Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+'rs, Challenges and Brain Plasticity

50+'rs, Challenges and Brain Plasticity

I have been watching a very interesting special on PBS regrading plasticity of the human brain.

It appears that if the brain is constantly challenged with new things to do and figure out, that a couple of neuro transmitters or chemicals (whatever) are released that increases the plasticity and growth of the brain.

However, just doing the same old thing does not. So, if a person reads books every night, it does not necessarily increase plasticity unless the book required new thoughts and challenges.

I can remember some 35 years ago when we took our youngest son to a place in Philadelphia called the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential, where they prescribed intensive physical therapies to alleviate brain damage. The program was carried out in the home by volunteers 7 days per week 13 hours per day. We continued this program for 6 years in CO, then Il and then CO again.

The program was highly controversial and pooh-poohed by the MD's and others, who believed the brain was a fixed piece of protoplasm, and could not be changed. In fact, my advisor for my doctorate told me the same thing - the brain is an unchangeable organ.

At that time, I kept wondering about the therapy given stroke victims. If what everyone said was true, then why were there physical and occupational and speech therapists giving therapy to stroke victims - essentially giving brain therapy, as a stroke is in the brain, not the limbs or speech affected?

In any event, Andy made some good progress in that program

So, anyway, folks, keep your challenges coming into your life - it will keep your brain growing and "plastic." There is actual physical evidence (the chemicals they find in the brain) that can be found.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-03-08 at 06:43 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, DF! I guess the challenge is getting comfortable with challenges! When I'm stressed, I fantasize about running away someplace where neither of us has to work, we can ride our bikes, he can do tai chi and make the woodshop he's always talked about, I can oil paint and knit, two cats in the yard, and all that. Guess making that fantasy come true is a nail in the coffin.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is fascinatimg and good news. I suffer from brain lesions and maybe if my life continues to be as challenged as it is my good cells will continue to out pace the bad ones.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thought DF. This is another reminder that, no matter how much it may hurt, life is basically a use it or lose it deal.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b3XcNENTLk

Here is the DVD if interested:

The Brain Fitness Program DVD ($24.95, shipped by 02/01/08)

"This program presents a workout to help viewers get their brains in better shape. The Brain Fitness Program is based on neuro-plasticity, the ability of the brain to change and adapt — even rewire itself. In the past two years, a team of scientists has developed computer-based stimulus sets that drive beneficial chemical, physical and functional changes in the brain. Dr. Michael Merzenich of the University of California San Francisco and his colleagues around the world have been leading this effort; he brings the research findings, along with a scientifically based set of brain exercises, to PBS viewers in this innovative and life-altering program. Peter Coyote (pictured) narrates. "
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding in Los Angeles traffic seems to really stretch my brain...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to try world travel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read similar research on the brain and aging. Your post, however, made me think that I should, in the spirit of the research, start posting in some of the other BF forums too! Where to start? What would be the most different and/or challenging compared to the 50+ forum?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, this means that riding fast, twisty, technical singletrack is turning my brain to plastic? I can believe that.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Ones with two wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I've read similar research on the brain and aging. Your post, however, made me think that I should, in the spirit of the research, start posting in some of the other BF forums too! Where to start? What would be the most different and/or challenging compared to the 50+ forum?
    Try the VC forum under Advocacy and Safety. If that one doesn't tax both your thinking and your patience, forget it!

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    I'm going to try world travel.

Brilliant! My plan also...( so of course, that makes it a brilliant one...)

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Script View Post
    Try the VC forum under Advocacy and Safety. If that one doesn't tax both your thinking and your patience, forget it!

Thanks for the miles of smiles. You are catching on...

My Bikes
    Ones with two wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Thanks for the miles of smiles. You are catching on...

Do I detect an effort at behavior modification???

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you don't add additional cells to your brain you can certainly loose the ones you have and rewire them in different ways. I think there is plenty of evidence that an active mind keeps ones body healthy and an inactive mind degrades health. Just like muscles if you don't use the cells the body uses the principle of conservation of energy and starts to reduce them.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I detect an effort at behavior modification???

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post

P & R?

Classic and Vintage? Lots to remember...

SoCal is kinda like Lord of the Flies...if you prefer those machinations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And. most importantly, your logistical skills!

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firm believer here that NEW challenges are good brain exercise. And it can be as simple as brushing your teeth with the other hand (try it). Embrace new games, try to keep up with your kids trends, buy a smartphone (and figure it out), try a new hobby, play golf, exercise, take public transportation, play guitar hero, switch to a left handed mouse, replace your favorite home clock with a backwards one (or a binary one), invent something, learn another language, play ping-pong left handed (try blindfolded), take chances, make mistakes, get messy......
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or the ultimate challenge, ...switch to Windows Vista

My Bikes
    Ones with two wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    or the ultimate challenge, ...switch to Windows Vista
    It's certainly possible to challenge ones self without resorting to punishment!

My Bikes
    [redacted]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent.
    However, speaking for the majority of Americans -playing devil's advocate here-
    what drugs are available to plasticize the brain?
    "We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yakmurph View Post
    Excellent.
    However, speaking for the majority of Americans -playing devil's advocate here-
    what drugs are available to plasticize the brain?
    Crack cocaine.

Oh wait. That's to pureé the brain. My bad.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I saw the same program. I think that they said that 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week would grow new neurons. So we will all be much smarter next year. Again exercise has benefits which are unbelievable. Maybe exercise will be the cure for cancer and who knows what else.

Space Dust
    My Bikes
    Old DF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If exercise was a cure for cancer my wife never would have been sick. She did everything right according to the "experts" and had no family history. From what I have seen those, this is good for your health, this is bad, or this helps avoid cancer, or this causes cancer are all a crock of manure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque1st View Post
    If exercise was a cure for cancer my wife never would have been sick. She did everything right according to the "experts" and had no family history. From what I have seen those, this is good for your health, this is bad, or this helps avoid cancer, or this causes cancer are all a crock of manure.
    One of the sad side effects of the "take responsibility for you health" kick is that often people forget that disease is not punishment for not taking care of yourself. As it seems you know all too painfully, people get sick even when they do everything "right". It is very unfortunate that we're reached the point where many people think those who are ill did something wrong. While I can see the value of having folks participate in health seeking behaviors, I wish we had enough money in research to speed up the process of eliminating many, many diseases.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.