Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of World is Imminent

The end of the world could happen at any moment, for I, even I, Tom Bombadil, have finally broken down and purchased a brand new bicycle.

They said it couldn't be done.

They said the universe would collapse onto itself.

They said there would be a warm day in Wisconsin in January.

They said DG would turn over in his grave.

Yet it still happened. I couldn't hold out any longer. Between the enjoyment I had in test riding on the bike, combined with its dwindling availability and yet another price drop on it, I had to pull the trigger.

It's the 2006 Fuji Absolute 1.0 (V2) that I've posted about before. A largely road-oriented flat bar hybrid. They were down to the last 2 in my size and the prices were dropped for a clearance sale this week. I'm having them swap some of the parts, it should be available to be picked up in a couple of days.

The particulars:

Aluminum frame with carbon fork & carbon seat stays

Swapped out aluminum seat post for carbon post

10-speed Shimano 105 drivetrain w/105 derailleurs, 12-27 cassette, and Shimano SL-R770 rapid fire shifters (which normally sell for $150-$180)

Truvativ Elita Giga X-pipe 52/39/30 crankset with 170mm crank arms (being swapped onto bike from a smaller frame Fuji)

Conti Contact 700x32 tires (swapped out the stock Vittoria 700x28s)

Weight: 20.5 pounds

Color: "Quicksilver" which is a very light silver - not my favorite but okay.

Lifetime warranty on bike (except for tires, saddle, grips).

Two free tuneups, no expiration date

Lifetime free adjustments and installations of accessories.

Final price, including all swaps: $794. Original list in 2006 was $1210, before dollar devaluation and, obviously, not including the upgrades.

No pics, here's what Fuji had on their web page in 2006.

I was stuck wavering between this bike and a modded Specialized Globe Pro. Liked both bikes a lot. The Globe is a more rugged bike. The Globe has mountain bike components and lower gearing, but weighed a whopping 5 pounds more, even with carbon fork, stays, and seat post.

In the end I decided to go with the bike that was more fun riding on asphalt than the one that was more all-purpose. I already have two all-purpose bikes & the Fuji is decent on rough surfaces.

I will be swapping out the stem and handlebars after I get it home - for a stem that is a bit shorter and higher and for bars with a bit of rise (37.5 mm).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 03-05-08 at 11:24 AM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will likely be no immediate "first ride report." I've got a bad cold / touch of the flu and will be in North Carolina for most of next week. So it is unlikely I'll have any chance to ride it until around the 20th.

I've already taken 3 test rides on it and it has a wonderfully smooth ride. I rode several other flat-bar bikes in the $1000-$1500 price range and it was easily the smoothest ride of the lot. To the point of me not believing it was so much smoother than a couple competitors until I rode each of them three times.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A very nice bike and price. After all of the testing an riding, it is probably the best pick you could make. Its almost white in the picture which will please some of the local gentry.

OK everyone..................since Tom's going to North Carolina, what are you going to do with that extra warm day.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I can't believe it!

It's very cool. You're going to look like a roadie on that! No dork disk or pedal reflectors for you!

Congratulations!!!!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There actually is a dork disc ... it is almost the exactly same size as the 27t cog on the cassette. Hard to notice it unless you are looking for it.

Having it there gives inner peace to my Fredness.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also thought long and hard about building up a Gunnar Rock Tour. But when this bike was $800 and the Gunnar turned out to be $2300, and when my test rides on the Fuji vs a Gunnar Rock Hound turned up that the Fuji's ride was a little better, I just couldn't justify dropping the extra $1500.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It rocks! Tom, you told me I would like the Specialized Sirrus Comp when I bought it and you were right on with that one, I love it. I am sure you did your homework and got the right bike for you. Good luck with it, looking forward to the ride reports. Did you notice in the post the bike looke white?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will miss the nice plastic chain protector that was on the Specialized Globe. I liked that. Eliminated the need for a Fred pants strap.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't turn over in my grave. Not yet. Hope you don't know something I don't know!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost white!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    It's almost white!
    One of the reasons why it is relatively lightweight is due to the low pigment count.

Likewise probably half of the extra five pounds on the Globe was its dark gray paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats.

Anxiously awaiting pics and first ride report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, it looks like you got a lot of bike for the money, Tom. Congratulations.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I also thought long and hard about building up a Gunnar Rock Tour. But when this bike was $800 and the Gunnar turned out to be $2300, and when my test rides on the Fuji vs a Gunnar Rock Hound turned up that the Fuji's ride was a little better, I just couldn't justify dropping the extra $1500.

Congrats!

And with the $1500 you "saved," you're buying what next?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unbelievable! I was beginning to think this day would never come. Nice looking bike.

Darn....all these new bikes and I don't have one
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking ride, Tom. Congrats. Waiting for the ride report around the 20th...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One oddity about this bike is that it is the only 19" (MTB-sizing) bike that fit me. I ride a 17.5" Trek which fits me well. Nearly every other model I rode that fit was 17" - 18". But the Fuji 17" was too small, wherein this 19" was a near perfect fit. A 19" MTB is roughly equivalent to a 58 cm in road sizing, which is always way too big for me.

So it goes that you can never rely on the manufacturer's frame size as the be-all and end-all fitting guide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great bike, Tom. Now that you have saved $1500 it's time for some ancillaries. How about some titanium tire irons and a CF pump?

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 21" 05 Absolute, which was marketed under Fuji's roadbikes that year. The pic below is when it was just a couple of weeks old, with a Brooks Flyer and bar extensions. Mine is an all aluminum frame and fork, and was originally SRAM 8 speed cassette with Alex's lowest aero rims. I broke a spoke within a month of buying it.

Right now it is running 9 speed XT shifters and cassette with Ultegra hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims. It has about 3000 miles on it. I took it to Indiana for TRIRI last year. For me, it was the right bike at the right time.

I've never had it over 42 mph, but it was steady as a rock. Fuji has been building bikes longer than Henry has been building Fords.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 03-04-08 at 07:34 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the new ride and the good deal, Tom. I am very satisfied with my Fuji. It's within a couple of weeks of being a year old (with me), and I've had nary a problem.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ... so that's what a Brooks Flyer looks like on an Absolute.

I was just looking at one of those a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the kind words all. I know this bike is not everyone's cup of tea. In fact, upper end flat-bar road bikes sell much better in England than the USA, so I suspect some are scratching their heads. Hey, it may not work out for me, but if it doesn't, I got such a good price that I wouldn't lose much if I end up selling it. So it's a shot at having some fun at relatively low risk.

Soon all of the configuration tweaking will begin. Handlebars, stems, saddle, saddle position, grips, bar ends, etc., etc. That will take a lot of rides to get right.

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White is right; best o' luck with that beauty!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this bike is not everyone's cup of tea. In fact, upper end flat-bar road bikes sell much better in England than the USA, so I suspect some are scratching their heads.
    You could always take it to England and ride with Stapfam

I've never been swayed too much by other people's opinions when it comes to buying something I want.....including bikes. We buy the bikes for ourselves and we're the only ones we need to please. I do count on the LBS owner to keep me from buying or changing something on the bike that won't work.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Tom, sounds like you got a great deal on a very nice bike. I hope you enjoy many comfortable miles on it. You should consider hiring yourself out as a "personal shopper". Your analytical and number-crunching abilities amaze me.

I've been gone only a day... DG's in the grave?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They said DG would turn over in his grave.
    (So we remember what Yen is referring to....)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast