Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It is done at last.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It is done at last.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 06:35 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
It is done at last.

4 complete rebuilds since Christmas and finally it fits, makes sense (sort of) and I can survive it. The White Rabbit is done at last. Here it is in glorious color (white) and not so glorious color as I didn't have the auto white balance on for the non flash work.

Picture 2 shows the third brake lever for those who are aerobar cowards
Picture 3 shows the magic combiner that allows 2 levers to control the front brake

Picture 4 is a potential project name for a future Solveg bicycle. "The Flying Squirrel"

The elbow cups are about 8cm below the mean saddle level (bars are lower still........gasp) This is about as low as I can go at this time and age. We'll see after some considerable riding if lower is possible. A better level of fitness than so far achieved will be necessary but at this point I can ride and breath. Now the serious training begins.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-04-08, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking good, enjoy.
Old 03-04-08, 06:53 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Rocky, Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 03-05-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-04-08, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Glad to see your hard work paying off. Aside from all the kidding we do here, I've always wanted a white bike. That baby looks faaaaast.
Old 03-04-08, 07:16 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Nice work.
Old 03-04-08, 08:09 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what are your plans for this speed demon?

And tell me about that fork, it looks interesting.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 03-04-08 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 08:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A very cool bike.
Old 03-04-08, 08:17 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike!

What races will you be entering

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-04-08, 09:49 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike! Would you mind telling me more about it? What kind of bike is this beauty and where did you start?
Old 03-04-08, 10:14 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! Did I miss the story of this bike???? "The White Rabbit" explains a lot! Why 4 rebuilds?

It is just very, very cool!
Old 03-04-08, 10:33 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wowwwwww..... very nice.
Old 03-05-08, 12:07 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
White!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-05-08, 06:42 AM
Boomer

I originally started the project last year on a whim based on the idea that the aerobar setup would make a comfortable long distance bike. (you do not have to expend much energy holding yourself up as your upper arm bone structure does that work). Failed miserably due to inability to adapt to aerobar steering. ( I do not like to fail at anything so a period of study and meditation "not medication" followed). The road bike was too large for the aerobar setup, in fact it was too large for a drop bar setup having been sized originally as a flat bar road bike. (you will have seen several posts on odd things like bike fit math etc which resulted from the study)

The frame is a Leader Bikes 54cm 720TT entry level tri-bike frame with a true 78deg seat tube for a "rider rotated forward" position. This maintains some level of clearance between the tops of the thighs and the chest/stomach while laying down on the bars. First noticable change is that your knees will be forward of the "knee over pedal position" everyone knows. Feels like being in the standing position well forward on a road bike except that you are not standing. The bulk of the fittings on the bike are normal road bike. The fork Tom is a cheap aero (mild aero) fork from PZ Racing of China in "white carbon" (actually silver). The crankset is at present a Compact Double external bearing crank so that I can change up easily to a regular double when I think I can pull that much gear. I do not live in flat land so TT training will need a little more gear than normal. The aero bar setup is a cludge of Profile Design parts resulting in a very short/high riding position as a concession to age and conditioning. The position can be easly lowered as time passes by moving some of the built in 50cm of spacers from below the bar to above the bar. The position can be lengthened by changing out 2 parts, the central extensions with the bar end shifters installed. If too uncomfortable the position can be moved rearward with more offset on the seatpost. Using a special offset seatpost could return this frame to almost road normal proportions. There is a 3rd brake lever up on the aero bar extensions that has reduced braking force and is combined with the normal front brake lever so that you can slow or drag the brake going into corners or downhill without the sometimes shaky move back to the regular levers from the aero position.

The multiple rebuilds resulted from the compromises of fitting an aging body to a full bore racing position and so far the benefit has been an education into many aspects of fitting a bike to a body as a practical matter over and above the standard rule of thumb methods. Everything, even the mounting of brake cables inside the bars takes on extra dimensions and difficulty.

On the trainer, the bike is comfortable. I did not think that I would be able to get even this low (I am presently hovering in the area of the very top of all of the calculated bar positions). The bars could easly be another 8cm down for a more flexable fit rider. If nothing else, its a hell of a trainer bike as I can already ride faster longer than before.

There are several others here in 50+ who ride this type of bike. (Hermes, Cleave and I believe Jppe) They are awsome machines, purpose built for aero. They are not however just something you can throw together from spare parts and expect to feel comfortable. The learning curve is difficult. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the bike performs in ocean front style headwinds this summer. I also expect that there are more modifications to come.

And finally.......yes DG it had to be "White" if for no other reason than the name.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-05-08 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 07:28 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still missed the original post somewhere or did you keep this a secret the whole time? I can't believe* you were able to keep it a secret!
Old 03-05-08, 07:46 AM
Boomer

Moi, keep secrets...............

Much of my original trials were under to post "The White Rabbit, an e-commerce bike" or some similar title that I now forget.
Old 03-05-08, 07:56 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That was an interesting thread! I'm sorry I missed it the first time.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t=white+rabbit

Can't find the "name of the beast" thread, though, which talks about White Rabbit's name but which does not promote revolution.

(Ah! Found it! What's up with the crazy search engines on BF, anyway?)
Old 03-05-08, 08:28 AM
Boomer

One more design parameter that I am proud of. The primary brake levers are not TT levers. They are 24mm cyclocross levers clamped over the bars, not inserted into them. Why............because in the practical world I wanted some more empty bar ends for seemingly important things like a mirror. ( not present in the pictures.....I already know what that wall looks like) Yes.....a mirror.....in my world you spend more time on training rides than racing rides (possibly an infinate ratio) and personal survival ranks right up there on my priority list.
Old 03-05-08, 11:07 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Moi, keep secrets...............

Much of my original trials were under to post "The White Rabbit, an e-commerce bike" or some similar title that I now forget.
Another senior moment, no doubt.

Old 03-05-08, 11:12 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Another senior moment, no doubt.
what?
Old 03-05-08, 11:46 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If he comes flying down a street on that thing, he will earn his moniker.

Old 03-05-08, 12:40 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If "It's done at last," does that mean you're going to start looking for the next one to build? N+1 afterall?

Old 03-05-08, 01:11 PM
Boomer

Now I go back to the winter overhaul of the MTB which I will probably need for riding in a couple of weeks........................weather permitting. Just mount the new tires and it too will be done. Then we can think of a new N+1 project. Since the MTB is now configured for more off than on road I need to think about an all around do everything bike. Perhaps a no suspension lightweight MTB based something................ (in white, naturally). Project "Doormouse"