Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-08, 09:40 PM   #1
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First real ride on the Pilot 1.0

Since I got the Trek (used), I had only taken it out around the block a few times, & took it to the LBS (Trek dealer) for a going-over & fitting adjustments. Today it was 70F & I had the day off, so it was a good time to start getting used to it.

My neighborhood is one of the few in Columbus that has some hills; although only .05 to .2 miles in duration as the streets run into & out of the creek ravine they are a little steep. So I was able to practice shifting with the brifters & triple (this one makes it easier...no, wait, that's way harder!) and got about 12 miles in. I think that the seat is still a tad low, I was feeling it in my knees a bit, and at about mile 10 the rear brake started really rubbing --I had to flip the release up to loosen it for the rest of the way home. Any ideas what happened there?

Overall it was a nice ride & felt good to be out in sunshine...The wind was starting to gust so that I had to pedal even on the downhills (winter is coming back tonight). I can't say that this is the perfect bike for me but it will be a pretty good first bike as I transition into riding more, I think. It was easy to handle & sure feels different on those hills than the target bike that I rode last year --not that they were easy to me!!
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 10:23 PM   #2
conurejade
flying on 2 wheels

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur
Definitely have the LBS check out the brake thing - also keep fine tuning the fit until it's right. My friend has a Pilot 1.2 and she likes hers alot.
conurejade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 10:51 PM   #3
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rae View Post
Since I got the Trek (used), I had only taken it out around the block a few times, & took it to the LBS (Trek dealer) for a going-over & fitting adjustments. Today it was 70F & I had the day off, so it was a good time to start getting used to it.

I think that the seat is still a tad low, I was feeling it in my knees a bit, and at about mile 10 the rear brake started really rubbing --I had to flip the release up to loosen it for the rest of the way home. Any ideas what happened there?
Frayed cable hanging up in the housing? Worn out return spring? I'm sure the
LBS can sort this all out.

Sounds like you're off to a good start though.
Happy Trails.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 11:23 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Could be the wheel is out of true or maybe installed off center somehow.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote