I were buying another stand now I would look at the style that supports the bottom bracket without a clamp.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bell strap on the trunk car rack that I put in my large vise and then just set the top tube on the bracket like you would normally put it on the rack. My wife bought it at a yard sale for $5.00. Someday I will get a real stand but for everything but removing a crank it works just fine for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks for the help. Park and Ultimate are the two to look for.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also have the PC-9. When doing light work like derailleur adjustments or brake adjustments I will clamp the top tube very lightly with padding. Heavier work requires clamping the seat tube. Bottom brackets and serious torque mean that the bike goes into a floor stand on its tires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old Park PRS-6 that I use for most steel bikes. Also have a cheap Performance workstand for use with aluminum frames. Carbon fiber frames? Well thats a whole new can of worms, I've never worked on one.