Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Your most embarrassing moment

So I was watching American Idol tonight, and each contestant had to tell their most embarrassing moment.

You know, that moment that happened 20 years ago but still makes you want to scream into your pillow when you think about it?

I'll start.

I called John Lee Hooker "Johnny Lee".

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one wants to play, eh? Chickens. I'll do one more before I give up....

When I was in first grade a boy lifted up my dress, and I had forgotten to wear underwear. I thought* the desk seat felt funny, but didn't know why that was....

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nn

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    No one wants to play, eh? Chickens. I'll do one more before I give up....

When I was in first grade a boy lifted up my dress, and I had forgotten to wear underwear. I thought* the desk seat felt funny, but didn't know why that was....
    Mine is similar.... in 4th grade I walked all the way to the front of the class from the back.... with the hem of the back of my skirt caught in the waistband.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok....I'll play.

When I was in high school we held pep rallies before the basketball games. I forgot the tights to my outfit and had to borrow a pair of the boy's basketball pants from the coach. He evidently didn't tell the boys who needed the pants. During the pep rally after I did a cartwheel one of the players stood up and shouted "Beverly was the one who forgot her pants":
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girls came through for me. They did not leave me hanging!

For that, here's one more!

Prom, 1978. In an era of big hair, my hair was the biggest. We went to a fancy restaurant, at the top of a hotel downtown Minneapolis. I don't remember what we ordered, but it was flambeau. I was laughing and talking, so the "flambeau" part took my surprise and and I startled. My hair caught on fire.

It just singed, but it singed bad, and the smell was unbelievable.

My Bikes
    [redacted]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My version (the truth):
    After locking the shop door -and forgetting to reset the alarm- I donned my helmet
    under the awning, zipped up my jacket, fished out my key, put the gloves on
    and dashed out into the dark, rainy night.....

The cop's version:
    Arriving on the scene -after dispatch informed us of an alarm- we saw the suspect,
    clad in a black leather jacket, jeans, full-face helmet and wearing gloves,
    fleeing the motorcycle shop on foot.

The frighteningly embarrassing part:
    The cop car slid to wet stop, just like in the movies, and both of the uniformed cops
    flung their doors open and, crouching for cover behind the open doors of the cruiser,
    .38 service pistols leveled at my heart, yelled,"FREEZE".

After my partner arrived and verified that I was who I said I was,
    and I did what I said I did, I was allowed to continue home.
    "We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I was watching American Idol tonight, and each contestant had to tell their most embarrassing moment.

You know, that moment that happened 20 years ago but still makes you want to scream into your pillow when you think about it?

I'll start.

FYI George Benson had a daughter and because he was inspired by John Lee Hooker, he named her Johnny Lee. So you could say you were talking about George Bensons daughter.
    PEte

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll start.

That's your most embarrassing moment?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In college asking someone why they kept referring to George Sand as "she." There are some from high school that I will never tell anyone

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, anyone else have an embarrassing Hooker story?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    That's your most embarrassing moment?
    He wasn't very friendly to begin with. And I was stuck with him in a basement for 2 hours afterwards. The look he gave me was scathing, and the looks on everyone else's face were...painful.

Now I'm going to go scream in my pillow.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been embarassed.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While working as a soccer ref in an indoor game (carpet over ice rink...no ice) I was backing up as the flow of play came toward me........whoops, tripped, started leaning over backwards farther and farther while my short little legs tried to keep up..........splat.

The only thing to do was get up, turn red and bow the the crowd in the stands. Laughter turned to applause. It would appear that its ok to make a fool of yourself if you do it gracefully.
    Just take it

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, maddmaxx, you're right. There is probably a strong correlation between being embarrassed with how much you want to be taken seriously at the moment.

Farting at home in front of the TV with friends is just not the same thing as farting at the podium of the PTA while giving a passionate speech about school lunches.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid my friends cute older brother was showing off his new turntable and albums.

I leaned over it to get a closer look and drooled on the spinning record...haha

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yakmurph View Post

The cop's version:
    Arriving on the scene -after dispatch informed us of an alarm- we saw the suspect,
    clad in a black leather jacket, jeans, full-face helmet and wearing gloves,
    fleeing the motorcycle shop on foot.

The frighteningly embarrassing part:
    The cop car slid to wet stop, just like in the movies, and both of the uniformed cops
    flung their doors open and, crouching for cover behind the open doors of the cruiser,
    .38 service pistols leveled at my heart, yelled,"FREEZE".
    After getting very drunk at a bar and running out of money, my friend and I went back in to the gas station where we worked to get more cash. We set off the silent alarm and in no time we had shotguns, *******s, unmarked units and even a helocopter outside!! The cops were very professional, and after seeing the two drunken fools in gas station uniforms, they just left.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    So, anyone else have an embarrassing Hooker story?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was doing a public presentation and wearing a wireless lapel microphone. We took a break, I went to the restroom, but forgot to take the micropone off or turn it off. Upon returning the person who introduced me asked, "How much coffee did you drink this morning?"
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

"Big old guy"
    My Bikes
    Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Embarrassing Moment. Last night I watched a few minutes of "American Idol". There I said it!
    The Older I Get, The Better I Was.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because embarrassment is the bedrock of reality TV, does not mean that we should have to submit ourselves. Or are you offering a million dollar prize and a big recording contract?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one wants to play, eh? Chickens.
    Not chicken, but I do have a constitutional right to not be compelled to embarrass myself by others.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't we embarrass ourselves enough here on a day by day basis?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote a masters thesis (psychology major) on embarrassment. I looked at the phenomenology on the constituents of embarrassment (that's how you have to say it when you write a thesis). Basically, I was trying to learn what the common thread in the experience of embarrassment is among people. To do the research, I had to get lots and lots of people to write down, in as much detail as they could, their experience of an embarrassing moment. What great stories!

Now, this was thirty years ago, so I don't remember too much of the results. I think there were about four things we all seem to have in common when we feel embarrassed, and they are:

1. Increased vasodilation (in other words, turning red in the face)
    2. An abrupt change in focus from the external world to the self
    3. An arousal of a desire to flee, hide, disappear, and
    4. An immediate and dramatic (temporary) loss of self esteem.

My research also suggested, but was unable to prove with any vigor that our sense of time gets distorted. The embarrassing moment seems to last a LOT longer than it really does.

I realize these all sound intuitive, but I was actually more interested in learning the research method than about embarrassment itself. It was a research style that came from a guy who's name now escapes me, who was trying to unpack what it means when we have the feeling of being understood. What, exactly, does that mean, he wondered? So he created a whole methodology of research that I wanted to replicate.

I have dozens of stories of embarrassing moments. The favorite that I witnessed, (and didn't actually do, thank goodness) occurred in a HUGE university dining hall. A coed entered the main room with a tray full of food, tripped, and did a belly slam on the floor. The sudden silence was deafening as everyone stopped mid-sentence or mid-bite to look at her and see what happened!

Her recovery was a classic example of grace under pressure. She picked up the tray, took a long look at the literally couple of hundred people staring at her, and did a curtsy. The room erupted into applause.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
    Most Embarrassing Moment. Last night I watched a few minutes of "American Idol". There I said it!
    There is nothing* on TV. I'm recovering from pneumonia. American Idol is the highlight of my stupified evenings right now....

But actually, I kinda like it. I liked it better when people weren't so good and forgot words. Then you really felt like it was live TV and anything could happen. But I usually forget about after a few weeks. This year I'm tivoing it. Because there's nothing else on!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast