rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another new bike post-big pic-not for purists

Here it is another new bike post. I suggest that it is not for the purist as I have a fairly non-standard set-up. It is a Dean El Diente titanium frame with an Ouzo Pro carbon front fork. It has a FSA wing pro handlebar (compact), Cane Creek brakes and levers, Dura-ace dt shifters, campy carbon compact crank (48-34), record fd, a Shimano xt rd with a Sheldon Brown 9 spd cassette (14-34), DA chain, Specialized carbon seatpost and Specialized saddle. The wheels are Velocity aeroheads and the tires are Mich. pros.
    I know it seems a bit of a mutt but so am I. Now if only the snow will melt and the rains wash the salt off of the roads.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's a bike with an interesting pedigree. Can't say I've seen one with that gearing on it - nothing particularly high but a lot of nice cruising gears and some easy hill climbers.

The whole setup makes sense to me. Did you build it up yourself?

What are you plans for it?

If you ever ride the Badger Trail with it, I might ID you due to those yellow handlebars.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post

Here it is another new bike post. I suggest that it is not for the purist as I have a fairly non-standard set-up. It is a Dean El Diente titanium frame with an Ouzo Pro carbon front fork. It has a FSA wing pro handlebar (compact), Cane Creek brakes and levers, Dura-ace dt shifters, campy carbon compact crank (48-34), record fd, a Shimano xt rd with a Sheldon Brown 9 spd cassette (14-34), DA chain, Specialized carbon seatpost and Specialized saddle. The wheels are Velocity aeroheads and the tires are Mich. pros.
    I know it seems a bit of a mutt but so am I. Now if only the snow will melt and the rains wash the salt off of the roads.
    Not so much of a mutt...I put a SRAM 11-34 Cassette on my Record 10spd bike and it works just fine. I have it on with a triple crankset. The gear range I have on the bike is 23 to 138 inches. Pretty impressive. I can climb anything here in Colorado and never get out of the saddle. Have a good year riding.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah..ha. Another of those matching bar tape, bottle cage, tire stripe and bike color guys/riders/whatever. Welcome to the crew.

Nice looking bike (even though the white is very dirty)

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a little late now, but you did you know the Aerohead and Aerohead O/C come in yellow? Nice wheels though. I love my blue Aeroheads.

Nice looking ride anyway. I go the other way on gearing, preferring close-ratio, but to each their own. That's why there's so much choice!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the nn bike??? Nice!!!

You can use a SRAM cassette with campy? I would like to do that same set-up then. You use a SRAM chain then?

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking clean bike. Did you begin riding it with that setup, or is it something you tweaked over time.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. Ti is real, too.
    I like the parts mix. The gearing would be great for mountain climbing. I would probably run a 12-28 on the rear for a bit more top end, but that's me. It's not my bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a bike put together by someone who knows what they want. Hope you enjoy the daylights out of it.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pretty bike. It's kind of funny, I've reading about titanium bikes and they sound like it may be something to consider. Anyhow, you got a beauty.
    George

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom B.-it was assembled by the fine people at Atkins Cycle in Verona and the frameset was the one I picked up at that the bike swap.
    Solveg-the rear cassette is a Shimano and I'm using a DA chain, altough my c-dale has a mix of Shimano and (older) Sram that works well together. I'm unsure of a campy, sram mix.
    p8rider-I confess that I have yet to ride it as I just picked it up and I'm waiting for the weather to clear. I did, however, set it up this way predicated on years of riding sw wi. short, steep hills with never enough speed going down to get you up the next one.
    tsi-no I didn't.
    maddmax-I hadn't intended on the "matching" tires but they were there and what else could I do?
    And thanks to all others for the nice comments and ignore the test,test,nn threads as I will.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you worry about salt with a Ti bike?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Atkins. Dan is a great guy. I get some of my work done there. It is the closest LBS to my house - about 6 miles away. I'm about to haul my recumbent over there to change the crankset to one with shorter crank arms.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very, very nice bike. I know you can't wait to get it out on the road. Just be sure and stick some pedals on it before you leave the house!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is simply beautiful. I'm envious of those of you who know just what to go to, to build up a bike with exactly what you want on it. I love the colors too.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Click the pic.
    Last edited by Skipper; 03-06-08 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd ride it
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWESOME! You'll have to send it down here to S. Ca so we can get it in shape for you when the weather breaks!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    AWESOME! You'll have to send it down here to S. Ca so we can get it in shape for you when the weather breaks!
    Yeh! You can have it for a week, and then I'll try it out.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mutt?????
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Makes a lot of sense to me.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Very nice. Makes a lot of sense to me.
    I agree, it's a very sensible bike - wide range gears, handlbar chosen to fit the hand, light parts and frame, what could be better?

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bike is gorgeous!!! Love the looks of it. Have fun.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. I like the "mutt" drive train...I did a similar mongrel thing on my bike -- a triple DA crankset w/DA brifters but an XTR rear derailleur to handle a wide-range cassette. Like a poster above, I have a very wide range of gears. I'll go slow, but don't want to walk up hills.

I really like the down-tube shifters you put on, too.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Very nice. I like the "mutt" drive train...I did a similar mongrel thing on my bike -- a triple DA crankset w/DA brifters but an XTR rear derailleur to handle a wide-range cassette. .
    Hey ..its your bike. If you like it we're old enough not to care what others think of our rides.

My road bike runs an XT 12-32, XT rear D/R, and a bad set of knees. It works okay.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast