Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "DOH" syndrome

Ok, I posted this on the bicycle mechanics forum but figure I need to share this here (being 65)
    I'm restoring a 1981 Schwinn LeTour Tourist.
    The oem wheelsets had hung from the ceiling rack for 3 years.
    I'd removed a spoke from the drive and non drive side of the rear wheel, and tagged em for that time when ordering the spokes arrived.
    Time came to order and I began running into one dead end after another trying to find 305mm/307mm 14 ga. spokes.
    Despite having the spoke charts and despite Yellow Jerseys Tony Musi (amongst others) questioning the length for a 3cross lacing, I was 'sure' I had 3x lacing.
    I set the rim on a backdrom to send some photos to YJ and several knowledgable wheelbuilders over at Bicycle_Restoration and still I failed to see the obvious.
    Finally thru a guy at B_R I locate wheelsmith stainless spokes in 304/306 lengths and order em.
    This morning, bright light of day, I walk into my bike room and -well the obvious couldn't have caught my eye any more intense had the spoke been gold plated.
    4X lacing on the oem wheels.
    I was only seeing the spoke crossing the spokes on the same side.
    Yep, that loud smack everyone heard this morning,was my palm hitting my forehead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger63 View Post
    Yep, that loud smack everyone heard this morning,was my palm hitting my forehead.
    I think you have solved the buddhist koan, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" The sound is "Doh!"
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm chuckling because my middle name is "DOH". Remind me, some day, to tell you about the custom plate glass desk top that I measured and ordered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I think you have solved the buddhist koan, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" The sound is "Doh!"
    YES! Then I should be well on my way to enlightenment.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An old joke...........why do they have hunched shoulders and sloping foreheads. "I don't know..............Doh"