Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The "DOH" syndrome

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The "DOH" syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 11:15 AM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "DOH" syndrome

Ok, I posted this on the bicycle mechanics forum but figure I need to share this here (being 65)
I'm restoring a 1981 Schwinn LeTour Tourist.
The oem wheelsets had hung from the ceiling rack for 3 years.
I'd removed a spoke from the drive and non drive side of the rear wheel, and tagged em for that time when ordering the spokes arrived.
Time came to order and I began running into one dead end after another trying to find 305mm/307mm 14 ga. spokes.
Despite having the spoke charts and despite Yellow Jerseys Tony Musi (amongst others) questioning the length for a 3cross lacing, I was 'sure' I had 3x lacing.
I set the rim on a backdrom to send some photos to YJ and several knowledgable wheelbuilders over at Bicycle_Restoration and still I failed to see the obvious.
Finally thru a guy at B_R I locate wheelsmith stainless spokes in 304/306 lengths and order em.
This morning, bright light of day, I walk into my bike room and -well the obvious couldn't have caught my eye any more intense had the spoke been gold plated.
4X lacing on the oem wheels.
I was only seeing the spoke crossing the spokes on the same side.
Yep, that loud smack everyone heard this morning,was my palm hitting my forehead.
Old 03-05-08, 11:29 AM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
Yep, that loud smack everyone heard this morning,was my palm hitting my forehead.
I think you have solved the buddhist koan, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" The sound is "Doh!"

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-05-08, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I'm chuckling because my middle name is "DOH". Remind me, some day, to tell you about the custom plate glass desk top that I measured and ordered.
Old 03-05-08, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I think you have solved the buddhist koan, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" The sound is "Doh!"
YES! Then I should be well on my way to enlightenment.
Old 03-05-08, 11:43 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
An old joke...........why do they have hunched shoulders and sloping foreheads. "I don't know..............Doh"