Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back into riding (Trek vs. Giant)...

I was a very avid cyclist, about 25 years ago, but things have changed a great deal since then. Even at 61, I’m still in very good shape so I want to get a “fairly” decent bike. I’ve narrowed my choice down to two different 2008 road bikes; the Trek 2.3, or the Giant (Alliance) OCR A0. The $1,700 to $1,900 range is, basically, the most I want to spend. I’d, really, appreciate any advice (or any kind of input) anyone may have about these bikes, or any other bikes in that price range. Thanks…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with that kindo f budget, I would look elsewhere-- everyone seems to have a Trek or a Giant or a Spcialized-- look for more exotic--There are lots of bikes out there in that range, and you won't ber disappointed in any-- My feeling is to not 'go with the flow' but to be a little different...

I personally have an Orbea that is not one of their 'flagship' models, but rather a short production run of a mix between a TT bike and a road bike-- made of Starship ALuminum, carbon fork, Ultegra-- great bike-- My 'most used' bike si a KHS fixie-- steel, heavy, but loads of fun.

Check several bike shoops and see what they have available-- decide on the component gruppo you want, and go from there-

best of luck--

train safe-

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may be disapointed with the OCR. But the TCR alliance or Composite range is a different matter. Of the two I would go for the TCR A1 or A0. Can't talk about the treks.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...ad/1237/29255/
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I might be trying out an OCR C3 this weekend... if so, I'll let you know what I think.
    Sure, it's carbon and you're looking at aluminum but what the heck?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's Specialized, and there's everyone else.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trek 2,3 is a decent bike. I would get the triple crank version.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my CF OCR.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I know which one I would buy I have 3 Treks and will be adding another soon.

Test ride both to determine the best one for you. Are they both available from the same LBS? The LBS often plays a major role in the purchase of a bike. I wouldn't trade my LBS as the service and advice is first rate.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing is . . . a lot of the TREK's are actually made by GIANT.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question.... Are both of the bikes your looking at from the same shop? For me, the shop would have as much to do with my decision as the particular bike. After a 25 year layoff there is a good chance that the bike you buy will be one you either outgrow pretty quickly, or you'll stop riding. Hence, I'd want to focus my decision on finding a great shop that will be helpful to me in keeping me riding.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the bikes you are considering will meet your needs. There are no poorly made bikes in your price range. That said, there are many wrong choices. rather than buy the bike we like best, it's important that you buy the bike you like best. Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Lemond, Specialized, Fuji, Litespeed, Merlin, and many many more. All good, and maybe all wrong. The way to find out which is best for you is to go to shops that have these bikes and test ride as many as possible. But you've already figured thart part out.

The one piece of useful advice I will offer is this; make sure the bike fits you. I know that sounds like a "Dah" statement but you'd be surprised how many people buy bikes that don't fit. How? How much time do you have to read? Fit will make or break your biking re-entry, regardless of the price of the bike.

Good luck!
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing. Even though you are in good shape, one concession to age might be that you are not as flexible as you once were. While getting low on the drops of the road bikes in question might look like fun, I guarantee you that the actual experience will be anything but if the bars are too low. Most of us, in this group, but not all, want the bars set at seat height or higher. Small adjustments in this area make a big difference in comfort. If setting the handle bar height is a concern, make sure the bikes you are considering can accommodate the adjustments. Swapping components only goes so far. If the needed adjustment is too much, you are out of luck. Take from experience, it's better to figure this out before you write the check.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texasboy112 View Post
    I was a very avid cyclist, about 25 years ago, but things have changed a great deal since then. Even at 61, I’m still in very good shape so I want to get a “fairly” decent bike. I’ve narrowed my choice down to two different 2008 road bikes; the Trek 2.3, or the Giant (Alliance) OCR A0. The $1,700 to $1,900 range is, basically, the most I want to spend. I’d, really, appreciate any advice (or any kind of input) anyone may have about these bikes, or any other bikes in that price range. Thanks…
    That's great, I hope you find a good deal. You may have an 25+ year old bike or two, maybe a Paramount, Colnago, Geurcerotti, or other old technology steel frame. I'll help you out by offering $100 each.

Stop by the Classic and Vintage forum sometime, were we appreciate bikes that age as well as we do.

In the meantime, welcome to the 50+ forum, welcome back to cycling, and keep us informed.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page